• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
70s or 80s AE Jodhpurs. If these jeans were bell bottoms ... then viva 1970s.
0217201152.jpg

0217201552b_HDR.jpg
0217201552a_HDR-1.jpg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
These WWII British Army officer's field boots just arrived. They have full British military north arrow markings and are stamped as "Moccasin Makers, Northampton 1944". The same boot design was used by the Canadian military. These boots are in near NOS condition and are marked as 7 S. UK 7 narrow I presume, although they don't look particularly narrow.

View attachment 1338906 View attachment 1338907 View attachment 1338908 View attachment 1338909

Super find.

They are my size so I'm dreaming how I would wear these ... Lol.

hamercha

Reaction score
Back from vacation cruise. I’m way behind on pages. I wore flip flops and Sperry for the last 10 days and I am glad to be back in real shoes. I did discover on a couple of shore excursions that Sperry are not all the comfortable for a lot of walking.

Despite missing my dress/work shoes, I decided to ease back into office life with a fairly laid back pair of loafers. A pair that never lets me down.

Maybe this would be a good time for guess the maker! This one might be too easy. But, after 10 days off, I have to ease back into work also.

Thus, here are your clues:

1. Made in the USA
2. Not sure of the age, but old enough that they were made in USA and made with quality materials.
3. Real hand sewn moccasin construction
4. Real quality leather sole

View attachment 1338689 View attachment 1338690
Back from vacation cruise. I’m way behind on pages. I wore flip flops and Sperry for the last 10 days and I am glad to be back in real shoes. I did discover on a couple of shore excursions that Sperry are not all the comfortable for a lot of walking.

Despite missing my dress/work shoes, I decided to ease back into office life with a fairly laid back pair of loafers. A pair that never lets me down.

Maybe this would be a good time for guess the maker! This one might be too easy. But, after 10 days off, I have to ease back into work also.

Thus, here are your clues:

1. Made in the USA
2. Not sure of the age, but old enough that they were made in USA and made with quality materials.
3. Real hand sewn moccasin construction
4. Real quality leather sole

View attachment 1338689 View attachment 1338690
this looks like Sebago cayman which like almost all sebago were made in Maine until it was bought by wolverine in 2003.

sebago used to make classic loafers for brooks brother

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
I had a pair of older Leeds “refinished” by Allen Edmonds. I have seen shoes that go through recraft. They look pretty good and it’s a fairly dramatic change. I have never had a refinish. I was worried it would be a good shoe polish and not much else.

My expectations were not high, but the results were, in a word, disappointing. Perhaps, I should not have expected much.

View attachment 1338825 View attachment 1338826

View attachment 1338828

They look better. The color is more consistent. But, it does not look any better than if I had spent $8 for an airport shoe shine.

They did come with a box and new laces.

View attachment 1338832

So, if the shoe shine is worth $12 (with tip), then the box is $30 and $8 laces. I’m a little disappointed. It has not soured me on recrafting but I think I will skip the $50 refinishing in the future.

As for the guess the maker loafer, I’ll give you another hint. Think 1980’s and they not Bass.

Sorry about your disappointing experience. My own experience with AE has been mixed. I sent in some shell cordovan Leeds for refinishing and I was very pleased with the results. However, several years later I sent in some shell cordovan Bradleys for recrafting and I was disappointed in the workmanship. With the Bradleys, around the toe area of both shoes, AE missed the stitching channel on the bottom of the soles. I've considered adding taps or a rubber Topy to hide the problem, but truthfully no one is likely to notice but me. However, the experience has left me less inclined to use AE's recrafting services.

Below are some before and after pictures of the Leeds. And you can find my post about the recrafting (with pictures) here...

AELeedsAfter4_zpsa0220a92.JPG
AELeeds_zpsf5651819.JPG

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this looks like Sebago cayman which like almost all sebago were made in Maine until it was bought by wolverine in 2003.

sebago used to make classic loafers for brooks brother

DING! They are Sebago!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finish on the vamps of these Bostonians keeps flaking. They're not CG, but they look like they've been glazed or something. When I first got them, I cleaned with Fiebing's saddle soap, Bick 4ed 'em to death, and evened out the color variations with some cordovan colored shoe cream. AND the first time I wore them, the color flaked off again.

So I went at one of them with some rubbing alcohol, and a lot of the red cream came off. But as soon as I flexed the shoe, CRACK. I brushed them with a stiff shoe brush, and my hands were covered in flecks of burgundy glaze.

Clearly more power was in order. I grabbed my wife's fingernail polish remover, thinking that the hair-curling acetone would strip that glaze right off. Ha! That **** is for amateurs. It pulled less glaze off than the alcohol did.

I finally decided that it was time to get medieval on them, so I went after it with some Fiebing's on a Scotch-brite. That was effective. Perhaps too medieval, because now the raw portion of the vamp is kind of rough.

So, now what? Should I put some Bicks on the Scotch-brite and lightly smooth the raw leather? Then several coats of cordovan cream? The experimental shoe is on the left.

20200217_213521.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finish on the vamps of these Bostonians keeps flaking. They're not CG, but they look like they've been glazed or something. When I first got them, I cleaned with Fiebing's saddle soap, Bick 4ed 'em to death, and evened out the color variations with some cordovan colored shoe cream. AND the first time I wore them, the color flaked off again.

So I went at one of them with some rubbing alcohol, and a lot of the red cream came off. But as soon as I flexed the shoe, CRACK. I brushed them with a stiff shoe brush, and my hands were covered in flecks of burgundy glaze.

Clearly more power was in order. I grabbed my wife's fingernail polish remover, thinking that the hair-curling acetone would strip that glaze right off. Ha! That **** is for amateurs. It pulled less glaze off than the alcohol did.

I finally decided that it was time to get medieval on them, so I went after it with some Fiebing's on a Scotch-brite. That was effective. Perhaps too medieval, because now the raw portion of the vamp is kind of rough.

So, now what? Should I put some Bicks on the Scotch-brite and lightly smooth the raw leather? Then several coats of cordovan cream? The experimental shoe is on the left.

View attachment 1339154
No helpful suggestions about where to go from here, but an observation that nail polish remover bought from a drug store or supermarket is often not pure acetone, and so will be less than effective at removing shoe finish. You can get pure acetone at a lot of hardware stores (e.g., ACE Hardware sells "Klean Strip" acetone by the quart or gallon).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Several posts have mentioned Bedo's leather works and Steve's work on Florsheim shoes. I had him do some soles on a pair for me. He posted a video last September of a full restoration of a pair of shell Florsheims, including the suicide heel. It is posted below (all 58 minutes of it) for those who wish to see what level of work went into the original Florsheim soles. Spoiler alert, this resole cost $900 because of the time spent on the heels. Enjoy.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Several posts have mentioned Bedo's leather works and Steve's work on Florsheim shoes. I had him do some soles on a pair for me. He posted a video last September of a full restoration of a pair of shell Florsheims, including the suicide heel. It is posted below (all 58 minutes of it) for those who wish to see what level of work went into the original Florsheim soles. Spoiler alert, this resole cost $900 because of the time spent on the heels. Enjoy.

Steve does amazing work. But others can do the same for less.

Jim McFarland is the cobbler who does the work for Hanger Project:

And Dan Frappier in Sudbury Ontario can reproduce it for much less.

I've always wonder what happened to most of the workers from the Florsheim factory. Did they become cobblers? Did Florsheim allow the workers to take stock materials with them?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$900? I’m sure it’s quality work and there is nothing quite as great as a restored or NOS pair of Florsheim LWB. But, $900? I have bought cars for less than that. I like when I find a pair with a Vcleat, but my goodness they are slick!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up an old pair of RCMP Strathcona boots in my size that were really thrashed. I had them cut down to the top of the laces and aggressive Vibram topys and new Biltrite heels attached. I just lubed them up with some mink oil and am going to take them out in the snow and see how they perform. I don't hunt anymore, but i still like to get out in the bush. These should make a nice bush/cottage/hiking boot with a little more flare than what you might find off the shelf.

IMG_3733.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Steve does amazing work. But others can do the same for less.

Jim McFarland is the cobbler who does the work for Hanger Project:

And Dan Frappier in Sudbury Ontario can reproduce it for much less.

I've always wonder what happened to most of the workers from the Florsheim factory. Did they become cobblers? Did Florsheim allow the workers to take stock materials with them?
$900? I’m sure it’s quality work and there is nothing quite as great as a restored or NOS pair of Florsheim LWB. But, $900? I have bought cars for less than that. I like when I find a pair with a Vcleat, but my goodness they are slick!

My post was not a commentary on the price charged or if others could do it for less or more. I just found it interesting to watch the amount of work that goes in to making the type of sole and heel found on our beloved older Florsheims.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
My post was not a commentary on the price charged or if others could do it for less or more. I just found it interesting to watch the amount of work that goes in to making the type of sole and heel found on our beloved older Florsheims.

Yep, and if you're happy, then it's money well spent. Many would not understand why someone would purchase dress shoes with leather soles, when Rockport offers so many wonderful rubber options, in timeless styles, with nice square toes. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads