• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, that sucks.

I actually have a couple pair of shell that are out of rotation until I have a chance to do a full glycerin treatment. I’m still trying to source Dowicide antimicrobial to add to the distilled water/vegetable glycerine solution.
I'm not sure if Dowicide is even available for consumer purchase any more. The active ingredient in Dowicide is/was pentachlorophenol (PCP, but not to be confused with angel dust), which is a carcinogen, and often an environmental contaminant found at wood preservation facilities.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like any NST. I think the grain pattern on these makes them even more interesting.

3D7CCF30-645B-4928-A684-43A44F1E3D6C.jpeg
7E386A1D-8E88-4851-A395-BED5D0F49EEF.jpeg

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did any of you snatch the NOS 93603 off eBay this morning. Nice score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s a pair I’ve been wearing lately. These are 1940s CH Baker shoes. I don’t often see broguing on split toe shoes, so that makes these pretty unique. View attachment 1344155

Those are really unique, as you well know. Super sweet. I would wear them frequently as well. Never seen the brogue on the side like that.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been a fruitless start to the week for me while thrifting. Here are a couple pairs or Florsheim I left behind:

First some 10EEE by McHale. They are a nice black PTB in kudu, but they had three strikes: 1) no laces (easily rectified) 2) missing a sock liner (could add a leather insole, but still makes it a tough sell) and 3) the single leather was starting to get thin under the ball of the foot. Shame...were nice shoes.
IMG_7525.JPG IMG_7526.JPG IMG_7527.JPG

Also in the wide dept these 8.5 3E loafers. They looked a little tired, and black loafer are slow movers. I was curious as to when these would date to. They had a green Florsheim tag in the side window, and some green inner stitching. I had not seen that before.
IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7531.JPG IMG_7530.JPG

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We love many vintage items and revel in finding NOS gems from the 1970s. It is amazing that some of these made it to 2020 in an untouched condition. It's like they fell into a time capsule or something. Well, homes can also be time capsules and in nearly NOS condition. Like this 1974 beauty that is currently for sale in Ramona, CA. The owner was the condo developer, did not live in it, sold it a few years later to a couple that only used for a vacation home once a year and now its for sale by their children. Link. I do not want to buy it, but I would not mind going through the closets, just in case. The furnishings come with the house.

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 5.27.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 5.27.14 PM.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We love many vintage items and revel in finding NOS gems from the 1970s. It is amazing that some of these made it to 2020 in an untouched condition. It's like they fell into a time capsule or something. Well, homes can also be time capsules and in nearly NOS condition. Like this 1974 beauty that is currently for sale in Ramona, CA. The owner was the condo developer, did not live in it, sold it a few years later to a couple that only used for a vacation home once a year and now its for sale by their children. Link. I do not want to buy it, but I would not mind going through the closets, just in case. The furnishings come with the house.

View attachment 1344240

View attachment 1344241

Is that a good price for that area? I have no concept of real estate prices, except the Toronto area bubble won't burst.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a good price for that area? I have no concept of real estate prices, except the Toronto area bubble won't burst.

Yeah, that is actually a low price for the area. It’s a condo on a golf course and many of the places around it are even higher. This is why there are multiple offers already.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is actually a low price for the area. It’s a condo on a golf course and many of the places around it are even higher. This is why there are multiple offers already.

I think the furniture is pretty awesome. I guess I am old at heart.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Dowicide is even available for consumer purchase any more. The active ingredient in Dowicide is/was pentachlorophenol (PCP, but not to be confused with angel dust), which is a carcinogen, and often an environmental contaminant found at wood preservation facilities.

I had one salesman quote me $1,400 for a 50 lb bag. I think I need about 6 oz. so I politely turned him down.

I’m checking with our hazmat squad at the university. If there’s any on campus, it’s likely registered. Maybe I can buy a small portion from a professor. I only need 6 oz.

I did finally get a response from one of the Smithsonian’s fabric preservationists, but she specializes in wool. So she forwarded my note to the leather experts. But she recommended against glycerine solutions for wool — it leaves the fibers sticky.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one salesman quote me $1,400 for a 50 lb bag. I think I need about 6 oz. so I politely turned him down.

I’m checking with our hazmat squad at the university. If there’s any on campus, it’s likely registered. Maybe I can buy a small portion from a professor. I only need 6 oz.

I did finally get a response from one of the Smithsonian’s fabric preservationists, but she specializes in wool. So she forwarded my note to the leather experts. But she recommended against glycerine solutions for wool — it leaves the fibers sticky.
I'll just slink down to the local sawmill and see what I can dredge up for you. It might be in the form of contaminated topsoil, however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads