• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We love many vintage items and revel in finding NOS gems from the 1970s. It is amazing that some of these made it to 2020 in an untouched condition. It's like they fell into a time capsule or something. Well, homes can also be time capsules and in nearly NOS condition. Like this 1974 beauty that is currently for sale in Ramona, CA. The owner was the condo developer, did not live in it, sold it a few years later to a couple that only used for a vacation home once a year and now its for sale by their children. Link. I do not want to buy it, but I would not mind going through the closets, just in case. The furnishings come with the house.

View attachment 1344240

View attachment 1344241
Swanky.

Looks like the set of a Clockwork Orange. Or some other Kubrick film.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the condition of the Achilles area, I would say they're overpriced.

Definitely pass. Heavily worn. Already half soles. The last cobbler grinded down close to the welt. Damage to heel counter / ribbing.

Nice project shoes, but too expensive. Not worth rebuilding.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey vintage forum pals! It looks like our humble little group thread will cross the 1,500,000 views mark today. Such a staggering level of interest in all things vintage. Now, on to the 2,000,000 mark.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey vintage forum pals! It looks like our humble little group thread will cross the 1,500,000 views mark today. Such a staggering level of interest in all things vintage. Now, on to the 2,000,000 mark.

Thanks to you and @davidVC for making this, and keeping this thread a cordial and stress free environment.

I guess my only stress is whether to buy a pair of vintage shoes or not.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my only stress is whether to buy a pair of vintage shoes or not.
This, from the single most aggressive source of peer pressure in this thread? Yes, buy the shoes. (Especially if you’re watching one of my listings :hide:)

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Ottawa the local Value Villages occasionally put out small bags of vintage shoelaces in the knitting supply area. I have managed to pick up a lifetime supply of useful lengths, colours and styles at an average cost of about .24 cents. If you get skunked for shoes you can often get a small win by finding laces. My tip for the day is that you should know where the shoe trees and the laces are shelved in your own stores. I learned these skills at the feet of Master Thrifter @Paul902

IMG_3849.jpg

Last edited:

Raimar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reality check on those Florsheims.
Decided to start working on a project pair instead. I wanted to test acetone to strip a pair of aristocrat saddles. They looked in really bad shape even for five dollars but justified purchase on testing grounds.

Sorry for all the pictures but wanted some advice. Shoes were still wet that's why the creases look so dark. Not so much anymore. Are those areas that can be sanded to disguise the creasing?
I don't have the tools to clean all the broguing.
What would be the next step after conditioning. Dye them or just high pigmentation cream?
Thanks for your suggestions. IMG_20200226_153017806.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200226_153009054.jpg
    IMG_20200226_153009054.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200226_153026222.jpg
    IMG_20200226_153026222.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200226_153038878.jpg
    IMG_20200226_153038878.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200226_160909570.jpg
    IMG_20200226_160909570.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200226_152958470.jpg
    IMG_20200226_152958470.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200226_153003610.jpg
    IMG_20200226_153003610.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 24

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Ottawa the local Value Villages occasionally put out small bags of vintage shoelaces in the knitting supply area. I have managed to pick up a lifetime supply of useful lengths, colours and styles at an average cost of about .24 cents. If you get skunked for shoes you can often get a small win by finding laces. My tip for the day is that you should know where the shoe trees and the laces are shelved in your own stores. I learned these skills at the feet of Master Thrifter @Paul902

View attachment 1344679
Pro tip right there. Thanks!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joy of joys, the British Boot Shop of Calgary, McHale built gunboats that @Dit_rich posted last week in the Canadian Vintage Shoe thread arrived at noon today. They are Size 10.5EE and they will end up with my wide-footed son, who was born about two kilometers from the factory in which these shoes were made. They really didn't require much work, but I washed them and cleaned the welts, removed a bit of old polish with Renomat, moisturized with Bicks 4, dressed the edges, and polished with a bit of clear Collonil Supreme Creme de Lux. I also put in some new laces, put they may get changed to a darker pair.

The shoes were a private label offering by the British Boot Shop (BBS) but they are for all intents and purposes the Canadian version of the Florsheim Imperial that was built by McHale. These shoes have the Made in Canada maple leaf printed mid-sole on the sock-liner indicating they were manufactured in the 70's or early 80's. For interest's sake, the last few pictures show one of the "Florsheim/BBS" shoes side-by side with a John McHale signature shoe from the same era. Both have thick double soles, with the McHales being perhaps a 32nd of an inch thicker. The McHales have nailed leather heels and the BBS shoes have Goodyear heels, however many Florsheims by McHale had leather soles. In this case the choice of soles would have been determined by the British Boot Shop.

The McHale shoes have a deeper reddish brown colour and larger brogue holes on the toe box, while the Mchales are short-wing Bluchers and the BBS are long-wings. The McHales have their signature John McHale "box-barring" on the base of the lace stays and have gold 360 storm welt versus the black 360 storm welt on the BBS shoes. Both shoes have the classic McHale doubled and stitched sock-liners, and both have the MIC maple leaf. The heel height is almost identical, with perhaps a very slight nod to the McHales. Overall both shoes are of a wonderful quality.

Thank you so much @Dit_rich for passing these on to me. They will be in the family for many years to come!

IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_3852.jpg
IMG_3853.jpg
IMG_3854.jpg
IMG_3856.jpg
IMG_3858.jpg
IMG_3860.jpg

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just slink down to the local sawmill and see what I can dredge up for you. It might be in the form of contaminated topsoil, however.

There are also multiple forms/types of Dowicide, each used for a different purpose. I believe I am looking for Dowicide A, which dissolves in aqueous solution and is used for leather hide treatment. But that's where I was hoping to get more details from the folks at the Smithsonian.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized that of all my vintage Florsheim (including a fair number of LWB), I do not have a Black LWB!
I have Nettleton, and an unknown maker Black Shell Cordovan. But, I don’t have Florsheim Black calf!

that’s a weird hole in the collection.

I am also seriously struggling with wearing the three new shoes I have. I have 93602 NOS, new Footjoy, and new AE Shell LWB.They are only new once!

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joy of joys, the British Boot Shop of Calgary, McHale built gunboats that @Dit_rich posted last week in the Canadian Vintage Shoe thread arrived at noon today. They are Size 10.5EE and they will end up with my wide-footed son, who was born about two kilometers from the factory in which these shoes were made. They really didn't require much work, but I washed them and cleaned the welts, removed a bit of old polish with Renomat, moisturized with Bicks 4, dressed the edges, and polished with a bit of clear Collonil Supreme Creme de Lux. I also put in some new laces, put they may get changed to a darker pair.

The shoes were a private label offering by the British Boot Shop (BBS) but they are for all intents and purposes the Canadian version of the Florsheim Imperial that was built by McHale. These shoes have the Made in Canada maple leaf printed mid-sole on the sock-liner indicating they were manufactured in the 70's or early 80's. For interest's sake, the last few pictures show one of the "Florsheim/BBS" shoes side-by side with a John McHale signature shoe from the same era. Both have thick double soles, with the McHales being perhaps a 32nd of an inch thicker. The McHales have nailed leather heels and the BBS shoes have Goodyear heels, however many Florsheims by McHale had leather soles. In this case the choice of soles would have been determined by the British Boot Shop.

The McHale shoes have a deeper reddish brown colour and larger brogue holes on the toe box, while the broguing on the lace stays is lower on the McHales. The McHales have their signature John McHale "box-barring" on the base of the lace stays and have gold 360 storm welt versus the black 360 storm welt on the BBS shoes. Both shoes have the classic McHale doubled and stitched sock-liners, and both have the MIC maple leaf. The heel height is almost identical, with perhaps a very slight nod to the McHales. Overall both shoes are of a wonderful quality.

Thank you so much @Dit_rich for passing these on to me. They will be in the family for many years to come!

View attachment 1344817 View attachment 1344818 View attachment 1344819 View attachment 1344820 View attachment 1344821 View attachment 1344822 View attachment 1344823

Very nice! I love my John McHale Florsheims that I posted a few days ago.

Interestingly, yours appear to be short wing bluchers rather than balmorals. I don’t think I’ve seen many shoes in that configuration.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
miCanada Florsheims by John McHale on this cool late autumn overcast day.
I gave up on the spider web lacing pattern I had been using because I realized I was getting a lot of heel slip. To prevent that I wanted to lace them up tighter, and the spider web lacing didn't really allow that. Oh well.

View attachment 1302482
Nice touch with the Maple Leaf!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads