• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are called “Ghillies”. They are made as part of dress wear for a Scottish outfit. Knee socks, garters, a dirk and your kilt.

kilowatts

Ah! Interesting information there.

I had seen these (to me) strange John Lobb shoes, and now realize that they are styled after Ghillies, down to the tassels on the laces.

i-img600x436-1565174045qb2e0c234-jpg.1221887

kilowatts

Reaction score

I had seen these (to me) strange John Lobb shoes, and now realize that they are styled after Ghillies, down to the tassels on the laces.

If you ever see the British royal family at Balmoral on TV all the men wear traditional Scottish dress and many wear ghillies to finish it off. They are also worn in traditional Scottish dancing. I think some regiments wear them with trews, those tartan tight pants. Not completely sure about that though.
Maybe they should try blue suede long wings,eh?
Kilowatts

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I’ve often looked at the UK version of eBay for shoes. I purchased a wonderful pair of Dinkelackers for next to nothing. I searched for British officers shoes and often you get Scottish heavyweight ex army brogues which are usually made by Sanders & Sanders and are a great deal. They have a British army sizing system which I don’t quite understand but nevertheless they are great shoes. Take a look and see if there are any.
Kilowatts

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Hah! This is too funny. Earlier in the day, I had remembered the discussion about those Lobbs since at the time it prompted me to present some horrid (modern) cole haans that i'd purchased for some crazy reason prior to getting into proper shoes. I figured there was no possible way I could dig up my post... but now that you dug up your Lobb post, I was now able to find my post!

By the way, I will add that now that I am reviewing these few options for Ghillies... I do think I like the John Lobbs the most. :)

nikolau

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I’ve often looked at the UK version of eBay for shoes. I purchased a wonderful pair of Dinkelackers for next to nothing. I searched for British officers shoes and often you get Scottish heavyweight ex army brogues which are usually made by Sanders & Sanders and are a great deal. They have a British army sizing system which I don’t quite understand but nevertheless they are great shoes. Take a look and see if there are any.
Kilowatts
What’s the UK version of eBay? Is it just “.co.uk” or is there a distinct, separate auction site?

kilowatts

Reaction score
I’ve often found that on European eBay sites they attach little value to Florsheim and other American makes. I haven’t had any luck with my size but I have seen substantially lower sales for “our” kind of shoes. Of course, English makes are all over the place.
kilowatts

Dit_rich

Reaction score
To me it looks like an aftermarket hack job on those shoes to make them like a cutaway summer shoe.
100%. I didn't have time to look at them carefully in the store but it's obvious on the pictures.
But hey, "Ghillies" - I learned something new thanks to that :)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sneaky. You’ll make a great QC.
Kilowatts

Ontario gave up the QC designation. Who knows, they might revive it. By that time, it might be KC.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that most of us are stuck at home, let's keep the mind sharp.

First pair of "nice" shoes.

Most money you've ever paid for a pair of shoes.

Your unicorn pair of shoes?

What you're willing to pay for the unicorn pair.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair of "nice" shoes. My grandpa bought me a pair of Florsheim LWBs in 1997. Likely one of the last US made, or US assembled ones. I eventually threw them out. They were bought at a Florsheim store in Hong Kong. Grandpa was really into shoes. But only wore Bally of Switzerland for the comfort.

Most money you've ever paid for a pair of shoes. Oh. Man. All in? Over $600 (Canadian).

Your unicorn pair of shoes? NOS John McHale LWBs in 8.5eee. The iconic cherry coloured pair.

What you're willing to pay for the unicorn pair. $500+. Depends on my budget and financial circumstances obviously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads