• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raimar

Reaction score
So, are these custom made Florsheims? maybe shell? 598273126144658Neld.jpg 743284126144658Neld.jpg 407302126144659Neld.jpg
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/89716008

These 93602s did not sell
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/89565181

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a tough couple of weeks, I decided to break out the good stuff tonight. Bourbon purists will deride Jefferson’s because they don’t have any age claims and no one really knows the quality of their stuff. But this bottling was aged in barrels from Bordeaux producer Pichon Baron. As a wine guy, I love the influence of the wine barrels. It’s a good sipping whiskey. I also have their bottling that was aged in barrels from Sauternes producer Chateau Suduiraut. Totally different; equally tasty

52265D36-A1A6-4C67-B9B7-56BBCA5F62DD.jpeg

As penance, here are vintage shoes I’m getting ready to list on the Bay because they don’t fit me well. Probably next week.

Stuart McGuire cap toe, size 12 B. Near NOS.

0C0A6B64-3F64-41A5-99E2-1FF61B77E1B1.jpeg

Stuart McGuire monkstraps, size 12 B. NOS
9A0D7D59-502E-40B8-86B1-0D8E719E3DDB.jpeg

Alan McAfee derbies, size 13 AA. Fit much smaller. These make me sad. I love these shoes, but alas, it doesn’t matter how many times I try them on, they are too small.
22C57214-DBBE-4B21-A870-2C20B40C7128.jpeg

Crosby Square split-toe, size 13 A. These, too, fit much smaller. A narrow 12 might work. Perhaps as small as an 11.5. These were NOS when I bought them. I wore them twice.
B214AAEA-BA27-4904-BFFD-290CCEFB999F.jpeg

nikolau

Reaction score
Does anyone on the thread have experience going up a size, and down a width?

For example, rather than purchasing a 10D, purchasing an 11C? I often see listings come up that are *just* outside my size, and I’m curious to hear what folks’ experience is with such things (if they are done at all).

FeloniusMonk

Reaction score

For example, rather than purchasing a 10D, purchasing an 11C? I often see listings come up that are *just* outside my size, and I’m curious to hear what folks’ experience is with such things (if they are done at all).
Are you talking the same model/last, or totally different shoes?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As a general rule of thumb, this will work. Depending on the style and last, some will go a half size. 10D then 10.5C. It all depends on the maker and last they use. But it is worth a try rather than lock into a firm number and only look for that.

happypebble

Reaction score

I wear a 13D, but have had luck with 12D, 12E and 14C. It really depends on the manufacturer. Company A's size 12D might fit totally differently from Company B's 12D.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the pair is true to size, I usually wear a 11.5 D. A 12 C is the same width but does seem a bit long. Inserts can help but there is a wide range of thicknesses. The Dr Scholls ones at the stores are fairly thin. A thicker one might make a 14 fit for you. Amazon has a big selection.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Brannock size is 8.5eee. Though I believe my weight loss has pushed me to 8.5ee.

I have shoes in the following sizes: 8.5ee (boots), 8.5eee, 9eee, 9e, 9ee, 9.5d and 9.5e.

Width wise, I find 8.5eee and 9e fit best. Length is optimum at 8.5.

9e and 9.5d seem to have similar widths to me.

If shoes are too long or wide, I either slip in half insole (top part only), or, wear no show socks, and then dress socks. The latter usually works best.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these 93605s (new to me) conditioned and ready for prime time when I noticed this. View attachment 1337064View attachment 1337079 View attachment 1337080
They are not that deep. But am I screwed? Should I have my cobbler put grommets on them? They are otherwise is amazing shape. This is heartbreaking. I can’t tell if this is means these are doomed or if they will hold as long as I keep them conditioned View attachment 1337066
That is some bad luck. Suggest reinforcing the back of the cracked area with a leather patch glued with barge cement and wearing the shoes laced wide, but it's hard to know if that will keep the crack small.

[EDIT] Just noticed that your post was from a while back. Hope it was repairable after all.

Last edited:

FeloniusMonk

Reaction score
My Brannock size is 8.5eee. Though I believe my weight loss has pushed me to 8.5ee.

I have shoes in the following sizes: 8.5ee (boots), 8.5eee, 9eee, 9e, 9ee, 9.5d and 9.5e.

Width wise, I find 8.5eee and 9e fit best. Length is optimum at 8.5.

9e and 9.5d seem to have similar widths to me.

If shoes are too long or wide, I either slip in half insole (top part only), or, wear no show socks, and then dress socks. The latter usually works best.
Brannock sizing doesn't seem to work for me at all - I've pretty much had to live by the guess-and-check sizing method my whole life. My Brannock size is a 10C (based on arch length; 9.5C on foot length), but the only pair of shoes that I own in a 10 is a pair of sneakers. Everything else ranges from 8.5 to 9.5 in a variety of widths from B to D - and I could probably go down to an 8 or even a 7.5 for some boots. My feet are weird...

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s installment of shoes I might have worn if I weren’t sheltering in place: Allen Edmonds Boulevard in aniline brown from 1984. Stay healthy and safe... View attachment 1361833 View attachment 1361834 View attachment 1361835
I love the Boulevard. IMO AE dropped the ball when they discontinued it and stuck with(to this day) with McAlister as their SWBal. The Boulevard is sleeker and more elegant with no brogueing on the collar but larger and more prominent perforations giving it a more English look. The leather on those 80’s Boulevards also didn’t have CG like the McA’s did. Only the recent versions of the AE Independence line have comparable quality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads