• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you comment on the foam filler? Is it worth it? Why choose a filler over cork?

I’ve always just used Saphir’s cordovan gunk on old shell- but I’ve been doing this for only a short wile and have been alive less than some forum members have been collecting shoes- does neatsfoot oil make a difference?
It’s very important with old shell to moisterize the hell out of it. When shell gets dry from say,sitting unworn for a number of years it can crack when worn. Many of us have tragic stories of a beautiful pair of vintage shell that we wore and ended the day with cracks on the vamp. Cracks in Cordovan can’t really be fixed and tend to get worse. I still have a beautiful pair of Florsheim 93605’s that I constantly experiment my trial cures on. I’ve managed to stop the spread of the cracking with a sort of filler putty,sanding and re coloring—I can’t sell them as the flaw devalued them and they’re to beautiful to toss out. Anyways @davidVC has a great number of tutorials on rehabbing old shell on his vcleat website-neatsfoot oil is recommended for initial restoration

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen you in a while, old friend. I'm always afraid to ask why we haven't seen a member in a while.

And of course you reappear in style. I love this pair. The shell looks to be in sterling condition.

Any new additions lately?
Thanks @suitforcourt ,Ive had some things going on that took my eye off the shoes for awhile. Things are good now. I’ll hunt around for new additions since last time around and post some shoe Appreciation,I definitely owe you alot of that!?. Oh,and thanks for sending me down that Bostonian made in USA rabbit hole-yeah,at $150 I couldn’t resist going for it. I opted for the tan plain toe as a nice summer shoe. I’m intrigued by the quality,looking at the longwings I noticed alot of double stitching and the leather soles and combination heel is nice. I liked the burgundy LWB but I have too many similar at home I couldn’t justify it

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim PTBs on a warm day.

My wife also recently knitted a toque, and the scarf she crocheted during our dating days. The light breeze keeps the winter gear in service probably until late April, early May.

Stay healthy, brothers. View attachment 1361482 View attachment 1361481 View attachment 1361482 View attachment 1361487 View attachment 1361488
You’re on lake Erie right?,I keep forgetting that Toronto is the other major Great Lakes city. The Great Lakes should be it’s own country,for one thing,we can all relate to how a slight breeze keeps winter gear in play until May!

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re on lake Erie right?,I keep forgetting that Toronto is the other major Great Lakes city. The Great Lakes should be it’s own country,for one thing,we can all relate to how a slight breeze keeps winter gear in play until May!
To clarify-I’m not dissing Toronto by “forgetting “it’s status as a great city,it’s just the ingrained American mindset that we are center of the universe.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lake Ontario. But if it keeps growing it will be on Lake Erie soon enough! But for now Lake Erie belongs to Cleveland.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @suitforcourt ,Ive had some things going on that took my eye off the shoes for awhile. Things are good now. I’ll hunt around for new additions since last time around and post some shoe Appreciation,I definitely owe you alot of that!?. Oh,and thanks for sending me down that Bostonian made in USA rabbit hole-yeah,at $150 I couldn’t resist going for it. I opted for the tan plain toe as a nice summer shoe. I’m intrigued by the quality,looking at the longwings I noticed alot of double stitching and the leather soles and combination heel is nice. I liked the burgundy LWB but I have too many similar at home I couldn’t justify it
Was there a promo code in addition to the sale?

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been sitting on these 1950’s Nunn Bush Shell brogue derbies until I had to chance to properly condition them with Neatsfoot overnight etc—they are now ready for action View attachment 1361130 View attachment 1361131 View attachment 1361132 View attachment 1361133 View attachment 1361134
And finally to go drive past where the shoes were born-the old former Nunn Bush factory from 1915 at 5th and Hadley in Milwaukee,eight blocks due west of my house! View attachment 1361135
nice shoes. Nice rug

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still going to work. I guess I'm "essential" (at least that's what I've been saying for YEARS), so today I'm wearing these Mason LWBs.

20200326_113725.jpg

20200326_113737.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day Nine. Trying to keep my better half calm. She is stressed and asked for one of my conservative business dress *******. Here you go honey.

Still dressing for work to wfh. It helps maintain some semblance of normalcy.

Bostonian MIUSA shell PTB

IMG_20200326_101742.jpg
IMG_20200326_101001.jpg

Raimar

Reaction score
What are people seeing in online auctions with respect to prices? Is it a good time to buy? Are closing prices lower due to people being more worried about basic necessities (not shoes!?)? Or are prices higher because there are more people out there buying online since they can't go out? No difference? What would you expect to be the actual case?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am closer to Lake Lake Ontario. As you know, the winters can be brutal.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads