• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mph57

Reaction score
2020 shoe revival challenge. Here are my initial thoughts (taking into account follies and successes from the first two).

Ground rules:

1. 6 months to complete the work;
2. No monetary limit, but shoes must need revival;
3. Emphasize work of enthusiasts rather than amateur cobbler (e.g. reviving leather, rather than say replacing a sole).

Initial phase of competition:

Popular voting. Some cobblers will be offering prizes to encourage voting.

Final phase of competition:

Top 10-15 move on to final round. A panel of judges will then pick top 3 finishers.

--------------------------------

I think the above format will draw back enthusiasts. And encourage participation in the voting round. Once the popularity contest ends, it will be up to the panel. Kind of like a jury trial, and then appeal to the Supreme Court. Yeah. I like that.

Your thoughts, criticisms, and feedback will always be appreciated.

I think one way to bring the enthusiasts back would be to have the shoe revived/restored to it's original condition only....meaning no re-heels, no re-soles, no dying/burnishing the shoe. Only the uppers and the heel/sole sidings revived...similar to how David VCleat or CWOyaji revive their shoes. That would present the opportunity for a lot of the individuals on this forum to participate. If you want to go "all in" with the shoe re-dying, burnishing, re-heeling etc...make that a separate category for the semi-pros. Kind of like two categories (1) "Basic Restore" (to original condition) and (2) "Anything goes" (change the shoe any way you like).

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one way to bring the enthusiasts back would be to have the shoe revived/restored to it's original condition only....meaning no re-heels, no re-soles, no dying/burnishing the shoe. Only the uppers and the heel/sole sidings revived...similar to how David VCleat or CWOyaji revive their shoes. That would present the opportunity for a lot of the individuals on this forum to participate. If you want to go "all in" with the shoe re-dying, burnishing, re-heeling etc...make that a separate category for the semi-pros. Kind of like two categories (1) "Basic Restore" (to original condition) and (2) "Anything goes" (change the shoe any way you like).

That's a great suggestion.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 shoe revival challenge. Here are my initial thoughts (taking into account follies and successes from the first two).

Ground rules:

3. Emphasize work of enthusiasts rather than amateur cobbler (e.g. reviving leather, rather than say replacing a sole).

Top 10-15 move on to final round. A panel of judges will then pick top 3 finishers.

I think the above format will draw back enthusiasts. And encourage participation in the voting round. Once the popularity contest ends, it will be up to the panel. Kind of like a jury trial, and then appeal to the Supreme Court. Yeah. I like that.

Wait. Does Canada HAVE a supreme court?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dad jeans and Chippewa Ellisons. These have become my favourite boots for the fit and comfort.
IMG_20200213_0838165.jpg
IMG_20200213_0838096.jpg

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Hanover L. B. Sheppard PTBs.

These have some water staining is like to try to remedy. Has anyone had luck with the full soak or glycerin treatment to remove water stains from shell cordovan?

View attachment 1335969

These aren’t surface water spots, but deep stains in the leather.

View attachment 1336020
View attachment 1336022
View attachment 1336021

It's possible those are water stains, but it's also possible they are just imperfections in the dyeing process. I know I've seen posted pictures of new Aldens that exhibit the same issue. Also imperfections in the dyeing process can become more evident as the shell ages. Some call it patina. Personally I would be wary of doing anything too drastic that can't be reversed. Perhaps Saphir's burgundy shell cordovan cream, which is highly pigmented, might help even it out.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ground rules:

I like it. When? This pair could be my entry if I am allowed to buy them before somebody else does....

IMG_7330.JPG IMG_7331.JPG
IMG_7343.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics