• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not for the shell, but the calf shoes were that price, you betcha. Part of The Haul.
IMG_3698.jpeg

What a day that was. 13 pairs for $9 PPU.
IMG_4120.jpeg

Shell were $200 but NOS so I don't mind.
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 6.02.37 PM.png

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in the name of all that is good are you finding vintage shoes at $9 PPU?

He is a master thrifter. He forages through bins of shoes.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found that lot at a St. Vincent de Paul; you may know him as the patron saint of vintage footwear. This store runs a soup kitchen in the back that serves the poor, and has a bathroom. It's been a productive store for me.

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grrr. Even with a 3000 grit wet sanding pad lubed with VSC (or Bick 4), I can't get these 994s to polish out. Should I try some neutral or cordovan colored cream polish? Ice brushed until my arm went numb, too.

View attachment 1367791
The left shoe looks improved. Did you try @smfdoc’s suggestion of a stiffer bristle brush yet?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grrr. Even with a 3000 grit wet sanding pad lubed with VSC (or Bick 4), I can't get these 994s to polish out. Should I try some neutral or cordovan colored cream polish? Ice brushed until my arm went numb, too.

View attachment 1367791
They actually look pretty good, considering. Cordovan Cream would probably help even out the color. You may also want to try a thin coat of high-shine paste (Saphir makes a good one, as does Pure Polish) on top.

right_hook

Reaction score

View attachment 1367791

I had similar trouble with my thrifted 6845s.
I've read some manuals on SF on how to clean shell shoes. Yeah, all those things like "brush untill your arm fell off and then 20 minutes more" :)
While I think it's the best you can do with your shell cordovan footwear, there are non stantdard situations.
I think it's common issue with thrifted shoes - you'd never know what previous owner did to them. In this, sometimes you should take more aggressive approach and somewhat "step over the line".
It looks like your shoes have been overpolished. So when you try to clean/sand them you see all that dull mix of old gunk and polish (with silicones and other non natural substances maybe). Dealing with such issue I tried to heat them with usual hairdryer and then "rib" with a thick cloth. It worked but sooo slowly. I'm not that patient so brought some chemicals and used white spirit. It helped me to clean (unearth) the surface of the shoes and bring the shine back.
I think that white spirit is an effective and at the same time is a very mild chemical solution to clean your shoes.
@CWOyaji recommended to sand them, but he can tell you how he did renomat bath to his shell shoes as well

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1367791

At this point, just enjoy them. They are vintage and used. Lots of history and beauty to these.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The left shoe looks improved. Did you try @smfdoc’s suggestion of a stiffer bristle brush yet?

I did. I used one after the sanding, sort of a buffing before using my soft brush. I didn't sand the left shoe, btw.

They actually look pretty good, considering. Cordovan Cream would probably help even out the color. You may also want to try a thin coat of high-shine paste (Saphir makes a good one, as does Pure Polish) on top.

My main concern is filling in the rough area in the leather. Would a cream or a paste help with that?

I've read some manuals on SF on how to clean shell shoes. Yeah, all those things like "brush untill your arm fell off and then 20 minutes more" :)
While I think it's the best you can do with your shell cordovan footwear, there are non stantdard situations.
I think it's common issue with thrifted shoes - you'd never know what previous owner did to them. In this, sometimes you should take more aggressive approach and somewhat "step over the line".
It looks like your shoes have been overpolished. So when you try to clean/sand them you see all that dull mix of old gunk and polish (with silicones and other non natural substances maybe). Dealing with such issue I tried to heat them with usual hairdryer and then "rib" with a thick cloth. It worked but sooo slowly. I'm not that patient so brought some chemicals and used white spirit. It helped me to clean (unearth) the surface of the shoes and bring the shine back.
I think that white spirit is an effective and at the same time is a very mild chemical solution to clean your shoes.
@CWOyaji recommended to sand them, but he can tell you how he did renomat bath to his shell shoes as well

They didn't SEEM over polished when I started; if anything, they seemed under conditioned. I brush and brush, trying to get the bloom to come to the surface, but so far that has been unsuccessful. In fact, I loaded them with Bick 4 last night. Maybe that helped.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It's true. Strong stuff though, so make sure you're outdoors if you use them. I like to start off using mild treatments but the orange peel buildup on those 994s may need to be knocked off with a pig bristle brush, like the doctor said.
IMG_6746.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg

IMG_6204.jpeg
IMG_5904.jpeg
IMG_5912.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1367791
My JM shell saddles are like that. I tried everything. Collonil neutral helps some, the only a little. I agree with @suitforcourt - wear and enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads