• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nikolau

Reaction score
Can someone comment on the providence of these shoes? I don’t think florsheim ever had blind channeled soles, so these appear to have a cemented construction. That said, the liner, logo, and lack of country of origin makes me think these were made sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. The ghost of the Florsheim logo under the ball of the foot makes me think these are factory soles with little wear.

The soles look like the early made in Indian models to me.

Have any of you heard of, or experienced, the “designer collection” from Florsheim?

View attachment 1400149 View attachment 1400150 View attachment 1400151
1EA8E3E6-CED7-4DAE-B55A-1FA319337A06.jpeg
53E3F544-34C2-4F00-996B-3D11DA2EE953.jpeg
0B1A01B1-C5BF-4A2A-A65A-6A9718EF35E2.jpeg
7568F840-05AE-4C9F-B74A-0B4CB07BDCD3.jpeg

Last edited:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone comment on the providence of these shoes? I don’t think florsheim ever had blind channeled soles, so these appear to have a cemented construction. That said, the liner, logo, and lack of country of origin makes me think these were made sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. The ghost of the Florsheim logo under the ball of the foot makes me think these are factory soles with little wear.

The soles look like the early made an Indian models to me.

Have any of you heard of, or experienced, the “designer collection” from Florsheim?

View attachment 1400149 View attachment 1400150 View attachment 1400151 View attachment 1400152 View attachment 1400154 View attachment 1400162 View attachment 1400163
Florsheim made many shoes with blind stitched soles back in their prime in the 1950s and earlier. These shoes are like you said from the 80s/90s. To be honest, they look very low quality to me.

hamercha

Reaction score
Florsheim made many shoes with blind stitched soles back in their prime in the 1950s and earlier. These shoes are like you said from the 80s/90s. To be honest, they look very low quality to me.
Cheap and thin leather, fiber insole makes it closer to late 80’s or 90’s.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon gentlemen.

A question for all of you who have worked magic with older shell cordovan.

Here is my pair of vintage Aldens for Brooks Brothers. I have done a lot of work (brushing, leather defender, Saphir Renovateur), but the creases in the shell are pretty discolored and look “worn”. Take a close look at the left shoe...

They look pretty great when I put them in trees and give them a quick brush. But they go back to this state when I put them on my feet.

1518D991-B60D-4B0E-B612-75680A64D968.jpeg

6B958700-252D-4A94-BECA-4C19E725F2E6.jpeg

Thoughts? Have I done everything I can?

AHS

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon gentlemen.

A question for all of you who have worked magic with older shell cordovan.

Here is my pair of vintage Aldens for Brooks Brothers. I have done a lot of work (brushing, leather defender, Saphir Renovateur), but the creases in the shell are pretty discolored and look “worn”. Take a close look at the left shoe...

They look pretty great when I put them in trees and give them a quick brush. But they go back to this state when I put them on my feet.

View attachment 1400462

View attachment 1400472

Thoughts? Have I done everything I can?

AHS
Hello, fellow Bay Area thrift dinner attendee! Seems like a long time ago. I would try 2-3000 grit sanding pads from the auto parts store with Bick4, after a stiff bristle brushing, also with Bick 4 in the mix.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Weyenberg-branded Brannock device arrived yesterday. I am definitely a 13. My left foot is slightly more narrow (A) than my right (A/B cusp). That would explain why I have more pain points in my right shoe, mostly at the top of the fifth metatarsal.

The real oddity seems to be arch-length — left is a 14 and right is a 15. Not sure whether it is typical for arch length measurements to be considerably longer than foot ones.

FCFAE600-721F-431B-ABAF-8EEFA4C276BB.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Weyenberg-branded Brannock device arrived yesterday. I am definitely a 13. My left foot is slightly more narrow (A) than my right (A/B cusp). That would explain why I have more pain points in my right shoe, mostly at the top of the fifth metatarsal.

The real oddity seems to be arch-length — left is a 14 and right is a 15. Not sure whether it is typical for arch length measurements to be considerably longer than foot ones.

View attachment 1400539
Man, that is pretty darn neat.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got done hydrating and putting a touch of neutral wax on this recently acquired pair. I had planned on some high-concept photography in the backyard, but now it looks like it’s going to rain, so crappy photos inbound.

Vintage violation:

M11Agg7.jpg

OIQd2Q4.jpg

BOMmhkA.jpg

Man, I wanted a pair of these for the longest time (stupidly not buying a pair when they were available). This pair is the first really nice example I’ve seen in my size, usually they’re overpriced and beat to crap. Confirmed only worn twice, 115 bucks with shoe trees and shipping... I punched that BIN harder than Mike Tyson in a roid rage.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1400539
very cool. my rt foot is wider than my left for sure. so, you have some company.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My man @CWOyaji hooked me up with these vintage 8264 Chestnut Polished Cobbler AE Polo’s from 1982. Damn if I don’t love this weird early 80’s orange-brown bizarre color. It’s the same PC color my 2018 competition shoes started as (but were in terrible condition). They had a bunch of brown wax on them, which were obfuscating the wacky chestnut color, so they got full saddle-soaping, which took off all that goo.

82Nu06R.jpg

I took a new approach to attempting to hydrate the leather under the PU coat: I dumped a ton of AE leather lotion from the inside out, through the linings... and I think it worked, as I was able to lessen the creasing quite noticeably. Overall quality is typical of this era of AE’s: excellent.

2UrEjS7.jpg

1YtHhLf.jpg

0g2f2VM.jpg

I also like the subtle orange welt top-stitch, and other weirdness with this pair. Definitely an early 80’s time capsule, that were (lucky for me) a bit too narrow for @CWOyaji.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My man @CWOyaji hooked me up with these vintage 8264 Chestnut Polished Cobbler AE Polo’s from 1982. Damn if I don’t love this weird early 80’s orange-brown bizarre color. It’s the same PC color my 2018 competition shoes started as (but were in terrible condition). They had a bunch of brown wax on them, which were obfuscating the wacky chestnut color, so they got full saddle-soaping, which took off all that goo.

82Nu06R.jpg

I took a new approach to attempting to hydrate the leather under the PU coat: I dumped a ton of AE leather lotion from the inside out, through the linings... and I think it worked, as I was able to lessen the creasing quite noticeably. Overall quality is typical of this era of AE’s: excellent.

2UrEjS7.jpg

1YtHhLf.jpg

0g2f2VM.jpg

I also like the subtle orange welt top-stitch, and other weirdness with this pair. Definitely an early 80’s time capsule, that were (lucky for me) a bit too narrow for @CWOyaji.
Those look great! They were a little long for me and I don't think I wore them more than twice since thrifting them, so I'm happy they found a new home with someone who really likes saddle Sheltons.
1591319604974.png

1591319642360.png

Last edited:

Raimar

Reaction score

The soles look like the early made in Indian models to me.

I have seen designer collection florsheims before and did a bit of research back then. This is from ebay (glad is still there):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-FLORS...-Designer-Collection-VINTAGE-AD-/281325690646

The ebay seller says ad is from 1977. Not sure how long these "European Inspired Designer Collection" was in Florsheim's catalog but I assume if made in the 70s they are probably better quality than what is available now, so if you are buying for yourself and you like the style you should go for them
s-l400.jpg .
It would be interesting to find out if they are blake stitched or just glued. Also, if they don't specify country of manufacture, they most likely were made in the USA.
Found link to 1983 florsheim catalog:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1983-vintage-florsheim-shoe-catalog-1937940857

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads