• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like spring in the Bay Area so why not go with the Golden Harvests? The left shoe is darker than the right. The right shoe won’t take shoe cream for anything. I’m tempted to try a light coat of dye but it’s probably not worth it.
5A3DCA07-9271-43C1-94C3-AF5FB10B2CC4.jpeg
9D5256A9-6787-4808-8C55-F40EFE9DB587.jpeg

ecworks

Reaction score
Found a pair of early '70's Royal Imperial 93631 in Golden Harvest in excellent shape on ebay last year, wore them occasionally and finally sent them off to McFarlands Shoe Repair (thru Kirby Allison) for a recraft using their Imperial Resoling and Restoration. They use JR soles, heel blocks and re-creat the heel nail pattern and the classic 5 nail pattern at the mid-sole. New cork, new midsole.
He just called me from his shop in Florida to let me know he was finished with them. Took a little longer as he had to order the XL soles from JR but they came out beautifully. Take a look:

Attachments

• IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8886.jpg
    IMG_8886.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8887.jpg
    IMG_8887.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8888.jpg
    IMG_8888.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

wakazuki

Reaction score
TLDR: Thrift store situation in Japan is horrible.

Salvation Army runs a bazaar every once in a while, but they are practically unknown here (tiny, tiny Christian presence in Japan). And Goodwill does not exist as far as I know. Not much of a 'donating' culture here either. Most things are just thrown away.

There are a few sort of thrift store-like places around, but I would say they are a bit closer to pawn shops that buy unwanted stuff in bulk and flip it... but mostly junk. And almost no men's shoes.

Used goods shops also exist, but they check prices and it's rare to find bargains. I see lots of beat up Johnston & Murphy shoes going for $100 to $200 at these shops. Never seen a Florsheim, Nettleton, Hannover, Alden, or other good vintage brand at these shops.

And the vintage shop pair in Koenji that were recently mentioned here (Whistler and Chart) are more about vintage American fashion than actually about vintage shoes. They just get whatever they can find in the US on buying trips, maaaaaybe brush them a little, and then flip them for about 4x or more. Most of what I've seen in those shops is just nasty.

The only good shop, IMO, is Super 8. But his prices are typical for Japan, which is still about 3x what you'd expect on eBay. I'd like to support him with my business, but it's a bit tough unless he ever gets a super rare shoe in my size that I just can't find elsewhere.

I love going thrifting when I'm back in the US, even if I never get lucky like CWOyaji.

How about Yahoo oku? Prices might still.not be as good as eBay but I found the choice to be wide for shoes (with all the brands you mentioned).

Too bad Japan is not as much a thrift heaven for vintage shoes as it is for clothes... Also too bad discerning shop buyers/consumers over there make prices higher...

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

obc28.5

Reaction score
How about Yahoo oku? Prices might still.not be as good as eBay but I found the choice to be wide for shoes (with all the brands you mentioned).
There is also Mercari. You don't have the prices you find in the U.S. because in Japan the kind of shoes which find favor here on this forum just weren't available or affordable to the common citizen until the 1970's- and then those shoes (like Red Wings) were bought for fashion. So the used stuff here is from enthusiasts, not like in the U.S. where they are cast offs from estate sales and old folks getting rid of their stuff bought back in the 1960's or earlier. Anyway. I sometimes find good stuff on individual websites (vintage clothing stores, etc.), but typically the prices will be 20 to 30 dollars more than the equivalent in the states.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here 9.5D? Looking to sell a pair of Barrie by Hanover shell PTBs. No rips, cracks, or tears.

Asking $150 USD. I will cover shipping in Canada and continental US.
20200217_170227.jpg
20200217_170325.jpg
20200217_170330.jpg
20200217_170239.jpg

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads