• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as we’re going down this rathole...

Laces:

Round or flat?
Waxed or unwaxed?
Color-match or color-contrast?
For me, it depends on context: for dressy oxfords, I like flat waxed; for dressy bluchers, I like round waxed; in either case, color-matched. For more casual shoes/boots, I like unwaxed, sometimes round, sometimes flat, and sometimes color-matched, sometimes color contrast.

The Apostle

Reaction score

Laces:

Round or flat?
Waxed or unwaxed?

I wish I had a solid answer for this. I use both round and flat. Almost always color matched. One exception is a pair of Navy AE Bainbridge I have. I switch between tan round laces and baby blue flat laces.

I also prefer medium sized laces. Not too thin and not too thick and LIGHTLY waxed. The super thin waxed laces always seem to be overwaxed.

The Apostle

Reaction score
Some laces I like.
  • AE Basic Glazed. These are lightly waxed.
  • j.fitzpatrick Flat waxed. Really nice laces and I'd suspect the same "sovereign grade" Kirby Allison sells.
    • Other decent choices which I like slightly less...
      • BB Brother Brother waxed from Amazon. (Comes in color packs)
      • Lorpops waxed from Amazon. (Comes in color packs)

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I send these off for consignment today, anybody wear a size 15, 15B, or 7.5?

I have two pair of AE and the Alden are 7.5.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B. A. Mason Velvet-eez LWB. These run a little wide, so the A-width is feeling sloppy today with dress socks. Should have grabbed something with more cushion. I find that the Executive Imperials are also a little extra roomy. Hadn’t worn them in a while and forgot. Perils of age.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hartt tassel loafers I got from @mariusscott. It’s embossed leather. These are really well made. Go Canadian shoe makers!
7CAAF510-B399-45F5-A387-B10D7DB6F325.jpeg
4DC50773-8333-4AD2-B53A-B1EEE5BA3D9B.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I send these off for consignment today, anybody wear a size 15, 15B, or 7.5?

I have two pair of AE and the Alden are 7.5.
I'm scared to say that I might wear a 7.5 (perhaps depending on the maker), but might suffer at the hand of my wife if I splurged on some Aldens. . .

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm scared to say that I might wear a 7.5 (perhaps depending on the maker), but might suffer at the hand of my wife if I splurged on some Aldens. . .

Shoot. I should have waited to send them. Keep an eye out on ebay. They will be listed by Spoo -- the seller name is balearic1 . I do have a made to order pair of Johnston Murphy Navy Tassel Loafers that are Navy and SUPER NICE.

On another topic:

I went to my local Allen Edmonds store a couple weeks ago. They had the MacNeil and McTavish on sale. Unfortunately, my local store didn't have my size. But, the sales clerk was able to locate a pair at another store. I went ahead and ordered them. The charge went through on January 10. How long does it typically take to get an order from another store? I had them shipped to the store -- it gives me an excuse to go back and see if they have anything else on sale! :)

It seems like 10-12 days is way too long.

@friendlygoz printed leather or not, those are great looking loafers! I have a pair of Johnston Murphy that are similar but they are lizard (real not printed). They are pretty light colored and I wish they were darker.

Anyone ever tried to dye an exotic skin?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Laces:

Round or flat?
Waxed or unwaxed?
In my neck of the woods, I have four choices: black plain, black "waxed," brown plain, and brown "waxed." The waxed laces aren't really waxy like a proper dress lace, and they're nearly as fat as a boot lace. Oh, and they all come 36" long, though on occasion I've found some at 27" and 30".

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this pair again. Still my favourite vintage pair owned by another thread member.
Thanks. I love them. Pretty sure they change color as I wear them. The colors get deeper. The leather feels like CXL

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair of new shoes for the new year. These are kinda rare. But need new soles.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freeman Strands today. Coincidentally, a consultant I met with today was wearing AE Strands. #shoebros4life

IMG_20200122_085820.jpg
IMG_20200122_093134.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have added another pair of gunboats to my flotilla of John McHale signature shoes; a pair of black cap-toe bluchers on the "Bomber" last (stealth bombers?). They each weigh in at slightly over 2lbs. Surprisingly the black version of this shoe is much more rare than the brown version.

These shoes were made with wonderful leather. With a little effort I think I could get a really nice shine on these. The attached advert is from 1944 and is the earliest reference I can find to the "Bomber". They were in continuous production through to the 80's.

IMG_3429.jpg
IMG_3430.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg

1944 McHale Bomber.JPG

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have added another pair gunboats to my flotilla of John McHale signature shoes; a pair of black cap-toe bluchers on the "Bomber" last (stealth bombers?). The each weigh in at slightly over 2lbs. Surprisingly the black version of this shoe is much more rare than the brown version. These shoes were made with wonderful leather. With a little effort I think I could get a really nice shine on these.

View attachment 1322465 View attachment 1322466 View attachment 1322467

If you ever find a pair in my size...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads