• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

right_hook

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Bedford from February of 1976. Style number 4343 made on the Bancroft Last. This shoe first appeared in the 1965 catalog through 1983.

1976 Catalog pictures included. Bancroft Last appears to be the same as 73 last. The Chester, which I know for a fact was made on 73, is also listed as Bancroft from that era.

Also, if the price notation on the 76 catalog page is accurate, I paid less for these in 2020 than they cost in 1976.
View attachment 1416506 View attachment 1416507 View attachment 1416508 View attachment 1416511 View attachment 1416512 View attachment 1416513 View attachment 1416514

They are really good looking shoes!!

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy first, ask questions later. Well, almost. Any dating help from the community on these Florsheim? Thanks
1593708267343.png

1593708209509.png

1593708308047.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy first, ask questions later. Well, almost. Any dating help from the community on these Florsheim? Thanks
View attachment 1416898
View attachment 1416897
View attachment 1416899

The info at vcleat.com states this is a 1980s model made of Bourbon Cortez leather. The date code would be for 1983. Be sure to check out vcleat.com as @davidVC has a wealth of information there. What is Cortez leather? David says, "Not sure what that is but it might be top grain leather."

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my thinking too. But I'm talking about a way longer time horizon. For example, lets say someone out there has a pair of vintage shell that were bought 40 years ago, worn every sunday, and properly maintained. Still good? I think - yes. But I'm not in a position to give any kind of authoritative answer on that considering the oldest shell that I bought new is still only 5-10 years old.

I agree, if you care for the pair and maintain the upper, it should last a long time.

Buying a vintage Shell Cordovan pair is a bit of a gamble. A pair can look new but they might have been stored in someone's hot attic and are dried out and brittle. Conditioning will help but I don't think you can fully reverse the effects of long term neglect.

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out this morning to buy some materials to build a Purple Martin house, which was the perfect excuse to pop into my local Value Village to look for used shoes. I clearly don't need a very good excuse! I found one pair of slightly used Blue Label Florsheim in black by McHale as well as a matching NOS pair in brown; both 10.5E. They should date to the late 70's thru mid-80's. Very fine shoes which will go to defray the cost of my Purple Martin house. The only thing cheap about building one is the birds.

IMG_4580.jpg
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4583.jpg

Last edited:

vestbash

Reaction score
Question 2: what's up with shell and cracking? Is shell overly prone to crack? (I don't have a pair in shell, so no experience with it) There seems to be a lot of cracking going on in this thread, but much less so with calf.

Shell is particularly susceptible to certain types of damage that calf skin leather is not, but with most leathers, if the leather is dry it can crack which cannot be fixed (but you can hide or disguise it). The manufacturers of the vintage shoes that are discussed in this thread made shell cordovan shoes to varying levels of quality and there are quirks with particular models, designs, and manufacturers. It's hard to tell from even very high quality photos if a particular pair of vintage shells will withstand further wear unless there is something glaringly wrong with them, so you really need to be able to handle the shoes and check the temper and closely inspect for damage and cracks. For vintage Florsheim shell LWBs there is probably 1 or 2 truly viable pairs for long term wear for every 10 you see, if you were to evaluate on a fairly rigorous standard.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell saddle (993)- I looked around but can't really find a satisfying answer. These are second hand. I brushed for 20 min and then put a wee bit of Renovateur on them. Black came off on my fingers with application of. So what is the best way to get old polish off shell? Thanks.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Alden shell saddle (993)- I looked around but can't really find a satisfying answer. These are second hand. I brushed for 20 min and then put a wee bit of Renovateur on them. Black came off on my fingers with application of. So what is the best way to get old polish off shell? Thanks.

Renomat. Don't use alcohol, it will strip alden's coating. Another option is VSC with intense scrubbing with a microfiber. I've done that with good effect but it really depends just how much polish we are talking about.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renomat. Don't use alcohol, it will strip alden's coating. Another option is VSC with intense scrubbing with a microfiber. I've done that with good effect but it really depends just how much polish we are talking about.
I was unsure about renomat. But I have a big jug ;) thanks. Bingo! First application. I knew it didn't feel right! Ok, I'll be busy for a while. (this material is so cool)

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I was unsure about renomat. But I have a big jug ;) thanks

I find it to be fine. I used it for a similar situation with a pair of inexpensive shell AEs that someone had botched with years of excess polish. Night and day difference. As with renomat generally --- go easy and condition afterwards, which you prob already knew perfectly well if you have a big jug of it.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend offered these up to me recently because he knows I like vintage shoes and my shop is in Raleigh.

Any of you guys have an idea of what these might be?

View attachment 1416943 View attachment 1416944 View attachment 1416945 View attachment 1416946 View attachment 1416947
View attachment 1416943 View attachment 1416944 View attachment 1416945 View attachment 1416946 View attachment 1416947
Look at the stylized name (Ra Leigh), which appears to be a portmanteau. I can't figure out what the two words would be, though. Any way you slice it, those are some sweet kicks.

happypebble

Reaction score
Shell is particularly susceptible to certain types of damage that calf skin leather is not, but with most leathers, if the leather is dry it can crack which cannot be fixed (but you can hide or disguise it). The manufacturers of the vintage shoes that are discussed in this thread made shell cordovan shoes to varying levels of quality and there are quirks with particular models, designs, and manufacturers. It's hard to tell from even very high quality photos if a particular pair of vintage shells will withstand further wear unless there is something glaringly wrong with them, so you really need to be able to handle the shoes and check the temper and closely inspect for damage and cracks. For vintage Florsheim shell LWBs there is probably 1 or 2 truly viable pairs for long term wear for every 10 you see, if you were to evaluate on a fairly rigorous standard.
Ah, I see. In other words, if I want a good pair in shell, buy new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads