• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another pair of Tony Lama. Please tell me this is lizard or snake and not some sort of endangered hide.

View attachment 1338580

I am 99.9% sure those boots are ostrich leather made from their legs. The center part of the vamp running up is very distinctive. Here is an example of the leg leather from an Ebay ad. Not endangered at all.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.09.54 AM.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my listing! I need to clear some space so I listed both Stuart McGuire pairs I own.

I believe I bought the pair in 2016. They have been sitting unworn since other than a couple photo shoots.

You'll have to give us a full review of the Stuart McGuire Ortho-Vent Spring-Step system. I have never worn a pair.

I sent you a message already. Please leave Ebay invoice inside box. Canadian Customs wants to make sure I am not scamming the system.

I will review once I condition the shoes. They look to be in great shape!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. I was looking at that pair last night as well. I was trying to determine if the seller had correctly determined the size. A closed the listing without being 100% sure and figured the seller surely knew more than me. That was a good judgment, I suppose! :-D

096 = 9F. For English brands, that loosely translates to 9EE.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
096 = 9F. For English brands, that loosely translates to 9EE.

Thank you! Very curious to hear your feedback about how these fit. I am guessing they are reasonably true to size so hopefully they work out well for you! They are certainly a nice pair.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of older Leeds “refinished” by Allen Edmonds. I have seen shoes that go through recraft. They look pretty good and it’s a fairly dramatic change. I have never had a refinish. I was worried it would be a good shoe polish and not much else.

My expectations were not high, but the results were, in a word, disappointing. Perhaps, I should not have expected much.

64177944-12B9-4F39-9539-6B39E817FCD1.jpeg
6043CBDD-6344-4C4F-81F9-1CFAC942200E.jpeg

B74FB37E-A060-4661-A15B-AE9902F91FB2.jpeg

They look better. The color is more consistent. But, it does not look any better than if I had spent $8 for an airport shoe shine.

They did come with a box and new laces.

4716074C-7685-4E7F-B1F8-BCAD132D8702.jpeg

So, if the shoe shine is worth $12 (with tip), then the box is $30 and $8 laces. I’m a little disappointed. It has not soured me on recrafting but I think I will skip the $50 refinishing in the future.

As for the guess the maker loafer, I’ll give you another hint. Think 1980’s and they not Bass.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $5 Cheaney for Paul Stuart captoes from last week.
IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg
And the 70's e-thrift Alden saddle oxfords, also from last week.
IMG_1850.jpeg
IMG_1857.jpeg

Image 2-12-20 at 7.39 PM.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg
These are marked B width, but I think they may be on the Barrie last so would fit more like a C or possibly a D, have a look:
IMG_1860.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of older Leeds “refinished” by Allen Edmonds. I have seen shoes that go through recraft. They look pretty good and it’s a fairly dramatic change. I have never had a refinish. I was worried it would be a good shoe polish and not much else.

My expectations were not high, but the results were, in a word, disappointing. Perhaps, I should not have expected much.

View attachment 1338825 View attachment 1338826

View attachment 1338828

They look better. The color is more consistent. But, it does not look any better than if I had spent $8 for an airport shoe shine.

View attachment 1338832

So, if the shoe shine is worth $12 (with tip), then the box is $30 and $8 laces. I’m a little disappointed. It has not soured me on recrafting but I think I will skip the $50 refinishing in the future.

As for the guess the maker loafer, I’ll give you another hint. Think 1980’s and they not Bass.
Are those the AEs that are corrected grain?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those the AEs that are corrected grain?

I’m not sure, but I don’t think so. I have a pair of AE Shelton That are CG. They are much more polished and plasticky than these.

right_hook

Reaction score

View attachment 1338828

View attachment 1338832

I'd be really disappointed with that.
To be honest, I thought at first that you started with "before" photos...

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These WWII British Army officer's field boots just arrived. They have full British military north arrow markings and are stamped as "Moccasin Makers, Northampton 1944". The same boot design was used by the Canadian military. These boots are in near NOS condition and are marked as 7 S. UK 7 narrow I presume, although they don't look particularly narrow.

IMG_3726.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg
IMG_3730.jpg
IMG_3728.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1338828

View attachment 1338832

I was going to ask where the after photos were, then I realized those were the after photos. Sad.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be really disappointed with that.
To be honest, I thought at first that you started with "before" photos...
I was going to ask where the after photos were, then I realized those were the after photos. Sad.

ok. I’m glad it isn’t just me. They look bad. I got them on eBay a couple years ago. They were not in bad shape. But, the refinishing seems to have darkened the creases. They did nothing to “refinish” them. I’m pretty disappointed.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok. I’m glad it isn’t just me. They look bad. I got them on eBay a couple years ago. They were not in bad shape. But, the refinishing seems to have darkened the creases. They did nothing to “refinish” them. I’m pretty disappointed.
I would be, too.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too thought those were the “before” photos. I’d complain and ask them to fix it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads