• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever get the feeling that no matter how much work you put into a pair of shoes, you're just polishing a turd?
Yeah. I think we’ve all been there.
YqlY4yp.jpg

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. A spade sole. Looks pretty stout. Anyone wear them? I don't know much about Cole Haan history.
View attachment 1414855
Made approx 12-15 years ago as a limited run. I was eyeing them at the time, but decided against.

happypebble

Reaction score
Yeah. I think we’ve all been there.
YqlY4yp.jpg
Hey, I have the lace up version of this! Florsheim Decaturs, from +/-2011. They are kind of turd-esque, but actually make OK work shoes. My pair was $5 plus shipping, so I can trash them at work and it doesn't matter.

happypebble

Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand when the Charles Chester shoe company went under? I'm trying to date my pair.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have the lace up version of this! Florsheim Decaturs, from +/-2011. They are kind of turd-esque, but actually make OK work shoes. My pair was $5 plus shipping, so I can trash them at work and it doesn't matter.
In my case, I didn’t purchase those for myself, which meant I kinda had to wear them, if ya know what I mean. For quite a while, they were my “around the house” shoes. I found them to be pretty awful, as they lacked the defined heel lift that I need for a shoe to be comfortable. I couldn’t wear them for a walk, for example. They got worse as all the PU foam stuff collapsed. Finally the interiors just self destructed, and I could throw them out without fear of “but I bought those for you”.

Through it all, I kept taking care of the uppers, trying to make them look as decent as a pair of hideously ugly, mid-2000’s business-casual comfort loafery-things can look. Literally polishing a turd.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m buying the box, entering in the shoe box restoration challenge, a competition that I just made up, and declaring myself the winner.
A well conceived plan, sir. Might I ask, does the award for first place happen to be a pair of shoes?

happypebble

Reaction score
In my case, I didn’t purchase those for myself, which meant I kinda had to wear them, if ya know what I mean. For quite a while, they were my “around the house” shoes. I found them to be pretty awful, as they lacked the defined heel lift that I need for a shoe to be comfortable. I couldn’t wear them for a walk, for example. They got worse as all the PU foam stuff collapsed. Finally the interiors just self destructed, and I could throw them out without fear of “but I bought those for you”.

Through it all, I kept taking care of the uppers, trying to make them look as decent as a pair of hideously ugly, mid-2000’s business-casual comfort loafery-things can look. Literally polishing a turd.
Hilarious. Well, now I know what I can look forward to with my pair. the previous owner must not have liked them as they were all but unworn when I got them. I'll watch for them to spectacularly fall apart. Comfortech!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilarious. Well, now I know what I can look forward to with my pair. the previous owner must not have liked them as they were all but unworn when I got them. I'll watch for them to spectacularly fall apart. Comfortech!
I (really) hate to ask this... but you mentioned yours were a lace-up version. I’m having trouble visualizing what they could possibly look like: can you post a picture, so that my OCD addled brain can put this question to rest?

Just be sure to spoiler it, that way @smfdoc doesn’t kick me off the thread for instigating posts of awful non-vintage shoes (something I’m probably on probation for already).

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made approx 12-15 years ago as a limited run. I was eyeing them at the time, but decided against.
Yeah, that model was called the Trafton. It was Cole Haan's signature model for a year. The styling was over the top. The reviews were not good as I remember. Uncomfortable and like @mormonopoly mentions, creased heavily due to plastic-like upper.

Classic shoes for men has a few listed:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads