• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, for years I had an eBay account. A couple years back, eBay deleted it due to inactivity. Let's ignore for a moment that I logged in frequently, and was watching several items. So when I decided to start flipping vintage shoes, I needed to start a new account.

My wife, who has been selling on eBay for the last 20 years, argued that many buyers wouldn't want to buy from a seller without any feedback. So she recommended that I make some purchases to get my score up. I'm not one to argue. So I kinda impulsively bought these.

Do I need steel toed wingtips? Of course not. But at $14.99 with free shipping, it would be silly not to buy them. Right?

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Breaking in another NOS Florsheim Royal Imperial since I had dyed the others dark brown and green.

0119200926.jpg
0119200927.jpg
0119201235a.jpg
0119201235b.jpg

I think I want a blue dyed one too.

happypebble

Reaction score
This is the decidedly non vintage Thom McAns I mentioned above. Comfortable, fit good, but they'll never look great because they're scuffed and the color is uneven and blotchy. Thus, I've decided to use them as an experimental pair. If I decide to try and strip them, how many coats of chemical would I need to use before whatever's on the shoes now is gone?
loo

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the decidedly non vintage Thom McAns I mentioned above. Comfortable, fit good, but they'll never look great because they're scuffed and the color is uneven and blotchy. Thus, I've decided to use them as an experimental pair. If I decide to try and strip them, how many coats of chemical would I need to use before whatever's on the shoes now is gone? View attachment 1320641 View attachment 1320642 View attachment 1320643 loo
I would be a little concerned that that leather on those is not nice enough to survive some of the more intensive stripping treatments we see here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the decidedly non vintage Thom McAns I mentioned above. Comfortable, fit good, but they'll never look great because they're scuffed and the color is uneven and blotchy. Thus, I've decided to use them as an experimental pair. If I decide to try and strip them, how many coats of chemical would I need to use before whatever's on the shoes now is gone? View attachment 1320641 View attachment 1320642 View attachment 1320643 loo

very difficult to say. The darker color may never lighten up, which is why it is easier to make them darker overall than it is to lighten up on shoe.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual, the answer is to be found at vcleat.com. I looked on Ebay for shoes listed as "Sanitized" and noticed that a lot of them were also marked "Towncraft". @davidVC has a post entitled Vintage Made in US Brands and under Towncraft I see:

Towncraft – JC Penney brand. Primarily made by Hanover

You can bet I'll be listing these as Hanover, not JC Penney.

Funny that you mention Towncraft. I have a pair of vintage Towncraft that were made by Hanover back when they were making good shoes. They are well made.

I decided to experiment a little. I wanted to patina/antique these. But, as I mentioned last week, I was going to try doing a two tone.

Here they are before:

89F2E285-CCA9-4BB0-973B-737DB8C46138.jpeg
74539C97-FB44-4835-B5B7-E6C31CD3B707.jpeg

They were slightly too orange for me. But, I did like them because they were a little different. How many more brown, black or Cordovan do I really need (don’t answer that, I still need more). But, I did want something different.

So, here is my end result:

95836FA1-A28D-4BEA-8E4B-FA8BB1F22E41.jpeg
73F90E38-5386-410C-9C5F-67935CE9B052.jpeg

I might write up the process with progress pictures later on.

What do you all think?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny that you mention Towncraft. I have a pair of vintage Towncraft that were made by Hanover back when they were making good shoes. They are well made.

I decided to experiment a little. I wanted to patina/antique these. But, as I mentioned last week, I was going to try doing a two tone.

Here they are before:

View attachment 1320883 View attachment 1320884

They were slightly too orange for me. But, I did like them because they were a little different. How many more brown, black or Cordovan do I really need (don’t answer that, I still need more). But, I did want something different.

View attachment 1320886 View attachment 1320887

What do you all think?
They look cool - more like spectators.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here they are before:

What do you all think?
I dig 'em.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here they are before:

What do you all think?
I like it, and would be interested in reading about, and seeing pics of, the process.

lemmy127

Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These mid 80's Dack's 10 B Bond Street long-wings just arrived, still cold from their journey. From the early 1950's on, Bond Streets were Dack's made in England entry level offerings. By the mid 80's, due to the diminution of quality of most of Dack's Canadian made shoes (not all), these bison leather Bond Streets are near the top of the heap in terms desirability. They are easily among my favourite from this era, along with some of the Canadian made camel, water bison and seal leather shoes. Hartt sold virtually the same shoe branded as the Gold Bond. A few of these Bond Street and Gold Bond bison long-wings were also made in Canada, although they are rare. They can be distinguished by their Canadian style coding and a made in Canada stamp on the sole. The advert is from 1986.

IMG_3419.jpg
IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3422.jpg
1986 Bond Street Long-wing.JPG

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These mid 80's Dack's 10 B Bond Street long-wings just arrived, still cold from their journey. From the early 1950's on, Bond Streets were Dack's made in England entry level offerings. By the mid 80's, due to the diminution of quality of most of Dack's Canadian made shoes (not all), these bison leather Bond Streets are near the top of the heap in terms desirability. They are easily among my favourite from this era, along with some of the Canadian made camel, water bison and seal leather shoes. Hartt sold virtually the same shoe branded as the Gold Bond. A few of these Bond Street and Gold Bond bison long-wings were also made in Canada, although they are rare. They can be distinguished by their Canadian style coding and a made in Canada stamp on the sole. The advert is from 1986.

View attachment 1321031 View attachment 1321032 View attachment 1321034 View attachment 1321035

Oh hell yes! I am all about the LWBs and that is a super find. So super jelly right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads