• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have at least two of the vintage shoe heavy hitters in the room, Messrs. @davidVC and @smfdoc, may I please nominate these handsome Church's Darwin shell cordovan penny loafers to be awarded a place on the Shellcordovanmodels list? Please note this is different from the Darwin Award I've somehow managed to stay one step ahead of for way too many years. May it please the court:
6DD324E1-6C09-41B9-A168-6D465F710089.jpeg
FA400BEC-1E63-4403-978C-47568478BD78.jpeg
DFF3C81B-A5E0-4564-8FFE-B61D8C1AB71A.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On @davidVC's watch list. What vintage are these?

View attachment 1394865

I’m gonna say late 40’s to early 50’s. Those appear to be very, very well made (blind channel bottom outsole stitch, leather insole, high quality cotton drill). They need just a little cleaning (they appear to be a napped leather, of some sort, on the white portions) and they’ll need some careful hydration. They‘ve been worn maybe 3 or 4 times in their entire existence, which is pretty amazing given how awesome they are.

If they were my size, I’d be hell-bent on winning that auction.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have at least two of the vintage shoe heavy hitters in the room, Messrs. @davidVC and @smfdoc, may I please nominate these handsome Church's Darwin shell cordovan penny loafers to be awarded a place on the Shellcordovanmodels list? Please note this is different from the Darwin Award I've somehow managed to stay one step ahead of for way too many years. May it please the court:
View attachment 1394946 View attachment 1394947 View attachment 1394948
Those are @davidVC shoe-museum grade.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience w/ vintage turtle? is it durable? these look pretty dry, and I wouldn't want to grab them if they are beyond rehab...
May run afoul of the regs on interstate trade in endangered species, since the seller is in New Mexico. I still have the sea turtle shoes I thrifted a while back that were made in Mexico and donated in NOS condition. They're illegal to sell in California AFAIK and I feel bad for the animal they came from, which was no doubt taken from the wild. US Fish and Wildlife Service

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience w/ vintage turtle? is it durable? these look pretty dry, and I wouldn't want to grab them if they are beyond rehab...
I’d be as concerned as you are. Activating the @davidVC bat signal, because I have no idea how or what you’d use on those.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found it useful to use the search function on vcleat. I have entered a style number and it will pop up any mention of it in any of the pieces that the Pulitzer people have so wrongly ignored.
I think the Pulitzer people have blacklisted me. Might be related to the blood doping controversy a few years back. I will emphasize that these were just allegations. I was never convicted.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d be as concerned as you are. Activating the @davidVC bat signal, because I have no idea how or what you’d use on those.

I don't know. I would be surprised if there are any vintage turtle leather experts out there. I would probably use Bick4. Maybe Neatsfoot oil. Bick has an exotic conditioner but I have used it and it doesn't seem much different that other conditioners.

I just added them to my watchlist because they were so unusual. They don't seem wearable. They might have been made as golf shoes and then resoled.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I would be surprised if there are any vintage turtle leather experts out there. I would probably use Bick4. Maybe Neatsfoot oil. Bick has an exotic conditioner but I have used it and it doesn't seem much different that other conditioners.

I just added them to my watchlist because they were so unusual. They don't seem wearable. They might have been made as golf shoes and then resoled.
Thanks for this input. Between concerns about the legality and ethics of this potential purchase, and that “they don’t seem wearable,” It would seem wise to pass. They are cool though.

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 D guys. Not my listing.

View attachment 1395106
Interesting shoe; 70s’ish last, leather has some form of heavy finish, but grain is still visible. 360 welt, so I’m going to guess that this “Flexole” was Florsheim’s version of AE nailless style construction, probably with a very flexible or omitted shank.

Lack of “Flexible Fiber Insole” stamp, makes me think it’s full leather construction, linings look high quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads