• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Good to know about the Vibram Dainite alternative. The Vibram lug sole is much softer than the itshide commando and seems to wear quite slowly considering.

I have both Dainite and Vibram Eton. I prefer the Eton. Less break in time, and more flexible.

This video captures it:

happypebble

Reaction score
Who is the other 13 D bro on here? Would buy but I have this style already. Wright Cordwainer $20 BIN
s-l1600.jpg

13D? Why, that would be moi. Thanks for the heads up; I just bought this pair. Cordwainer Wright is a fave of mine.

Last edited:

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people seeing in online auctions with respect to prices? Is it a good time to buy? Are closing prices lower due to people being more worried about basic necessities (not shoes!?)? Or are prices higher because there are more people out there buying online since they can't go out? No difference? What would you expect to be the actual case?
I assumed at first that online shopping would be an outlet for people under the circumstances.I was almost correct,iy seems that shopping has been replaced by browsing. My listings have gotten record views and watchers compared to a month ago but no one is taking the plunge. I was going to list some 93606’s but after looking at sold items, they’re going for alot less this month than last. I think folks are gathering acorns and waiting for what the future has in store. So yeah,good time to buy

vestbash

Reaction score
These look to be very similar to older stetsons. Stetson used the same genuine alligator stamp in the same location on the insole and had a very similar handwritten size/manufacturing #.

I took a flyer on this pair of Arnold Glove Grip alligator loafers this afternoon; $50 shipped. While it is a bit hard to fathom, I believe they date from the 1950's or earlier. Arnold Glove Grip shoes were advertised from the 1870's to 1960, and their factory was located in the heart of American shoe country at North Abington, Massachusetts, just south of Boston. This pair has hidden stitching and a lovely tucked waste with remarkable thick soles for loafers. Size 8 D/B.

View attachment 1361644 View attachment 1361645 View attachment 1361646 View attachment 1361647 View attachment 1361648 View attachment 1361649

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look to be very similar to older stetsons. Stetson used the same genuine alligator stamp in the same location on the insole and had a very similar handwritten size/manufacturing #.

I didn't have anything concrete to point to, but I also have always associated Arnold Glove Grip with Stetson for some reason.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I took a flyer on this pair of Arnold Glove Grip alligator loafers this afternoon; $50 shipped. While it is a bit hard to fathom, I believe they date from the 1950's or earlier. Arnold Glove Grip shoes were advertised from the 1870's to 1960, and their factory was located in the heart of American shoe country at North Abington, Massachusetts, just south of Boston. This pair has hidden stitching and a lovely tucked waste with remarkable thick soles for loafers. Size 8 D/B.

View attachment 1361644 View attachment 1361645 View attachment 1361646 View attachment 1361647 View attachment 1361648 View attachment 1361649
I bought the same pair in brown.

They are Stetson with Arnold Glove Grip version. They look exactly like other Stetson alligator loafers.

The seller offered to me $40 shipped but I wasnt sure of condition. Mine came extremely dry from like sitting in a garage for decades. I didn't dare try them on for fear of cracking. I will bath them in conditioner before trying on.

How old would you guess these.

Resipsaloquitor

Reaction score
The consistency of this stuff is a lot thinner than I expected.

View attachment 1361822

Oh, and check this out. There's some sort of plastic layer between the leather storm welt and the leather sole.

View attachment 1361823
I assumed others might chime in and apologize for ignoring the urge to reply as I just used the black Lincoln edging. Yes it was really not that thick. Bonus was however after using it on targeted pair I was able to touch up another with just the residue left on the sponge. I wondered after using black on a brown shoe edge if most use a brown Lincoln color? It turned out nice as the contrast pops like it does on your shoes. Need to possibly dedicate a used toothbrush or get a smaller brush to get in tight areas. Alas to be united with Imelda’s vintage and eThrifted collection back at the work crash pad. Teleworking in Uggs at the ranch isn't so bad; yet hear the faint noise of surfboards crying out for saltwater and shoes conspiring pedia civil unrest for needed repairs, edging and polishings back at the megaplex!

Last edited:

nikolau

Reaction score
I assumed at first that online shopping would be an outlet for people under the circumstances.I was almost correct,iy seems that shopping has been replaced by browsing. My listings have gotten record views and watchers compared to a month ago but no one is taking the plunge. I was going to list some 93606’s but after looking at sold items, they’re going for alot less this month than last. I think folks are gathering acorns and waiting for what the future has in store. So yeah,good time to buy

I would love a pair of used 93606’s in need of some TLC. If I wanted new I’d just get Aldens- I really don’t see much of a difference in the PTBs. When you have big feet the vintage shoe market, however, is woefully small.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assumed others might chime in and apologize for ignoring the urge to reply as I just used the black Lincoln edging. Yes it was really not that thick. Bonus was however after using it on targeted pair I was able to touch up another with just the residue left on the sponge. I wondered after using black on a brown shoe edge if most use a brown Lincoln color? It turned out nice as the contrast pops like it does on your shoes. Need to possibly dedicate a used toothbrush or get a smaller brush to get in tight areas. Alas to be united with Imelda’s vintage and eThrifted collection back at the work crash pad. Teleworking in Uggs at the ranch isn't so bad; yet hear the faint noise of surfboards crying out for saltwater and shoes conspiring pedia civil unrest for needed repairs, edging and polishings back at the megaplex!
Well, so far I'm not impressed. According to the description, it is supposed to dry hard and glossy. So far it has dried dull. I'll try a few more applications; if nothing else, I'll go back to using Kiwi paste along the edges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads