• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black cordovan. Alden 993. Part of me asks what is the fuss? But these are second hand and showing some age/fading. So will they not respond to brushing like the #8 (which is the only other I've worked on)? There is some improvement in the shine but I was looking for more. One shot inside, one out so -1 for comparisons. Still some of that cloudy look. Thanks for any comments.
61540172364__0E31EC6B-DCB4-45B8-A3CD-E5B92648AE66.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE’s history is very remarkable no doubt. Makes present day AE very sad to see. There is almost nobody left there in management capacity from even the Grangaard era let alone John’s time.

I would be very surprised if AE still makes shoes in Port ten years from now. Their path mirrors J&M more and more with each passing year. Who knows how long Calares will hold them either. I don’t think their investment been very fruitful.
Not to be contentious, but if I could count the number of times someone has said something similar to this, over the last 20 years, I’d be at a big number.

I’ll tell you this much, Grangaard and crew did good and bad things for AE. Quality under Grangaard took a steep nosedive as he pushed production past capacity at Port Washington. Frankly, my two Calares era pairs are actually much better executed than the late Grangaard-era pair I have.

I’ll also tell you this much: AE probably wouldn’t have survived this period under private equity. Without the pockets of a multi-billion (revenue) corporation behind them, they’d almost certainly be facing bankruptcy with little reorg potential (e.g. little in the way of DIP financing options). I think it’s highly likely we’ll see one or more of the other smaller shoe companies fold during this mess. As of right now, apparel companies are bleeding red-ink, shoes are no exception. While I have no love for Caleres, AE (and Port Washington production) stands a much better chance of survival today, under Caleres, than had they stayed independent or in Private Equity land.

Just IMHO, 2cents, etc..

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black cordovan. Alden 993. Part of me asks what is the fuss? But these are second hand and showing some age/fading. So will they not respond to brushing like the #8 (which is the only other I've worked on)? There is some improvement in the shine but I was looking for more. One shot inside, one out so -1 for comparisons. Still some of that cloudy look. Thanks for any comments.
View attachment 1417414 View attachment 1417415
993 is still dead sexy.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be contentious, but if I could count the number of times someone has said something similar to this, over the last 20 years, I’d be at a big number.

I’ll tell you this much, Grangaard and crew did good and bad things for AE. Quality under Grangaard took a steep nosedive as he pushed production past capacity at Port Washington. Frankly, my two Calares era pairs are actually much better executed than the late Grangaard-era pair I have.

I’ll also tell you this much: AE probably wouldn’t have survived this period under private equity. Without the pockets of a multi-billion (revenue) corporation behind them, they’d almost certainly be facing bankruptcy with little reorg potential (e.g. little in the way of DIP financing options). I think it’s highly likely we’ll see one or more of the other smaller shoe companies fold during this mess. As of right now, apparel companies are bleeding red-ink, shoes are no exception. While I have no love for Caleres, AE (and Port Washington production) stands a much better chance of survival today, under Caleres, than had they stayed independent or in Private Equity land.

Just IMHO, 2cents, etc..
I agree with your points wholeheartedly. Stories of AE’s demise have been going of for a very long time. Some points were/are valid and many takes were completely unfounded.

I love AE and want nothing more than for them to succeed. With that being said, from what I have seen and heard, we will be looking at a very different company in the near future. Better? Worse? TBD I suppose.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1417414 View attachment 1417415
All shell definitely responds to brushing, but sometimes product is necessary.
A bit of natural or black cordovan cream will get them popping. That said, know that black shell is a deeper almost grey-black jelly bean rather than straight up black of calf.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All shell definitely responds to brushing, but sometimes product is necessary.
A bit of natural or black cordovan cream will get them popping. That said, know that black shell is a deeper almost grey-black jelly bean rather than straight up black of calf.
Thanks. Of course I don't have any cordovan cream. These have a bit of renovateur on them.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Medallion suggests Hanover

Oh, yes it is. Not a big mystery, but fun to stumble on to some shell to play with. Sadly, on closer inspection, they have led a hard life.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8.5 to 9.5, maybe??

Hard to say as the size is worn away. I can only read the last portions of "Combination last." Exterior sole size is 12 inches by 4.25 inches.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A65B41B1-12EF-495A-80BE-C7ECDE668817.jpeg
DF3DF483-71C2-462B-9EFA-DFE90FCB8DF0.jpeg

Some Alden history for today - “DeRosa”.

Whether it be a cap toe, nst, u-tip or otherwise, Alden has many versions of the DeRosa Blucher. It is characterized by this particular heel counter/overlay with the rectangular stitching at the base of the heel.

DeRosa was the name of the guy who designed this pattern and that rectangle was his signature. Alden purchased the pattern from him in the 1940s or 50s and kept the name and the stitch signature as an homage.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
AE was already in trouble pre-pandemic but this period will certainly not help matters.

I think the time for them to double down on MiUSA and raising the bar on quality has long since passed but I certainly could be wrong. They have already stripped down every aspect of the shoe from components to the grade of leathers. Not sure it’s possible to turn back now.

Maybe. There's not really anything stopping them from going more upscale. I just think they are in no mans land at the moment. Who is buying $400 mainline AE at this point? I'm not. Who's buying their imported shoes for whatever -- $300ish. Not me. I'll buy their shell deeply discounted but that's about it. I actually think AE still represents decent value if you factor in the the store presence and size selection. But at least for me, at retail, there isn't enough value in the product or, frankly, interesting designs for me to make a purchase. AE reminds me a lot of the US car companies. Too much baggage, product isn't focused enough or compelling enough with a handful of exceptional models that get lost among a lot of very mediocre product.

By the way, as an aside, AE seems to be in the midst of getting rid of the Independence line... so I probably have no idea what I am talking about.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with your points wholeheartedly. Stories of AE’s demise have been going of for a very long time. Some points were/are valid and many takes were completely unfounded.

I love AE and want nothing more than for them to succeed. With that being said, from what I have seen and heard, we will be looking at a very different company in the near future. Better? Worse? TBD I suppose.
Thing is, like Florsheim’s of old, AE’s (even of recent Port Washington vintage) are generally well made and of solid materials, so despite fairly small overall production numbers, there’s a pretty big supply of miUSA AE’s on the secondary market (going back a long way). So if Caleres loses their minds and shuts miUSA (highly unlikely, IMHO, given that luxury brands trade on their historical status, where they’re made, etc.), or they suddenly decide everything is a wingtip sneaker (much more worryingly possible), there’s a big supply for us shoe-doomsday-preppers (aka everyone on this thread).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads