• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DapperAndy

Reaction score
Who knows anything about John Jarrell, Inc. Atlanta Georgia shoes? The only info I find is from patent registries from 1938, 1950's, and ending in 1960's. There's also a plantation website, that talks about John Jarrell being a cobbler. There is one entry on the Ask Andy Forums about "John Jarrell, Inc." in NYC at one point. But that's all I can find.

I picked these shell PTBs up off a friend on Facebook, and shined them up, because I needed more Cordovan Shell to shine. Now I'm curious about their history. IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4916.JPG IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4922.JPG IMG_4973.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who knows anything about John Jarrell, Inc. Atlanta Georgia shoes? The only info I find is from patent registries from 1938, 1950's, and ending in 1960's. There's also a plantation website, that talks about John Jarrell being a cobbler. There is one entry on the Ask Andy Forums about "John Jarrell, Inc." in NYC at one point. But that's all I can find.

I picked these shell PTBs up off a friend on Facebook, and shined them up, because I needed more Cordovan Shell to shine. Now I'm curious about their history. View attachment 1368987 View attachment 1368988 View attachment 1368989 View attachment 1368990 View attachment 1368992

The shine, pants, laces, and socks, really brings out the shoes! Any videos of how you shine with your products?

DapperAndy

Reaction score
The shine, pants, laces, and socks, really brings out the shoes! Any videos of how you shine with your products?
Thanks buddy. Here’s a link to our YouTube channel, ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnoH5A_FjUV30uJTs2kSZg ) but I must admit, my video “game” is a 2/10. The most in-depth one is my Masterclass video from a few weeks ago. Some of the others show specific techniques, too.

I’ll be filming more videos in the coming weeks, as I have a new setup, and everyone seems to prefer video. So, let me know if you want to see something in particular.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@suitforcourt could these be the sharkskin you’re looking for?

Well. I bought them. Seller accepted a $60 offer. I'd arrived at the conclusion some tine ago that brown shark was a little too much for me between the texture and color variation. This will be my 1st pair of exotics. I have to be honest, i didnt really expect the offer to be accepted. Hopefully i can actually figure out how to wear these. I guess they are casual? Other than my captoe funeral shoes, i believe this will be my only pair of black shoes.

edit: how did I forget a thanks! Thanks for the tip @friendlygoz!!

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. Here’s a link to our YouTube channel, ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnoH5A_FjUV30uJTs2kSZg ) but I must admit, my video “game” is a 2/10. The most in-depth one is my Masterclass video from a few weeks ago. Some of the others show specific techniques, too.

I’ll be filming more videos in the coming weeks, as I have a new setup, and everyone seems to prefer video. So, let me know if you want to see something in particular.

Maybe videos on different materials. One on calf. One on shell cordovan. One on a leather like CXL or tougher boot leather.

right_hook

Reaction score
I finished those Alden shell saddles. Here is the before.

Sure, they're not perfect, but for my $55 introduction to shell, I'm happy.

I think they are really nice shoes with a lot of character. I'd suggest they could be even better with the thorough brudhing and cleaning in the future

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well. I bought them. Seller accepted a $60 offer. I'd arrived at the conclusion some tine ago that brown shark was a little too much for me between the texture and color variation. This will be my 1st pair of exotics. I have to be honest, i didnt really expect the offer to be accepted. Hopefully i can actually figure out how to wear these. I guess they are casual? Other than my captoe funeral shoes, i believe this will be my only pair of black shoes.

You made my day. Please post pix when you get them. Glad they found a home with a shoe brother.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made John McHales in iconic cherry. Triple leather soled tanks are heavy. Rubber heels, sole protectors, and toe taps make these more wearable than the original leather heels that make v-cleats seem like ice climbing shoes.
20200410_160938.jpg
20200410_160946.jpg
20200410_160953.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats. That's a great deal, and I hope they fit you.

I have a pair of Footjoy black sharkskin saddles that I post from time to time. I think they are a bit on the casual side and go with jeans, but I still wear them with dressier slacks and suits as well.

Disclaimer: My sense of style can be questionable. Try at your own risk. ;)

20190813-01.jpg

20191016-01.jpg

IMG_6757a.jpg

20190823-01.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Congrats. That's a great deal, and I hope they fit you.

I have a pair of Footjoy black sharkskin saddles that I post from time to time. I think they are a bit on the casual side and go with jeans, but I still wear them with dressier slacks and suits as well.

Disclaimer: My sense of style can be questionable. Try at your own risk. ;)

View attachment 1369097

View attachment 1369098

View attachment 1369101

View attachment 1369102

As always, thank you very much my good man. Incidentally, i did a quick search for black shark saddles and discovered pics you posted from an earlier occasion, which is what pushed me over the edge.

Incidentally, on my 1st day of covid remote work, i received a pair of shell saddles as an experiment to see if i'd wear them. Now i will have 2 pairs and ive yet to wear the first pair. Agh, hopefully things improve soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads