• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hang on, I’m confused. He listed them for 30,000 bucks? Or he bid them up that far? Someone did or didn’t win the auction? Did he win his own auction? I’m so confused.

I think @mormonopoly was outbid. The seller that is the subject of our motivational analysis won the auction and relisted them for a slight markup, ie. 30k.

By the way, I use the exact same approach that you do with respect to plain boxes arriving. I'm good with it most of the time except when some schmo decides to use a USPS shoe ship box in which cases my dear wife announces the arrival of stacks of shoes at the front door (even if there is just one box --- I have on surprisingly frequent occasions received two packages on the same day even though I very rarely buy shoes --- eh that last part is a lie, who am I kidding).

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @mormonopoly was outbid. The seller that is the subject of our motivational analysis won the auction and relisted them for a slight markup, ie. 30k.

By the way, I use the exact same approach that you do with respect to plain boxes arriving. I'm good with it most of the time except when some schmo decides to use a USPS shoe ship box in which cases my dear wife announces the arrival of stacks of shoes at the front door (even if there is just one box --- I have on surprisingly frequent occasions received two packages on the same day even though I very rarely buy shoes --- eh that last part is a lie, who am I kidding).
That’s right. It really made the $300 they originally sold for seem not so bad.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are going to get this down to a science at some point. This is excellent advice.
It’s a good thing I played it cool. The box had those AE Strawfut’s I snapped up, for an excellent price, complete with Woodlore (Jos.A.Bank branded) trees, that the seller threw in, and free shipping.

And they are way better than the photo’s indicated - they were worn just one time (probably for a wedding - they still smell new); they’re not seconds, they’re not damaged, and they’re very nicely executed.

The problem, this time, is she wouldn’t have believed the (very real) price I would have quoted her; they’re too nice. That would have led to a request to see recent eBay purchases for Quicken ledger resolution purposes, specifically around discretionary spending on my part. This in turn would have resulted in the disclosure of... ummm... a “number” of recent shoe-related purchases. This conversation would have gone poorly.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s right. It really made the $300 they originally sold for seem not so bad.
HwhQS9u.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m for too narcissistic and egotistical for self-doubt. I just force everyone around me to adhere to the following rule:

QbOGUrn.jpg

"There is no 'I' in team."

Not sure if the rest of you got the extended narratives around Kobe Bryant when he died. Here is Los Angeles, it dominated the news cycles for the better part of two weeks.

Shaq told the story about being in a game and having a couple players complaining that Kobe wasn't passing the ball. He approached Kobe on a timeout and said, "There is no 'I' in team." To which Kobe responded, "But there is a ME in that motherfucker." So Shaq went back to the other players and said, "Just rebound the ball; he isn't passing ****."

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This strategy generally works for me, EXCEPT I almost always start off with a 50% low ball. You'd be surprised how often that actually works. Other times, the seller responds back with indignity, and then puts me on the blacklist so that I can no longer purchase from them.
That happens to me when I throw-out an offer on some beat-to-**** pair that’s absurdly over-priced. Usually it’s some damn Florsheim or AE pair that I have a special affinity for (saddles or a MacGregor or something), but anyone else (e.g. sane person) would be like “ewwww, yuck, no”.

So I’ll throw out a bid for what they’re actually worth, which is like 10 bucks or something. Without fail, I’ll get back a counter offer which is like a 5% discount. I’ll resubmit my first (and only) offer, and then I’ll get the messages: they usually range from “hey I was really looking for x dollars” or “you’re not being reasonable”, etc. My reply is usually something like: “you only have this one offer because I’m not playing with a full deck of cards and, for some degenerate reason, want your garbage shoes”.

Only once did the seller relent and sell me the shoes for what I wanted (because that was a quality seller); those shoes were my competition pair from 2018. Every other occasion, the seller ran off in a huff. However, I’d say half end up messaging me a month or two down the line, trying to get back some kind of offer (which I never give them).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of garbage, here’s a great example of a delusional seller:

9gFIwIp.jpg

Yup 155 OBO.
qX4gKYZ.jpg

Recrafted...
3xpDGmt.jpg

and based on the replacement heel lining and badly dried out and cracking insole, I’d say this wasn’t the first recraft/resole.

A not very desirable model, that’s closing in on worn out: 15 dollar shoes, at most. How much you wanna bet a 15 dollar offer will be met with indignant blatherings?

nikolau

Reaction score
Slightly off topic leather conditioner question.

I just bought a new truck this weekend. I am a car guy and used to be in the car business. BUT, I have never had a new vehicle. For 15 years I did not have a car payment because I bought cheap cars for cash then drove them for 6 months or year, sold them and bought another.

Thus, My question relates to a new purchase to try to address problems before they occur. My new truck has leather seats. It’s a 2019 so it has been around for a little bit, but it only had 9 miles. There is obviously no wear.

What is the best leather conditioner for leather seats in a new truck? I don’t want shiny. I want smooth and soft without a shine. Essentially it is just about keeping it moisturized and conditioned without it being greasy since I am going to be sitting on it.

I’d use classic Lexol. Lexol seems fine even for most footwear, and it’s very, very cheap.

It’s a good thing I played it cool. The box had those AE Strawfut’s I snapped up, for an excellent price, complete with Woodlore (Jos.A.Bank branded) trees, that the seller threw in, and free shipping.

And they are way better than the photo’s indicated - they were worn just one time (probably for a wedding - they still smell new); they’re not seconds, they’re not damaged, and they’re very nicely executed.

The problem, this time, is she wouldn’t have believed the (very real) price I would have quoted her; they’re too nice. That would have led to a request to see recent eBay purchases for Quicken ledger resolution purposes, specifically around discretionary spending on my part. This in turn would have resulted in the disclosure of... ummm... a “number” of recent shoe-related purchases. This conversation would have gone poorly.

Are those the ones with the ostrich saddle?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
They are still for sale. Maybe you should offer $300.

View attachment 1395937

Well. Unlike all of you negative nancies, I'm going to look at the bright side. At least the buyer would get some serious eBay bucks! But in all seriousness, I'd definitely try to get him to throw in free priority shipping.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well. Unlike all of you negative nancies, I'm going to look at the bright side. At least the buyer would get some serious eBay bucks! But in all seriousness, I'd definitely try to get him to throw in free priority shipping.
I was thinking the same thing. Free shipping should be standard on items $25K+. I would throw in a bottle of Bick4 and extra laces as well.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Free shipping should be standard on items $25K+. I would throw in a bottle of Bick4 and extra laces as well.

I wonder if Ebay allows either negative offers or fractional penny offers (ie. to meet in the middle after some counters). Hey, negative interest rates are a thing. Maybe Ebay allows this and it just never occurred to me try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics