• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A flat response reference speaker (or headphone) should have extended bass, meaning that it's capable of accurately reproducing bass down to let's say at least 30hz but ideally down to even 20hz, at least with some response. The thing to keep in mind is that deep bass is felt more than heard. I do personally prefer a flat or reference style headphone myself even though I listed to a wide range of music. It's kind of an acquired taste, I guess, because as you said the midrange is relatively more pronounced than what most people are accustomed to.

I've only ever listened to one pair of audio technica headphones and did not care for them. It may be that the model you tried were just not good. Or it may be that you prefer more of a V shaped response profile where the bass and treble are tuned to have more presence than they otherwise would in a flat response speaker. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. Listen to what you enjoy not what others tell you that you should like (kind of like wine).

Thanks. Those headphones are long gone, and I don't remember how far down they went, but for the purpose I bought them (audio recording monitoring) it didn't matter too much. I just recall that when I tried them with music, I immediately thought, "Yuck!"

I've gone from mainly listening to pop, and moved on to jazz, new age classical, and classical (yeah... getting old) but I think I still prefer a shallow V.

Anyway, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I have laid off on new purchases for a while, so haven't been posting too many photos.
But just to share some shoe p0rn, I wore these Florsheim by John McHales yesterday. My first pair of LWBs and still one of my favorites. Have a great weekend ahead!

20200221.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93602s dyed by yours truly. I did the natural edges too.
C191DDA3-2959-455C-9381-3EB9F39219BE.jpeg
48248199-A45C-4CC8-861B-738747341981.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden Shell LWB today:

View attachment 1341248 View attachment 1341249

I have an ettiquet question for you all.

I am attending a funeral this weekend. Of all the suits I have, one is black pinstripe and it’s way too big. I don’t have a solid black suit.

Is a black suit really a requirement? I think that very dark charcoal is acceptable. Right?

Trying to choose footwear. I think the simple choice is black cap toe. I wish I could wear wingtips because the departed shared my love of heavy vintage wingtips. But, a cap toe is probably more proper.
Black suit not a requirement at all. Look nice. That’s easy for you, I’m sure. That shows respect.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM sent to him, referencing you. Shell is in the air.

Some Florsheim 9.5Ds can work for me. One of us Canucks should take them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found some (I think) vintage Florsheim PTBs in shell. A few questions - the insides are pretty nasty. I disinfected but any tips on getting rid of grime?

Attachments

• 4B5FF59B-E46E-44AF-B129-0DB5021487AF.jpeg
    4B5FF59B-E46E-44AF-B129-0DB5021487AF.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2A9FE25D-0278-46F0-B691-1259E68BB2FE.jpeg
    2A9FE25D-0278-46F0-B691-1259E68BB2FE.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 22

actionjbone

Reaction score
Anyone else notice shoes in movies/tv now?

I'm watching season one of Mindhunter. In episode 4 they park in a dump and get out into puddles. Black longwings!

View attachment 1341112
Look closely - they're not actually longwings.

They're shortwings. They have a second set of "wings" attached to the vamp and running down behind the heel.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads