• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted these Mansfields awhile back, I think they have some kind of shiny coating on them. I have no experience with coated leather shoes so was wondering how to care for them. Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.
View attachment 1364195
People seem to like Venetian Shoe Cream for corrected grain, but I've never tried it.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted these Mansfields awhile back, I think they have some kind of shiny coating on them. I have no experience with coated leather shoes so was wondering how to care for them. Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.
View attachment 1364195
Those look like Corfam uppers to me. They should be shiny.

If they are Corfam, you should be able to just wipe them down with a damp towel. Then give them a bit of wax for shine.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this image on BBC in an article on how Covid could change the world. This could elevate us vintage shoe wearers. #silverlining!

View attachment 1364106
That was a dance we called the “kid n’ play” when I was in junior high.
1585721782327.png

nikolau

Reaction score
View attachment 1364195

So...this is a little risqué, but if you have the stomach for it you can take a wee bit of acetone with a cotton swab to the bottom back of the heel and see what happens. Lots of things could happen... if it’s coated & corrected grain you’ll known immediately from the excessive damage on that tiny spot (can be covered up with polish/wax). If what’s on there is some kind of funk from years or decades of liberal shoe polish application sans any leather cleaner, well you’ve got a whole world of opportunity.

There are just so many ways of processing and treating leather that look alike, and considering I’ve literally never physically seen or owned Corfam, that’s how I would do it.

nikolau

Reaction score
So...this is a little risqué, but if you have the stomach for it you can take a wee bit of acetone with a cotton swab to the bottom back of the heel and see what happens. Lots of things could happen... if it’s coated & corrected grain you’ll known immediately from the excessive damage on that tiny spot (can be covered up with polish/wax). If what’s on there is some kind of funk from years or decades of liberal shoe polish application sans any leather cleaner, well you’ve got a whole world of opportunity.

There are just so many ways of processing and treating leather that look alike, and considering I’ve literally never physically seen or owned Corfam, that’s how I would do it.

Then again, I butchered the first pair of Aldens I ever thrifted in precisely this manner, and had to send them in for a paint job.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then again, I butchered the first pair of Aldens I ever thrifted in precisely this manner, and had to send them in for a paint job.
Elaborate. My maiden pair of Aldens is currently en route. I'd like to learn from the mistakes of othere, if I can. :cool:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my listing.
Since we've had some recent sharkskin shoes in the thread, thought I'd post this interesting pair that popped up on eBay.
Seller appears to be a Styleforum member. Despite the listing title, the seller says the shoes are marked as 11.5 A.

Only one photo on the listing, but they put more photos here:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made a face mask for outings.

IMG_8121.jpg

kilowatts

Reaction score
Not my listing.
Since we've had some recent sharkskin shoes in the thread, thought I'd post this interesting pair that popped up on eBay.
Seller appears to be a Styleforum member. Despite the listing title, the seller says the shoes are marked as 11.5 A.

Absolutely beautiful shoes. Not my size, sadly:confused:.

kilowatts

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Not my listing.

Those are fantastic! I'm a 10D, actually, but I am really reluctant to gamble on an 11.5A given my experience with Florsheim.

hamercha

Reaction score
Those look like Corfam uppers to me. They should be shiny.

If they are Corfam, you should be able to just wipe them down with a damp towel. Then give them a bit of wax for shine.
this may be some kind of synthetic material. Notice the sharp crease on the bend! I have seen very thin leather have sharp bend. But the top box area and some other area looks to be made up of thick material. So I am I inclined to call it synthetic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads