• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about their condition. From the photo, they still look nice, though.

Question: What's the "5-foot test"?

I assume the shoe equivalent of the 2 table test, for diamond rings.

So my one former girlfriend, wanted a ring that others could see the sparkle from 2 tables away. I ended up marrying someone else.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a cobbler install grommets to slow down the cracking in the eyelets. I do that for all my vintage shells now.

Don't most of these shoes have "half grommets"? (not sure what they're called)
There are metal rings reinforcing the underside of the eyelets on pretty much all of my shoes.

So are these removed, and you put in grommets that reinforce both the top and the bottom of the hole? And are you having a cobbler do this on all your shoes, or is it a DIY operation?

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lizard FootJoys are always an excellent choice. In addition to the '60s-era black pebbled LWBs, I have '70s-era lizard golf shoes. Haven't even had time to appreciate those -- and with all golf courses shut down for the foreseeable future, not sure when I'll take them for a test drive.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't most of these shoes have "half grommets"? (not sure what they're called)
There are metal rings reinforcing the underside of the eyelets on pretty much all of my shoes.

So are these removed, and you put in grommets that reinforce both the top and the bottom of the hole? And are you having a cobbler do this on all your shoes, or is it a DIY operation?

So my understanding is that grommets enclose the eyelet from both sides.

Some guys DIY. I am not handy, so I just have cobblers do it.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shark AE Shelton's

IMG_20200330_100420.jpg
IMG_20200330_113116.jpg

vestbash

Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to buy one of the eyelet setting machines and do it myself. The cost of a decent machine and the eyelets is still less than my cobbler charges for changing out 10 eyelets.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
So my one former girlfriend, wanted a ring that others could see the sparkle from 2 tables away. I ended up marrying someone else.

As a side note, that's actually game-able to a certain extent. Sparkle is a function really of just "cut" alone. Yes, size is obviously a factor as well but you can have a small diamond that is incredibly refractive. In my opinion, most people are not strategic when it comes to diamond buying and they end up with either a relatively larger but dull diamond or they may try to more equally weight the C's, which also isnt ideal. In my opinion, its really all about the cut.

I spent FAR too much time years ago trying to arb the diamond market. It would be a hell of a lot of fun if they were less expensive. Diamonds are pretty cool.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find them so heavy. Do you like how they feel?
They don’t feel heavy to me. I worked in the oil fields of West Texas one summer during college and wore Red Wings with steel toes. Those were heavy. These soles are the originals and they are kind of a marshmallow fluff texture. Maybe the commando soles you put on yours are denser and heavier.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have a Pavlov effect when someone talks about, or posts pics of shark skin shoes. I then spend days looking for shark skin for myself.

I have only found one pair in my size. But I don't like the style. So the hunt continues.
The struggle is real my friend. There are some odd looking pairs out there. Keep looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads