• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Aberdeen in 13 D just fine. Check the chart I put in the spoiler though. A lot of the Alden obsessives on the web have opinions about lasts, so I recommend reading some of those too.
So I’m going to pass, but not because they won’t fit (they almost certainly would be a good fit), or because I don’t like them (I do), but because I’m really pushing my luck with spousal customs. I just barely got away with those Strawfut’s.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooops. I seem to have bought the Freeman Bootmaker Guild LWBs that were on @davidVC ’s list. I’m not sure how that happens. I thought I was on a buying hiatus.

Here are some of the eBay photos while we wait for shipping. These are a 13B, so more likely a winter shoe for me since I'll have to wear thicker socks to make them fit. But I'd never seen a Bootmaker Guild model in my size, and they're really clean with a v-cleat. Seemed like the right thing to do.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dilemma: This is a 1980 or 1990 pair (additional photos from the seller). I already have a pair of 93603s that I rarely wear. Part of the reason I never wear them is that there is some spotting on the vamp. I haven't really dug in on cleaning attempt to see how well the spots will come out (tiny splatter type spots on both shoes). If I'm wearing jeans and want a PTB, i'm more likely to grab the LB Sheppard shell ones.

I know you're all going to tell me it's my duty to buy these, so those responses are already invalid. If I had a more normal size, I could flip the pair I already have since these would require less work to really shine. But since the resale market for my shoes is almost non-existent, I would basically be spending another $50 to not work on the other shoes, and then have them taking up space in my closet. Unless I opted to dye them a different color....

@mreams99 -- I would probably have to clear out the AE Gridirons (with matching belt) to make room for these. Still interested?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been quoted no more than $100 to replace a welt- I didn’t realize it was so involved.

Edit: I’ve never inquired about replacing the insole, I thought that came together with re-welting. How much does such work tend to run?
So “tend to run” wouldn’t be the way I’d look at it, as it’s very rare that the actual insole is replaced on a welted shoe (we’re not talking heel-liner, sock-liner or orthotic padding, I mean actual insole). General rule is that if the insoles are shot, then the shoe is done. You’d need Bedo’s or BNelson level skills to do the work, and that means it’ll cost more than the price of a new pair.

right_hook

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Must... resist... urge...

Rx

Alden 684, 13C. Clean, condition, buff. Buff more. Insert trees and wait one day. Wear as needed.

Dr. Smfdoc
6 Refills.

(Now you can tell the wife they were prescribed.)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to pass, but not because they won’t fit (they almost certainly would be a good fit), or because I don’t like them (I do), but because I’m really pushing my luck with spousal customs. I just barely got away with those Strawfut’s.

Let spousal customs know that this pair must be purchased. You have a fiduciary obligation to this brotherhood. The legal consequences of not fulfilling the obligation is not only significant, but would be time consuming when you are hauled before the Grand Council for a hearing on your future status in said brotherhood.

It would be cheaper, and less of a hassle to buy them.

Ask her the costs of legal representation. What would THAT cost in NY state? I suspect one hour of just consultation is more than the pair of shoes.

If they fit, they ship.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dilemma: This is a 1980 or 1990 pair (additional photos from the seller). I already have a pair of 93603s that I rarely wear. Part of the reason I never wear them is that there is some spotting on the vamp. I haven't really dug in on cleaning attempt to see how well the spots will come out (tiny splatter type spots on both shoes). If I'm wearing jeans and want a PTB, i'm more likely to grab the LB Sheppard shell ones.

I know you're all going to tell me it's my duty to buy these, so those responses are already invalid. If I had a more normal size, I could flip the pair I already have since these would require less work to really shine. But since the resale market for my shoes is almost non-existent, I would basically be spending another $50 to not work on the other shoes, and then have them taking up space in my closet. Unless I opted to dye them a different color....

@mreams99 -- I would probably have to clear out the AE Gridirons (with matching belt) to make room for these. Still interested?

Is this a dream?

Just last week I posted something on the Allen Edmonds thread about my issues with the 511 last. I typically wear a 13B. My left foot is a little longer than 13, but my right foot is a little shorter (more like a 12-1/2). On the shorter AE lasts (like the 511), the size 13B can sometimes be a little too short for my left foot. Not always — but probably more often than not. I do have a couple of pairs where it works.

I eventually decided try size 14 in the 511 last. I’ve tried a few pairs between 14AA and 14B. And last week I posted that from here on out, I’m going with the 14s.

But, these are the Gridiron. A pair I’ve wanted for a long time. And sometimes the 13B will (barely) work for that left foot. If these fit a little long, they might be OK.

Has anyone had any luck trying to stretch a pair for a little extra length? Or would I be better off getting my toes shortened?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let spousal customs know that this pair must be purchased. You have a fiduciary obligation to this brotherhood. The legal consequences of not fulfilling the obligation is not only significant, but would be time consuming when you are hauled before the Grand Council for a hearing on your future status in said brotherhood.

Ask her the costs of legal representation. What would THAT cost in NY state? I suspect one hour of just consultation is more than the pair of shoes.

If they fit, they ship.
Dear Sir,

If I’ve learned anything from my general counsel, it’s to never attempt to act as your own attorney in legal matters. As such, I feel your specialized expertise and representation are required in this matter. Therefore, please post your phone number, so that my wife can contact you directly, regarding this subject.

I’ve also been advised that Dr. smfdoc has volunteered to provide expert testimony in this matter, so I’ll assume you have all necessary resources needed for executing an effective arbitration strategy with my spousal customs.

Sincerely,

The artist formerly know as Misterfu

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve been quoted no more than $100 to replace a welt- I didn’t realize it was so involved.

Edit: I’ve never inquired about replacing the insole, I thought that came together with re-welting. How much does such work tend to run?
Well, when Bedos has pulled apart GYW shoes to replace insoles, they've been $700+ jobs...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this a dream?

Just last week I posted something on the Allen Edmonds thread about my issues with the 511 last. I typically wear a 13B. My left foot is a little longer than 13, but my right foot is a little shorter (more like a 12-1/2). On the shorter AE lasts (like the 511), the size 13B can sometimes be a little too short for my left foot. Not always — but probably more often than not. I do have a couple of pairs where it works.

I eventually decided try size 14 in the 511 last. I’ve tried a few pairs between 14AA and 14B. And last week I posted that from here on out, I’m going with the 14s.

But, these are the Gridiron. A pair I’ve wanted for a long time. And sometimes the 13B will (barely) work for that left foot. If these fit a little long, they might be OK.

Has anyone had any luck trying to stretch a pair for a little extra length? Or would I be better off getting my toes shortened?
If you need length, I'd say you're out of luck. If you just need a bit more width in the taper, some targeted stretching like my pen trick might give you a bit more clearance

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, when Bedos has pulled apart GYW shoes to replace insoles, they've been $700+ jobs...
Yeah, and if I remember correctly, in such cases it was either a very rare shoe, or the owner had some sentimental attachment to the shoe. Separating the insole from the upper takes you from heavy recraft territory, deep into a full remake of the shoe. Put simply, the insoles in a welted shoe are not intended to be removed for the lifetime of the shoe.

That said, as your shoe ages, use cedar trees and occasionally (once or twice a year) condition the insoles, and the insoles will outlast the rest of the shoe.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Rx

Alden 684, 13C. Clean, condition, buff. Buff more. Insert trees and wait one day. Wear as needed.

Dr. Smfdoc
6 Refills.

(Now you can tell the wife they were prescribed.)

If they fit, they ship.

@wasmisterfu

As a fellow engineer, I advise you to buy them base on cost to quality ratio.

So now you have medical advice, legal, and engineering advice to procure them.

You only need an accountant's advice to confirm that it is a wise 'investment'.

happypebble

Reaction score
If you need length, I'd say you're out of luck. If you just need a bit more width in the taper, some targeted stretching like my pen trick might give you a bit more clearance
pen trick? What's that? I have a couple pairs that need to be just a smidge wider at the widest part of the foot/of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads