• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nikolau

Reaction score
Hanover LB Sheppards today. These got a full rebuild - welts, soles, cat paw heels, sole protectors, and spenco foam filler (instead of cork). Quite comfortable and no major difference from cork filler. View attachment 1361083 View attachment 1361084 View attachment 1361084

Can you comment on the foam filler? Is it worth it? Why choose a filler over cork?

I’ve been sitting on these 1950’s Nunn Bush Shell brogue derbies until I had to chance to properly condition them with Neatsfoot overnight etc—they are now ready for action View attachment 1361130 View attachment 1361131 View attachment 1361132 View attachment 1361133 View attachment 1361134
And finally to go drive past where the shoes were born-the old former Nunn Bush factory from 1915 at 5th and Hadley in Milwaukee,eight blocks due west of my house! View attachment 1361135

I’ve always just used Saphir’s cordovan gunk on old shell- but I’ve been doing this for only a short wile and have been alive less than some forum members have been collecting shoes- does neatsfoot oil make a difference?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you comment on the foam filler? Is it worth it? Why choose a filler over cork?

I’ve always just used Saphir’s cordovan gunk on old shell- but I’ve been doing this for only a short wile and have been alive less than some forum members have been collecting shoes- does neatsfoot oil make a difference?

When the cobbler took them apart, the filler was some kind of foam. No explanation for it. Maybe custom ordered? The shoes were used but had the original soles and heels.

So when the cobbler chatted with me about options, I naturally opted for cork. He recommended spenco foam and said it's more comfortable and designed for people with feet issues. I use orthotics. So I decided to give it a try.

I recommend everyone get it for one pair and test for yourselves. They are comfortable and no discernible difference from the feeling of cork.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been sitting on these 1950’s Nunn Bush Shell brogue derbies until I had to chance to properly condition them with Neatsfoot overnight etc—they are now ready for action View attachment 1361130 View attachment 1361131 View attachment 1361132 View attachment 1361133 View attachment 1361134
And finally to go drive past where the shoes were born-the old former Nunn Bush factory from 1915 at 5th and Hadley in Milwaukee,eight blocks due west of my house! View attachment 1361135

Haven't seen you in a while, old friend. I'm always afraid to ask why we haven't seen a member in a while.

And of course you reappear in style. I love this pair. The shell looks to be in sterling condition.

Any new additions lately?

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My non-vintage used shoe fail for the day.

Was watching a pair of shoes on eBay. Got a broadcast offer from the seller to all watchers for 25% off. It was still a little more than I wanted to pay because they were Euro sized shoes (46), and that appears to be on the cusp of a 12 and 13. I have ZERO experience with EU sized shoes.

Since his broadcast offer didn't allow me to counteroffer, I sent him a note saying I'd do it for another $20 less. He agreed, but couldn't figure out how to kill the broadcast offer, so he reposted them for the agreed upon price and sent me the item number. Before I could load the page, someone else swooped in and bought them for our agreed upon price.

He offered to cancel the sale, and I told him that was OK. I understood that it was better for him to keep the sure money than trust that I would complete the transaction. He appreciated that as a small business owner in NYC, who I imagine is struggling as that city is completely locked down.

So no Vass double monkstraps for me. Not that I needed them anyway,

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way -- speaking of EU sizes -- there is an interesting looking pair of Alan McAfee shortwings on the Bay right now. 12UK/13US. I don't think they're narrow, or I'd buy them. Based on the branding on the sockliner, I would guess that they're more recent, but I wouldn't know how to date them or whether Alan McAfee quality is/was still decent when these were made. "Bench made in England" used to be a sign of quality. Is it still? (not my listing)

I have a pair of vintage Alan McAfees that I'm getting ready to list. They're labeled 13 AA, but I would suggest these are for someone who has a 12 A, maybe 12 B foot. They're super tight on my 13 A / 13 AA foot.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in USA Bostonians for a great price. These are the current ones made in Buffalo. 51% off ticket price, and now additional 30% off.

That's a great price for US made shoes.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like you really don't have a 4th closet? We all know you do. Keep that pair and look through the others. Maybe you can find something else to move. Those loafers are very nice.

I do like them. I’ll have to wear them around the house to make sure.

Zelli are pretty well regarded shoes

They are well regarded. I’m not sure they are worth their retail price. But, so far I’m impressed.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in USA Bostonians for a great price. These are the current ones made in Buffalo. 51% off ticket price, and now additional 30% off.

That's a great price for US made shoes.

I had no idea they still made ANY decent shoes. These do look good.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea they still made ANY decent shoes. These do look good.

Fairly recent revival of the US made line. They had some boots too, but I guess those are sold out. The price is really enticing. But I am not a huge fan of the LWB layout.

Buffalo and Western NY has seen a resurgence in shoe manufacturing. Parkhurst also makes their boots there. And yet again, compelling prices.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt I finally found a pair of 875s in my size! You remember these:
fullsizeoutput_2242-jpeg.1258522

Just pulled the trigger on some for myself. One of my sons is a construction worker and I got him these several years in a row for Christmas. He's a believer.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.07.55 PM.png

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just pulled the trigger on some for myself. One of my sons is a construction worker and I got him these several years in a row for Christmas. He's a believer.
View attachment 1361259

Great price! I really enjoy using my pair in the winter, especially with the new Vibram lug soles. Enjoy!

nikolau

Reaction score
By the way -- speaking of EU sizes -- there is an interesting looking pair of Alan McAfee shortwings on the Bay right now. 12UK/13US. I don't think they're narrow, or I'd buy them. Based on the branding on the sockliner, I would guess that they're more recent, but I wouldn't know how to date them or whether Alan McAfee quality is/was still decent when these were made. "Bench made in England" used to be a sign of quality. Is it still? (not my listing)

I’ve actually put in an offer on these, waiting for seller to respond. If anyone knows anything about them I’d love to figure out what I’m about to get.

Last edited:

happypebble

Reaction score
Haven't seen you in a while, old friend. I'm always afraid to ask why we haven't seen a member in a while.

Understandable; I'd be a little afraid to ask that question myself. Well, here's a member you haven't seen in a while; me. Back about a month ago I came down with a particularly nasty case of the flu. Flat on my back for days, basically nonfunctional. Once I was starting to recover from that, (and at age 56 you don't bounce back as quickly as a younger man might) then I went through bad allergies (green pollen everywhere here in Vegas), some digestive issues and a cold just to make things extra lousy. It has taken this long to start feeling somewhere close to normal. All that time the shoe game was the last thing on my mind, but today I felt good enough to log in and look around. Even saw a pair I wanted! So I'm around, may be lurking here and there but I'm alive. Here endeth the epistle.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1361259
I've been trying to sell my "distressed" (read: abused) Red Wing 606s on eBay for several weeks. I finally dropped the price to $0.99 and got a bid. Better than sending them to the dump.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads