• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few subjects:

Im thinking about sending a couple AE in for Recrafting. I have tried a couple of recommended cobblers for resole/resto on Alden and a few others. I Remember years ago I had a local cobbler. He would do a whole replacement sole and heels. And it was about 90 bucks. that was years ago. It seems like every place I have checked for Recrafting or restoration, it is around $130-$175. With most about $150

I was surprised that Allen Edmonds prestige package still $155 And that includes new bags and shoe trees. Seems like that would be pretty hard to beat.

Has anyone ever tried the $50 refinishing service? I’m wondering if it is just a really good clean and shine?

New subject: I think the group wisdom on cracking leather is there is pretty much not much to do. I bought a pair of Aldens shoes n eBay and the previous owner must not have treated them. The creasing turned into cracking. I should have taken some pictures.
but once the leather has been stressed and dried out that much isn’t it just a matter of time?

Finally, somebody who can wear an 11 D in Alden Barrie last, needs to buy these.

they are spectacular shell Cordovan saddle shoes. I bought them thinking I could lease them up tight enough to fit my narrow foot. But I forgot how wide the Barrie last is.

They keep tempting me. But they have only been worn a couple of times I would hate to put additional wear on them when I know I don’t work for me.

$350 shipped. Or make me a reasonable offer. If I can’t sell them, I’m putting them on eBay for $475 or best offer.

View attachment 1316193 View attachment 1316194 View attachment 1316195 View attachment 1316196 View attachment 1316197
I sent in a pair of AEs a few years ago to be recrafted. I didn't know what to expect back then; looking at them now, I should've sent them back -- the leather was wrinkled at the welt in a few places, the sole was cut smaller than the welt in a few spots, and the rubber heel wasn't well glued on the back edge on one of the shoes so it catches on the carpet in my office. It is almost time for another resole, so I might give them another chance.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy.
CF1CAD5A-F0EB-4664-BEA5-B72CCCEC6E29.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharkskin Monday? Can we make that a thing? Nah... it is neither alliterative nor does it rhyme. Oh well. I wore my AE shark Nassaus today. Enjoy it.
FDD6F116-9492-4BF9-B8AD-95B6E49921D0.jpeg
E7669FAE-97BC-4EE4-B663-E921CEC5159B.jpeg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. I don't know how you do it. Actually, I do know how you do it. What I don't know is why i am unable to do it. Great score (as usual).
:bigstar:
Best thing, is I’m in Monterey on business and got here a little early with time to thrift. Celebrating with some fish tacos in a local favorite taqueria across the street.
fullsizeoutput_2652.jpeg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys live to find this stuff? Everytime I walk into a "thrift" type store I see total nonsense, and feel like taking an acid bath immediately upon walking out.

Lots of patience, luck, and persistence required.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrifted these Florsheim PTB Imperials yesterday and I noticed that they have a significant curl to them. The toe is one inch higher than the ball. This morning I tried VCleat David's wet paper towel on a shoe tree trick. The paper towel is dry now, and the curl hasn't gotten better. Should I do the wet paper towel trick again or are we looking at a full immersion and drying process with these?

M.Photog

Reaction score
Isn’t the pattern more like this?
View attachment 1316078
I had a pair of elephant boots 20 years ago that looked like yours.
My wife bought me these Tony Lama Elephant boots for Christmas in about 1983. I still have her and I still have the boots. ;)
I have a few other boots but rarely wear them. I don't believe Tony Lama boots are nearly as well made as they used to be. I have a pair of Rios of Mercedes that are much better boots.

Attachments

• BF650E5B-65F0-4665-BCFF-98D98ED9400B.jpeg
    BF650E5B-65F0-4665-BCFF-98D98ED9400B.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

actionjbone

Reaction score
I thrifted these Florsheim PTB Imperials yesterday and I noticed that they have a significant curl to them. The toe is one inch higher than the ball. This morning I tried VCleat David's wet paper towel on a shoe tree trick. The paper towel is dry now, and the curl hasn't gotten better. Should I do the wet paper towel trick again or are we looking at a full immersion and drying process with these?
View attachment 1316419

View attachment 1316420

View attachment 1316421
The paper towel trick only helps reduce creasing in the vamp.

Because the whole thing is misshapen, dunking is your best bet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads