• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happypebble

Reaction score
Rocking my City Clubs on this Single Monk Strap Saturday. Smudge the cat approves.
20200530_095656_HDR.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have limited knowledge and have never handled a pair. But I love seeing my words on the internet, given that I can't hear my voice in court.

Duckie Brown was a limited edition collaboration between Florsheim and a California designer. Both companies decided this would be a premium product. They used Horween leather. Employed GYW process, and from what I have seen in pictures only, seemed to give a damn about QC.

The current Florsheims use subpar materials, cut corners on assembly and manufacturing process, and overall just slap glue on stuff. It's horrendous and disgraceful.

The anniversary series also seems decent from pictures. My "Limited" boots that I recently acquired is another demonstration that Florsheim still has a faint memory of their past. Granted, my pair shows many deficiencies and sloppy work. But still better than the regular line of products.
I’m gonna quote an old post (from May 26, 2018) from @smfdoc, as I don’t think anyone has ever put it better:

“What a fall for Florsheim in the past 40 years. It’s like a 3 star restaurant went downhill and now only sells bad hotdogs.”

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't find definitive info on their pricing when they were new, but my guess is that they went for around the $200 price point and were on sale around 2010.

I doubt they would hold up to regular use, but I'm keeping them for when I feel like wearing something a bit different.
At 200 bucks I’d consider those...
qZe7N4f.jpg

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sending out the vcleat signal to @davidVC : any idea how these 93605s might have come from two different pairs? I discovered it after I purchased them. The seller was surprised when I told him. Check out the different date and pair codes. Weird. View attachment 1397704 View attachment 1397705

I have seen it a couple times in Florsheim pairs but its probably been less than 5 or 10 times.

No idea why this happened.

It looks like one shoe has a "C" as the year code and the other a "G". But maybe both are "C". Or "G"

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that Duckie Browns Florsheims are of acceptable quality. Still made in India and all that. What makes them better than run of the mill Indian Florsheims?
Absolutely nothing. I’m serious. They just took their standard “better” models and did weird colors and stuff. I don’t think they were any better made, and I don’t think they were materially better.

The only recent Florsheim line, that I’ve handled and felt was substantially better than the rest of their dreck (in material quality and construction), was the 125th anniversary collection. Those really were quite nice.

These are a used example listed on eBay, so the photos are the real product, not gussied up marketing shots:

cZ6XGu2.jpg

Decent quality Horween leather.
lCqfK8n.jpg

Tight and solidly executed upper stitching.
qyRgDEX.jpg

Good quality sock liner.
IvqGjm2.jpg

Good quality veg-tanned linings, with decent construction.
P8Zh2Jd.jpg

Overall: great looking, nicely lasted, spade sole, solidly built and worth the 250 bucks I saw them listed for. Absolute proof that their Indian factory can produce a vastly better product than what they generally churn out.

While they aren’t perfect (they’re still made using a Texon fiberboard insole, rather than leather or a higher end synthetic, like Poron), they are so much better than what they’ve been shoveling at us, I just don’t get why they don’t run a proper Imperial line (with rotating styles) that are made like these shoes? Given their huge retail foot-print, with a product like this, they’d rapidly grab higher-margin market share from other players.

Unfortunately, Wayco management lacks imagination, so they keep Florsheim stuck only in a low-margin business, battling it out with other purveyors of glued crap (with a few CG Kenmoor GYW models, made using cheap insoles and PU foam bits).

Listing link, if interested:

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen it a couple times in Florsheim pairs but its probably been less than 5 or 10 times.

No idea why this happened.

It looks like one shoe has a "C" as the year code and the other a "G". But maybe both are "C". Or "G"
Thanks. The year code on both is C.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about acrylic finish on shell: can the shell actually absorb any moisturizer through the acrylic coat? Some people like to strip off the acrylic coating because they don’t like the look. The same people also say that the leather can’t absorb anything through the acrylic. What say you?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Anybody a 10E? At $70 BIN I would snarf them up if they were a 13 D, but no such luck. View attachment 1394173

@CWOyaji

These landed yesterday. I am 99% sure that these are from 1984. I was my son's age when these were produced. They are definitely in better shape than my old pair, which I am most likely going to dye green. Coincidentally, there is a tiny nick on the toe of this pair as well and I have not decided what, if anything, to do about it. For now, I am going to leave it as is since I will never see it in real life. Anyway, I had a chance to do some work on them today.

1. Clean / Sanitize insole and linings.
2. Wipe down upper with Lexol cleaner and a wet microfiber.
3. Two coats of Bick 4 on upper, lining, and insole.
4. Cleaned the welts with a sonicare toothbrush (wife's brush head, shhhhh) and some bar soap.
5. One coat of VSC.
6. One thin coat of saphir neutral wax polish.

20200530_155202.jpg
20200530_155207.jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have another intriguing pair of MTO Florsheim shell shoes waiting outside that I need to check out.

I also have a pair of Florsheim shark saddles that, if recollection serves, @friendlygoz told me about. I finally did some work on those today as well. I honestly am not sure if I am going to wear them. I can't decide if I like full shark uppers. I'll post a pic later once I am done working on them. Should they be wax polished or no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads