• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight digression, but you should post some delicious 1988 Shell MacNeil shoe pr0n.
If you insist...
0AB32CDC-63D3-4265-91B0-388E56023C56.jpeg
05305F93-D257-4DCB-B7D2-CD318F258773.jpeg
F1618503-E0BD-4A20-B177-BD1054E4F9B0.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find! My pair of Florsheim Limited suede boots are soft and floppy, but comfortable.

Overall construction is a bit sloppy and they can't hold a candle to the vintage shoes in terms of quality, but I paid $40 for mine (used) so can't really complain too much... except to say that Florsheim is a sorry shadow of what they used to be.

20200312-02-jpg.1353865

Mine are made in China.

Yeah, zooming in on those, the upper stitching is a bit wonky in places; looks rushed. How much were those when they were new?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, zooming in on those, the upper stitching is a bit wonky in places; looks rushed. How much were those when they were new?

I can't find definitive info on their pricing when they were new, but my guess is that they went for around the $200 price point and were on sale around 2010.

I doubt they would hold up to regular use, but I'm keeping them for when I feel like wearing something a bit different.

hamercha

Reaction score
Sending out the vcleat signal to @davidVC : any idea how these 93605s might have come from two different pairs? I discovered it after I purchased them. The seller was surprised when I told him. Check out the different date and pair codes. Weird. View attachment 1397704 View attachment 1397705
That is how he must have bought from the store. When I used to sell shoe, I let customer pick and choose different shoe from different box. Afterall they are same shoe. Happens all the time.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is how he must have bought from the store. When I used to sell shoe, I let customer pick and choose different shoe from different box. Afterall they are same shoe. Happens all the time.
Great knowledge. Thanks.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My office had a large empty doorway that allowed in far too much noise. French doors with adjacent panels for glass looked like a great solution. The glass and touch up paint late next week. I thought the guys did a really nice job accomplishing what I wanted. Yes, I wear shoes into that office, so it is kind of on topic.

IMG_8732 2.jpg

IMG_8735.jpg

KotaB

Reaction score
I see that Duckie Browns Florsheims are of acceptable quality. Still made in India and all that. What makes them better than run of the mill Indian Florsheims?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lack of expertise is widespread. I was with some family at a steak house in Texas and my brother in law asked the waitress what wines they offered. She happily said, “Oh, we carry all three kinds of wine: Red, white and paink.” (Paink, not pink.)

A number of years ago, I’m at a supposedly “upscale” restaurant in Atlanta (Buckhead), after closing a business deal, and the waitress serving us can only be described as both attractive and cute.

(The waitress.)
SNZR6SNQMY6SYKS75OEKTIMTY4.jpg

However, she was also, well... let’s just say she wasn’t the swiftest jet on the runway, the sharpest pencil in the box, etc. In fact, she was as thick as a plank of wood; she managed, somehow, to get our entire order, entirely wrong.

(Wut?!)
customer-restaurant-complaining-to-waitress-food-unhappy-95983615.jpg

I don’t mean she got sides wrong, or something wasn’t cooked as ordered, I mean she managed to get everything incorrect. I ordered a ribeye with potatoes au gratin, I got filet mignon with a baked potato; one of my guests ordered salmon and got halibut. The only thing that was sort of correct was that if you ordered beef, the thing she brought to the table was some variation of beef. With about a dozen people at the table, I’d have thought pure chance would have meant at least one order was right. Nope, everything was wrong. It was quite something.

(Low blood sugar rage.)
giphy.gif

Obviously, I was pretty irritated by this display of gross incompetence. Being both an engineer and a manager, I needed a root cause analysis as to what had gone so terribly wrong. So I pulled the manager aside, who looked like he was 19 and could have been an Abercrombie model.

(The manager.)
clqqhi5z1wvkrbpzie6e.png

It took about 5 yoctoseconds to understand that this manager wasn’t hired for his managerial talent, and that everyone else, including the clearing staff, were all suspiciously hip and good looking. There wasn’t one iota of expertise in this restaurant (beyond the owners ability to pick out young attractive staff).

The “manager” profusely apologized, and I decided not to come down too hard on him, or the waitress, because it was clear that is was the owner who’d ultimately set these people up to fail. Nobody was trained, it was apparent that other parties were waiting for food and, from where I was standing, I could hear unhappy shouting noises from the kitchen.

Not willing to risk the rest of the afternoon on them getting it wrong a second time (as service can only have been described as lackadaisical), we went to a bistro down the street.

(F it.)
giphy.gif

I gave them a one-star scathing review on Yelp, and I’m pretty sure that restaurant is long gone. Expertise and quality matter; it can’t be all superficial aesthetics.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago, I’m at a supposedly “upscale” restaurant in Atlanta (Buckhead), after closing a business deal, and the waitress serving us can only be described as both attractive and cute.

(The waitress.)
SNZR6SNQMY6SYKS75OEKTIMTY4.jpg

However, she was also, well... let’s just say she wasn’t the swiftest jet on the runway, the sharpest pencil in the box, etc. In fact, she was as thick as a plank of wood; she managed, somehow, to get our entire order, entirely wrong.

(Wut?!)
customer-restaurant-complaining-to-waitress-food-unhappy-95983615.jpg

I don’t mean she got sides wrong, or something wasn’t cooked as ordered, I mean she managed to get everything incorrect. I ordered a ribeye with potatoes au gratin, I got filet mignon with a baked potato; one of my guests ordered salmon and got halibut. The only thing that was sort of correct was that if you ordered beef, the thing she brought to the table was some variation of beef. With about a dozen people at the table, I’d have thought pure chance would have meant at least one order was right. Nope, everything was wrong. It was quite something.

(Low blood sugar rage.)
giphy.gif

Obviously, I was pretty irritated by this display of gross incompetence. Being both an engineer and a manager, I needed a root cause analysis as to what had gone so terribly wrong. So I pulled the manager aside, who looked like he was 19 and could have been an Abercrombie model.

(The manager.)
clqqhi5z1wvkrbpzie6e.png

It took about 5 yoctoseconds to understand that this manager wasn’t hired for his managerial talent, and that everyone else, including the clearing staff, were all suspiciously hip and good looking. There wasn’t one iota of expertise in this restaurant (beyond the owners ability to pick out young attractive staff).

The “manager” profusely apologized, and I decided not to come down too hard on him, or the waitress, because it was clear that is was the owner who’d ultimately set these people up to fail. Nobody was trained, it was apparent that other parties were waiting for food and, from where I was standing, I could hear unhappy shouting noises from the kitchen.

Not willing to risk the rest of the afternoon on them getting it wrong a second time (as service can only have been described as lackadaisical), we went to a bistro down the street.

(F it.)
giphy.gif

I gave them a one-star scathing review on Yelp, and I’m pretty sure that restaurant is long gone. Expertise and quality matter; it can’t be all superficial aesthetics.

I hope the day never comes when one of your posts ceases to entertain me. I also have learned a new word - yoctosecond.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that Duckie Browns Florsheims are of acceptable quality. Still made in India and all that. What makes them better than run of the mill Indian Florsheims?

I have limited knowledge and have never handled a pair. But I love seeing my words on the internet, given that I can't hear my voice in court.

Duckie Brown was a limited edition collaboration between Florsheim and a California designer. Both companies decided this would be a premium product. They used Horween leather. Employed GYW process, and from what I have seen in pictures only, seemed to give a damn about QC.

The current Florsheims use subpar materials, cut corners on assembly and manufacturing process, and overall just slap glue on stuff. It's horrendous and disgraceful.

The anniversary series also seems decent from pictures. My "Limited" boots that I recently acquired is another demonstration that Florsheim still has a faint memory of their past. Granted, my pair shows many deficiencies and sloppy work. But still better than the regular line of products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads