• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have added another pair gunboats to my flotilla of John McHale signature shoes; a pair of black cap-toe bluchers on the "Bomber" last (stealth bombers?). The each weigh in at slightly over 2lbs. Surprisingly the black version of this shoe is much more rare than the brown version. These shoes were made with wonderful leather. With a little effort I think I could get a really nice shine on these.

View attachment 1322465 View attachment 1322466 View attachment 1322467

that thick prominent welt! Gotta love a big sturdy gunboat! Could you imagine somebody making those today? I would love it!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local store ordered two pair for me. But, I only paid for one. So, now I have to decide which one I want.

MacNeil

F2CA339D-AF53-4949-80E1-7E407164089F.jpeg

or McTavish

3BECF97D-29BE-4E34-8592-3085CB7D8576.jpeg

my brother said McTavish because it is less “old guy”

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I THINK they discontinued the McTavish too,
I wasn't aware of that - we know they discoed the MacNeil because ae ashley said so in the ae 2019 thread last month, but I hadn't heard that they dumped the McT, too... :(

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:
I had a pair of British Army George Boots. Beautiful leather good fit etc and they came very lightly used but they had been “bulled”, in other words spit shined with a mirror gloss finish on the toes. Very well done but not for me. I used some acetone and gently removed it to the original finish. They are great for British army officers on horseback but for walking around, not so much.
Those McHale cap toes are simply awesome. If any one has any 11.5’s in any colour (color), I’ll take them.
Church’s used to be one of the best RTW shoes but if you take a look at their current website you would weep at their stock list. Sadly, same with AE. They’re rapidly devaluing their shoes. I think internet trading and ignorant consumers are taking their toll.
I’ve just reread this post, sorry it’s a bit of a downer!

kilowatts

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hola Amigos:

Back in Mexico again. Didn’t bring the long wings this time but I still have the Speedo!

I have a nice pair of tassel suede loafers incoming and as the weather in BC is awful, a pair of rubber soled beater boots. I’ll post pics when I get back from Margaritaville.
Kilowatts

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:
I had a pair of British Army George Boots. Beautiful leather good fit etc and they came very lightly used but they had been “bulled”, in other words spit shined with a mirror gloss finish on the toes. Very well done but not for me. I used some acetone and gently removed it to the original finish. They are great for British army officers on horseback but for walking around, not so much.
Those McHale cap toes are simply awesome. If any one has any 11.5’s in any colour (color), I’ll take them.
Church’s used to be one of the best RTW shoes but if you take a look at their current website you would weep at their stock list. Sadly, same with AE. They’re rapidly devaluing their shoes. I think internet trading and ignorant consumers are taking their toll.
I’ve just reread this post, sorry it’s a bit of a downer!

kilowatts
That pair of McHales are 11.5E.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that - we know they discoed the MacNeil because ae ashley said so in the ae 2019 thread last month, but I hadn't heard that they dumped the McT, too... :(

that’s what they told me at the store and they have them on sale.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that’s what they told me at the store and they have them on sale.
Well, they would know better than me, that's for sure. And if that's the case, I'm with your brother; all things being equal, I like the look of the McTavish better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads