• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nealjpage paper towels can be kind of coarse so i suggest going easy with that. The shoe surface texture looks like it's still rough, like fine orange peel. I'd use VSC applied with a 3500 grain sanding pad from the auto parts store (or Amazon these days) and a lot of rubbing to try to smooth that out, then let's see it again.
View attachment 1366270
Yeah, it's kinda rough. Do you think that a nylon Scotchbrite pad would work OK? I have one of those.

823544_o01_scour_pad_010320.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My find from "Footjoy Appreciation Day" last week came in. Loads of polish caked on (I was getting black streaks on my hands just handling them), so I cleaned them up with Renomat, then acetone when the Renomat proved insufficient, hit them with some conditioner, and topped it off with a light coat of black cream polish. Came out looking pretty sharp, if I do say so my self. Sadly, they're just a bit smaller than I was expecting, though still wearable.

View attachment 1365583

View attachment 1365584
Up until a few years before the demise of the handmade factory in Tennessee the handmades were all spades from memory. I had a pair (see below) from that time which had only a small spade extension. Not like the types that Sammy Davis (50 pairs!) and say President Reagan wore (second picture). I'll also post a pair of mine I wear which I suspect are from the 30s! (bottom pic)

Speaking of Footjoy and Spades:

I found these a few weeks ago. The thrift store is bad about pricing their shoes a little high. These were $25. They were right next to a pair of $25 Kenneth Coles. As you can imagine, I passed on the Coles.

But, I snagged these vintage Footjoy Spade

E52A893C-37A3-4E07-AD62-FB899F79E6F7.jpeg
1DB7665D-CCCB-40EB-BE74-22706C252E4F.jpeg
ABEEB32B-6502-4809-B8D1-25E7464231D3.jpeg
1212EAD6-23C0-4FE5-8143-E9EAABDCAC02.jpeg

10.5. They are a little tight in an odd way.
Maybe the shape of the last just fits me oddly.

Great picture of Ronald Reagan. not wanting to start a whole thing, I’m just a big fan of his.

nikolau

Reaction score
Up until a few years before the demise of the handmade factory in Tennessee the handmades were all spades from memory. I had a pair (see below) from that time which had only a small spade extension. Not like the types that Sammy Davis (50 pairs!) and say President Reagan wore (second picture). I'll also post a pair of mine I wear which I suspect are from the 30s! (bottom pic)

Those spade soles are fire ?. Didn’t even know J&M Handmade existed. Set an eBay alert for size 13- here’s to waiting for the next few years.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but has anyone actually tried to directly convince the Florsheim family to at least do a limited run of USA made shell Kenmoor?

I doubt they have any domestic manufacturing anymore, so perhaps a Florsheim X Alden collab?

I mean the family blew $45M to buy the brand back. I know they have pride in the family business. Every iconic brand needs a "statement line". Why not bring back a run REAL Kenmoor, V cleats and all?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but has anyone actually tried to directly convince the Florsheim family to at least do a limited run of USA made shell Kenmoor?

I doubt they have any domestic manufacturing anymore, so perhaps a Florsheim X Alden collab?

I mean the family blew $45M to buy the brand back. I know they have pride in the family business. Every iconic brand needs a "statement line". Why not bring back a run REAL Kenmoor, V cleats and all?

I’m all for that! Except for the Vcleat. Those are dangerous! They should do a limited run of ultra premium shoes.

J&M has a “semi” premium line even now. They are made in Italy. They have a premium price. I’m sure they are not made as well as the vintage shoes we are used to. But, the idea is good.

FeloniusMonk

Reaction score
Speaking of Footjoy and Spades:

I found these a few weeks ago. The thrift store is bad about pricing their shoes a little high. These were $25. They were right next to a pair of $25 Kenneth Coles. As you can imagine, I passed on the Coles.

But, I snagged these vintage Footjoy Spade

View attachment 1366401 View attachment 1366402 View attachment 1366403 View attachment 1366404

10.5. They are a little tight in an odd way.
Maybe the shape of the last just fits me oddly.

Great picture of Ronald Reagan. not wanting to start a whole thing, I’m just a big fan of his.
Very nice! Looks like the same model as the ones I found, but in much better condition.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Looks like the same model as the ones I found, but in much better condition.

I’m sure they are the same model. I was surprised how minty they are. I didn’t even polish them — just a damp cloth to remove the dust and a little brushing.

Somebody loved them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American made Nettleton tanks. Bought these before I acquired my US mailing address.

The shipping, taxes, and piratical fees slapped on by Pitney Bowes to process the taxes, were more expensive than the shoes themselves. I bought them from a gentleman who frequents this thread.
20200405_155850.jpg
20200405_155823.jpg
20200405_155830.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, a little help, please? Am I doing something wrong with the VSC? I'm not getting that deep, rich, glossy shine that the rest of you seem to get on your shells. I applied a thin coat of VSC with a paper towel and rubbed it into the leather, just like the directions say. I waited for it to dry and then hit it with my brush. The quarters got nice and shiny but the vamp is still pretty dull, even after working up a sweat with the brush. More VSC? Or do I need some neutral paste wax? The shoe on the right is still drying.

View attachment 1366258

View attachment 1366259

Opinions about shell care vary widely, so here is mine. I found VSC to be better at conditioning and a shine effect on calf. I will use it on shell for conditioning, but I have found that it leaves a haze on the shell that is difficult to remove. I would use a stiff brush (pig bristle) to remove all of the VSC possible and a panty hose for buffing. After it seems that the VSC is all gone, I would use Collonil 1909 in neutral to give the slightest covering and let dry. Then horse hair brushing and then panty hose buffing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics