• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad he doesn’t have a “best offer” option so some of us can make spite offers.
There is another possibility we haven’t considered: this might be how the guy justifies, to his spouse, his huge and (probably) ever growing shoe collection. It’s basically all just sham; shoe laundering if you will. But it’s not the IRS or US Customs he’s trying to scam, it’s his wife.

“Yes dear, I’ve got this pair listed for a thousand dollars; they’ll sell any day now.”

I’d bet real money that’s what’s going on.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is another possibility we haven’t considered: this might be how the guy justifies, to his spouse, his huge and (probably) ever growing shoe collection. It’s basically all just sham; shoe laundering if you will. But it’s not the IRS or US Customs he’s trying to scam, it’s his wife.

“Yes dear, I’ve got this pair listed for a thousand dollars; they’ll sell any day now.”

Why have I never thought of that!? Thanks

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I think you've got it right and I am not taking the other side of the bet. Who's going to ping the guy for confirmation?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had to use a version of that today. Here's how it went... [box shows up at the door; my sweet wife eye rolls] Me: "I'm selling off a pair and replacing them with the shoes in the box. Two other pairs are coming Friday, and I'm selling some shoes to make room for those." Her:... [silence... judgement-laden silence].

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've got it right and I am not taking the other side of the bet. Who's going to ping the guy for confirmation?
If we’re right on this, then he must come here to this thread, because he’s clearly one of us.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We all have to do this now. Absolutely brilliant.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Just to completely saturate the thread with AE Polo/Shelton info, I put together this rundown for someone a while back, who was looking for non Polished Cobbler versions of the Polo/Shelton. I figure it’s 1:30am EDT, might as well dump it here:

The 8221 was only made (labeled as the Shelton) for about 3-4 years from ~2011-2014. Before that, the burgundy/black Shelton was Polished Cobbler with a model number of 8271. The various Shelton models (including the 8271) were called Polo prior to 1999 (so, an 8271 Polo from 1998 is the same shoe as an 8271 Shelton from 1999 onwards). The Polo, prior to 1991, was not on the 511 (1) last, but the 674 (4) last, thus the Polished Cobbler burgundy and black Polo model in 1990 was 8274.

For the most part, the vast majority of Shelton and Polo models and production, prior to 2010, are Polished Cobbler. Besides the 8221, here is a short (probably incomplete) list of Polo/Shelton models not made using Polished Cobbler:

Polo 8224 - Mulberry (burgundy) and black calf (this is 4 last version of the 8221) - rare, only made from 1976 to 79, in 1980 they changed the Polo to Polished Cobbler as the 8274

Polo 8244 - Tan and mulberry calf - very rare, only made in 1976 and 77

Polo 8234 - Black sharkskin and black calf - very rare MTO

Polo 8244 (recycled model number) - Brown sharkskin and brown aniline calf - very rare MTO

Polo 8284 - Burgundy Shell Cordovan - rare MTO

Polo 8294 - Oak aniline calf (light brown) - rare

Polo/Shelton 8281 - Burgundy Shell Cordovan - very rare MTO

Shelton 8211 - Black sharkskin and black calf - allmost impossible to find MTO

Shelton 8241 - Chili calf and brown calf - Occasionally one pops up on eBay

Shelton 8261 - Chili sharkskin and chili calf - impossible to find MTO

Shelton 2811 - Walnut calf and brown calf (this was after 2011 when they changed their model numbering and started swapping digits around on models where they’d run out of model numbers) - Occasionally they pop up on eBay.

Keep in mind, Polo/Shelton was one of only a dozen various saddle oxford models AE made over the last 5 decades (it’s just the most prolific). That said, the most common Polo/Shelton models (95+%) are the 8274/8271 burgundy and black Polished Cobbler.

Mister, I don't see the Finch in your expose'. Are you aware of them?

1590529832977.png

1590529793815.png

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to use a version of that today. Here's how it went... [box shows up at the door; my sweet wife eye rolls] Me: "I'm selling off a pair and replacing them with the shoes in the box. Two other pairs are coming Friday, and I'm selling some shoes to make room for those." Her:... [silence... judgement-laden silence].
An oversized box arrived 10 minutes ago (really, not even slightly kidding). I know what’s in the box. However, the box has no eBay tape on it; it’s not shoebox shaped or sized. I think my wife believes it’s computer parts (I also restore vintage computers). She’s much more okay with my antique watch and vintage computer hobbies. Probably because they’re not nearly as out-of-control.

One critical bit of Jedi mind trickery, is to appear disinterested : “yeah, I’ll bring the box in later, it’s not going to rain or anything, so it can sit for a bit”. You go for that box of shoe treasure too early, and they’ll know exactly what’s up.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An oversized box arrived 10 minutes ago (really, not even slightly kidding). I know what’s in the box. However, the box has no eBay tape on it; it’s not shoebox shaped or sized. I think my wife believes it’s computer parts (I also restore vintage computers). She’s much more okay with my antique watch and vintage computer hobbies. Probably because they’re not nearly as out-of-control.

One critical bit of Jedi mind trickery, is to appear disinterested : “yeah, I’ll bring the box in later, it’s not going to rain or anything, so it can sit for a bit”. You go for that box of shoe treasure too early, and they’ll know exactly what’s up.

We are going to get this down to a science at some point. This is excellent advice.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mister, I don't see the Finch in your expose'. Are you aware of them?

View attachment 1395807

View attachment 1395806
So there’ve been a number of nifty AE saddles over the years. The reason the Polo/Shelton were grouped together is they share a common lineage and style/model numbers. The finch is neat, and is built on the 511 (like 91+ Polo/Shelton’s), but it is it’s own shoe with a different saddle pattern.

That said, if I find a pair in my size, in good shape, you can bet I’ll add them to my hoard.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re categorizing my mind as great, your clients are in terrible trouble.

Most of my clients were in trouble long before I was in the picture. That said, I have a serious imposter syndrome. I don't know if I am actually doing good work at times.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my clients were in trouble long before I was in the picture. That said, I have a serious imposter syndrome. I don't know if I am actually doing good work at times.
I’m for too narcissistic and egotistical for self-doubt. I just force everyone around me to adhere to the following rule:

QbOGUrn.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads