• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but has anyone actually tried to directly convince the Florsheim family to at least do a limited run of USA made shell Kenmoor?

I doubt they have any domestic manufacturing anymore, so perhaps a Florsheim X Alden collab?

I mean the family blew $45M to buy the brand back. I know they have pride in the family business. Every iconic brand needs a "statement line". Why not bring back a run REAL Kenmoor, V cleats and all?

I don't know that anyone has made direct contact. There has been discussion and an open letter on this thread, but sending a letter to Florsheim would be the next step.

A GMTO run might work. I've seen makers do those for as few as 6 people.

Sorry to be a downer, but the problem would likely be the price. If they could do a limited run of miUSA Horween shell Kenmoors, what would the price be? Say it was $1,200 per shoe, and the quality is slightly inferior to what we might find from a shoe in good condition on eBay for $200 or less...

If they offshore it (India or China) and maybe use shell from another manufacturer and do a direct sale, they might be able to do it for $500? (wild guess)

I wonder at what price point, and for what quality would people here be willing to pay for a newly minted shell Kenmoor?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know that anyone has made direct contact. There has been discussion and an open letter on this thread, but sending a letter to Florsheim would be the next step.

A GMTO run might work. I've seen makers do those for as few as 6 people.

Sorry to be a downer, but the problem would likely be the price. If they could do a limited run of miUSA Horween shell Kenmoors, what would the price be? Say it was $1,200 per shoe, and the quality is slightly inferior to what we might find from a shoe in good condition on eBay for $200 or less...

If they offshore it (India or China) and maybe use shell from another manufacturer and do a direct sale, they might be able to do it for $500? (wild guess)

I wonder at what price point, and for what quality would people here be willing to pay for a newly minted shell Kenmoor?

If at the quality of the Duckie Brown line, I would pay 6-700 a pair.

Maybe as a group, we should draft an official letter to Florsheim.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If at the quality of the Duckie Brown line, I would pay 6-700 a pair.

Maybe as a group, we should draft an official letter to Florsheim.

If we could get a few people to commit, perhaps Florsheim would consider a small GMTO run. Going on what I see from other GTMO offers, probably the model, leather, perhaps even the color and sizing (size is a challenge with our small group being all over the map) might all need to be determined in advance for them to consider it seriously.

Of course, this is all sort of moot for me since I don't think I could bring myself to pay that kind of money just to have the Florsheim name on it. $6-700 a pair opens up a LOT of other options.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we could get a few people to commit, perhaps Florsheim would consider a small GMTO run. Going on what I see from other GTMO offers, probably the model, leather, perhaps even the color and sizing (size is a challenge with our small group being all over the map) might all need to be determined in advance for them to consider it seriously.

Of course, this is all sort of moot for me since I don't think I could bring myself to pay that kind of money just to have the Florsheim name on it. $6-700 a pair opens up a LOT of other options.

Your lack of faith and dedication is extremely disturbing. Perhaps I should reconsider my will where I have named you to take over the revival challenge.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation, but one of my favorite finds on eBay. Nick’s Handmade Boots from Spokane, Wash. Imagine my surprise to find a pair in 13A. Nicks is one of the companies that makes the boots smokejumpers use to fight fires. These are the bomb.

I beat the hell out of these working on the yard. Today I saddle soaped them and hit them with some lexol neatsfoot oil.

9E066F22-D306-4605-81EF-24F9A331AE4F.jpeg

FD8364A1-6B06-4D93-BF52-C462BA432AF2.jpeg

B7B7C859-B567-4AC0-AD8A-FDFF8DAA9FF7.jpeg

E2946C40-A2F4-45DD-9885-828193E50A79.jpeg

ED0DE916-CF7B-46B7-94E1-4DDE4DE95A8B.jpeg

74C67894-C02D-42B2-9B69-67754C92448B.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation, but one of my favorite finds on eBay. Nick’s Handmade Boots from Spokane, Wash. Imagine my surprise to find a pair in 13A. Nicks is one of the companies that makes the boots smokejumpers use to fight fires. These are the bomb.

I beat the hell out of these working on the yard. Today I saddle soaped them and hit them with some lexol neatsfoot oil.

View attachment 1366622
View attachment 1366623
View attachment 1366624
View attachment 1366625
View attachment 1366626
View attachment 1366627

Are they heavy? Say relative to Red Wing?

I have been reading about this brand. Would love to have a pair!

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1366622
View attachment 1366623
View attachment 1366624
View attachment 1366625
View attachment 1366626
View attachment 1366627

Sweet boots, man. Any idea how old they are?

They look heavier than **** to me. My FIL wears a pair of Whites that weigh in at 8 pounds each.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi guys:
I think the guys most likely to do a limited edition GMTO would be John Doe shoes.
kilowatts

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the number would be $1200 for usa made shell with the correct soles and V cleats. Florsheim can tout them as "Lobb Killers". And they better be for that kinda money.

Or less money but simpler heels (no 69 nails and V cleats). But part of the magic is the heels.

And alternate, but much less desirable outcome are Indian made ones for $500...but they better be equal in quality to their vintage counterparts.

I think it's viable in the same vein as Dr. Martens MIE line. It's there for brand street cred.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus the family takes pride in its GEN Y design team. They could also do a full out assault new design in the vein of Gaziano and Girling. Give those kids a blank check and tell them to make grandpapy Milton proud. Lol!

I'm thinking the number would be $1200 for usa made shell with the correct soles and V cleats. Florsheim can tout them as "Lobb Killers". And they better be for that kinda money.

Or less money but simpler heels (no 69 nails and V cleats). But part of the magic is the heels.

And alternate, but much less desirable outcome are Indian made ones for $500...but they better be equal in quality to their vintage counterparts.

I think it's viable in the same vein as Dr. Martens MIE line. It's there for brand street cred.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. Heaviest boots I’ve ever owned. They have an arched Vibram sole that you can’t feel a shovel through. You can dig up the entire backyard and your back will give out before your feet.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet boots, man. Any idea how old they are?

They look heavier than **** to me. My FIL wears a pair of Whites that weigh in at 8 pounds each.

White’s and Nick’s are comparable. I believe both companies make a wild land firefighter version with fire-resistant stitching and adhesives. As I understand it, you’re either a White’s guy or a Nick’s guy.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1366622
View attachment 1366623
View attachment 1366624
View attachment 1366625
View attachment 1366626
View attachment 1366627

Nick's are the real deal.

Not sure about a SoCal swimming pool backdrop for them. Maybe there is a nearby utility poll.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few projects that I picked up recently. Left to right: Worthmore saddles, Mezlan split toes, and pre-war US Army boots. The boots are in decent shape, other than the fact that someone tried to shave down the heels. Kids, huh?

20200405_205503.jpg

20200405_212124.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads