• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my mid-90s AE Black Cherry Shell Bristols today:

20200227_bristols.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Questions about conditioning (particularly for shell):

After seeing @davidVC's heartbreaking post the other day, I decided I'd better condition the shoes above before their next wear, and so, last night, I combined advice from Kirby Allison with advice from Nick Horween: I gave them a light coat of Renovateur, which I let sit for about an hour, then brushed them vigorously and let them sit for another 20 minutes before wiping them down with a soft cloth. Then I gave them a light coat of neutral cordovan cream, let them sit overnight, then brushed them vigorously this morning and wiped them down with a soft cloth.

There are a still a couple of places (where the rolls meet the edge of the top of the vamp) that feel a lot like dry skin: is there something else you'd suggest I do with them?

Also, how often would you condition vintage shell? These came beautifully conditioned (thanks again @Lmrjfud!), and today is the 15th wear since I started keeping track at the beginning of August 2019 (I'm not sure how many wears they had before I started keeping track, maybe another 2 or 3).

Thanks!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Joy of joys, the British Boot Shop of Calgary, McHale built gunboats that @Dit_rich posted last week in the Canadian Vintage Shoe thread arrived at noon today. They are Size 10.5EE and they will end up with my wide-footed son, who was born about two kilometers from the factory in which these shoes were made. They really didn't require much work, but I washed them and cleaned the welts, removed a bit of old polish with Renomat, moisturized with Bicks 4, dressed the edges, and polished with a bit of clear Collonil Supreme Creme de Lux. I also put in some new laces, put they may get changed to a darker pair.

The shoes were a private label offering by the British Boot Shop (BBS) but they are for all intents and purposes the Canadian version of the Florsheim Imperial that was built by McHale. These shoes have the Made in Canada maple leaf printed mid-sole on the sock-liner indicating they were manufactured in the 70's or early 80's. For interest's sake, the last few pictures show one of the "Florsheim/BBS" shoes side-by side with a John McHale signature shoe from the same era. Both have thick double soles, with the McHales being perhaps a 32nd of an inch thicker. The McHales have nailed leather heels and the BBS shoes have Goodyear heels, however many Florsheims by McHale had leather soles. In this case the choice of soles would have been determined by the British Boot Shop.

The McHale shoes have a deeper reddish brown colour and larger brogue holes on the toe box, while the Mchales are short-wing Bluchers and the BBS are long-wings. The McHales have their signature John McHale "box-barring" on the base of the lace stays and have gold 360 storm welt versus the black 360 storm welt on the BBS shoes. Both shoes have the classic McHale doubled and stitched sock-liners, and both have the MIC maple leaf. The heel height is almost identical, with perhaps a very slight nod to the McHales. Overall both shoes are of a wonderful quality.

Thank you so much @Dit_rich for passing these on to me. They will be in the family for many years to come!

View attachment 1344817 View attachment 1344818 View attachment 1344819 View attachment 1344820 View attachment 1344821 View attachment 1344822 View attachment 1344823

We need the mantle update shot. :)

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the DMV this morning. First wearing of the $2.00 Bally boots. Ouch. Boy are they snug, especially in the instep. I might need to stop home to change. Any tips for stretching the vamp a bit?
20200227_085857.jpg

20200227_085908.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully it wasn’t raining today. My selection this morning was my vintage towncraft that I customized in an experiment.

I like how they turned out.

38EB0E3A-CAB6-47E9-82D2-00F935674053.jpeg
6DDDA778-53D2-4B68-AFEB-2A3C96EB05FC.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@instigateur - as you can see, I incorporated your request. No limit on when shoes were bought.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Ferragamo loafers (to resell, not for personal) a few days ago in which the size stamp wore away, so I don't know what size they are. My estimate, based on comparison with a couple of eBay listings with measurements is that they are 9 D. On the off chance that one or several of my shoe brethren has a similar pair near that size, would you mind measuring and letting me know?
These are the shoes:
2D2992A1-68B2-43BF-9616-5235D6C08494.jpeg
And these are the measurements I have ~11 7/8” by 4”
3B31F1FF-1404-44CB-BE45-2206739F0F60.jpeg A5321C21-0EAE-46B5-A5FF-B5B22527610D.jpeg

Thanks

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the DMV this morning. First wearing of the $2.00 Bally boots. Ouch. Boy are they snug, especially in the instep. I might need to stop home to change. Any tips for stretching the vamp a bit? View attachment 1345209

View attachment 1345210
I got some shoe stretchers on amazon that work really well. None of my shoes are unbearably tight, but the modest investment in the stretchers was well worth it.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my mid-90s AE Black Cherry Shell Bristols today:

View attachment 1345204
Questions about conditioning (particularly for shell):

After seeing @davidVC's heartbreaking post the other day, I decided I'd better condition the shoes above before their next wear, and so, last night, I combined advice from Kirby Allison with advice from Nick Horween: I gave them a light coat of Renovateur, which I let sit for about an hour, then brushed them vigorously and let them sit for another 20 minutes before wiping them down with a soft cloth. Then I gave them a light coat of neutral cordovan cream, let them sit overnight, then brushed them vigorously this morning and wiped them down with a soft cloth.

There are a still a couple of places (where the rolls meet the edge of the top of the vamp) that feel a lot like dry skin: is there something else you'd suggest I do with them?

Also, how often would you condition vintage shell? These came beautifully conditioned (thanks again @Lmrjfud!), and today is the 15th wear since I started keeping track at the beginning of August 2019 (I'm not sure how many wears they had before I started keeping track, maybe another 2 or 3).

Thanks!
for those hard-to-reach places, I think you can just put a generous dollop of Bick4 on your fingers and rub it in.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes AND pants!

Thanks! It's an old Brooks Brothers suit that I've had for 20+ years. Very old school with a high rise waist and a 3-roll-2 lapel. I figured it was stylistically appropriate for my vintage LWB.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1979 Allen Edmonds MacNeil. Standing in an SRO meeting of media relations practitioners for the university and its assorted schools.

View attachment 1345313

BTW, I really LOVE these shoes. If I ever pare my collection down to a couple dozen, these would definitely make the cut. I would pick these over my 93602s (but the vintage MacNeil last works better for me than the Kenmoor last).

In that same culling pass, I would be torn between my '60s era black MacNeils and my '60s era Foot-Joy LWB. My Florsheim 96624s would be a possible wild card, but only because I had them recrafted with JR soles and heels at B. Nelson and I have much more invested in them than the MacNeils or Foot-Joys. But I prefer the other shoes.

Maybe that's an exercise we should entertain. If you had to distill your collection -- picking absolute winners and losers -- which shoes would you pick over others? What would be the right threshold? A dozen shoes? Two dozen?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what I use. There are wooden and metal versions as well. Also some made for boots.

View attachment 1345277
I got some shoe stretchers on amazon that work really well. None of my shoes are unbearably tight, but the modest investment in the stretchers was well worth it.
So what is your stretching process? I shoved some shoe trees with high insteps in them and after about 5 minutes I could see the leather of the vamp starting to check and crack. I pulled the trees out and slathered the shoes with Bick 4. Several heavy applications a day for about 3 days. The leather was still soaking up Bick, and I haven't tried the trees again. In short, how do I stretch without tearing thin leather?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads