• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of very rare Dack's Viscounts from the early to mid 50's. They just popped up on the@davidVC list. This is only the second pair of the Viscounts that I have seen. The vendor did not list the size, but the measurements make me think they are a 9 or a 9.5 C. Original soles and nailed heels. The advert is from 1952.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1952 The Viscount.JPG

Last edited:

right_hook

Reaction score
$150 is a lot for a shoe brush. I wouldn't pay that much to comb my hair. Unless it helps with my thinning centre. I figure it will be cheaper just to shave my head.
It will be even more cheaper as we know where to get spare badger brush for the puprose (calling @CWOyaji here). I think those properts boot cream leftovers on the badger will bring awesome shine with london tan effect on your shaved head as well :D

kilowatts

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree on this point. Dacks and all the historic Canadian shoe manufacturers used the US sizing system without exception. The re-opened Dacks did sell some Spanish and English made shoes using the English sizing, and that can be a bit confusing. Historically even Dacks and Hartt's imported Bond street and Gold Bond lines were sized using the US system.
Hi Jiqea:
Ok, I’ll agree with that. I guess you’re right, it is confusing.
kilowatts

happypebble

Reaction score
Uh oh! The soles are coming loose (unglued) on my Foot So Port walking shoes. Do I: 1. Superglue them myself. 2. Visit the cobbler 3. Visit the trash can

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh oh! The soles are coming loose (unglued) on my Foot So Port walking shoes. Do I: 1. Superglue them myself. 2. Visit the cobbler 3. Visit the trash can

I always vote for a competent cobbler to fix them. Especially if you like the shoes and want to keep them.

happypebble

Reaction score
I always vote for a competent cobbler to fix them. Especially if you like the shoes and want to keep them.
Yeah, probably. They were new old stock when I got them, never worn, and I've only worn them 2 or 3 times.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. That is the magic pudding. Great stuff for a high shine.

Use this more than Saphir has some oil in it that penetrates and nourishes and colours the leather.
i had a simpler problem with my near unworn Edwin Clapps. My cobbler says it is that the soles have dried out.
Edwin Clapp Longwings 1.jpg
Edwin Clapp Longwings 4.jpg

Soles basically came away stitching probably dried out as well. Yet as you see from the original heels... hardly worn. Bit of a ***** as they had just been Topyed

Last edited:

The Sandman

Reaction score
$150 is a lot for a shoe brush. I wouldn't pay that much to comb my hair.

Never tried the Kent Handmade hair brushes? Expensive but very special and worth the price imo. Otherwise, their non-handmade brushes work great too. For thinning hair the soft boar bristles (as compared to their regular) are amazing! Their combs are awesome as well (and not expensive).

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be even more cheaper as we know where to get spare badger brush for the puprose (calling @CWOyaji here). I think those properts boot cream leftovers on the badger will bring awesome shine with london tan effect on your shaved head as well :D
No shaved head over here! Could use a haircut though, last one was in mid March and the shops are still shut down here in the Bay Area.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$150 is a lot for a shoe brush. I wouldn't pay that much to comb my hair. Unless it helps with my thinning centre. I figure it will be cheaper just to shave my head.

We have one $150 boar bristle hairbrush in the house (Mason Pearson - gack, it looks like they're now pushing $200). It's really nice if you have hair. My hair is usually short enought it doesn't make a difference. Though these days, with COVID coiffures, there's more than enough hair to go around.

The Sandman

Reaction score
Would you consider these cleats to be pre ‘73 (flush with edge of heel) or post ‘73 (inset from edge of heel)?

74B2A9DD-5E16-4A0E-8CF7-309B9FCC79FB.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads