1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. right_hook

right_hook Well-Known Member

Just add some Tuscan vine and those shoes will qualify :)

2. mormonopoly

mormonopoly Senior Member

Looks more like a bison type leather.

3. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

They look like my Bison Florsheim LWB and don't look like my sharskin shortwings at all.

4. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

I have 5 pair (I think) of shoes made in Italy. 2 Pair of Cole Haan, 2 pair of Bragano, and this pair. Of course, these represent at least one of the Brands that many people think of when they think of Italy.

Here are my Gucci Horsebit Loafers. I believe these are from the 80's. They have not been treated with kid gloves. They have been worn and loved. Consequently, they have a few bumps and bruises. I used to think that Gucci shoes were all about the name and were not really high quality. But, these have stood up to heavy use. The leather is so smooth, but also quite rigid in terms of structure (in a good way).

We had some surprise snow this morning in Kansas. So, these might not have been the best shoes to wear. They got a little grungy in just the short walk from the car to the office.

IMG_3753.jpg IMG_3754.jpg IMG_3755.jpg

5. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Senior Member

I believe AE employs a number of Italian-Americans so you should be fine.
    And in New Jersey, it's not called sauce, it's gravy. (Do not ask me why, my family is from Germany)

6. Nick V.

Nick V. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I've lived in Northern Jersey for over 50 years. Still can about 60 jars of Jersey tomatoes every year. Speaking from a Sicilian American's standpoint, gravy on spaghetti? NOOOOOO!!
    It's sauce! Even Bolognese is a "sauce". Gravy is for the guys from Brooklyn and Staten Island!!!!!

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Seems advertisers think Sicilians use the term gravy and others go with sauce. Not being from Jersey, I go with sauce. Gravy (cream of course) is for chicken fried steaks.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.24.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.23.24 AM.png

8. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

I opted to skip today. One pair of Ferragamo monkstraps with a square toe that I've had for 15 years that haven't been brushed, conditioned or polished in 10 years. And one pair of butter soft half-boots from a reasonably well known maker. Neither one worked with the suit I'm wearing today for an Emergency Operations Center drill we're doing today.

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Could be....
    I don't think you'll find many Sicilians buying that stuff though, HaHa!

10. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Senior Member

I was just stirring the pot (see what I did there? Stop your groaning, file your pun complaints with the FCC)

I have never understood the whole gravy/sauce controversy but you should hear it when the old Trenton Italian families get into it with the boys from south Philly. Some say it depends on if it is a meat sauce. Others swear it is only sauce and to say otherwise will lead to something physical.
    I just know it gives me heartburn.

11. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

I need advise from the experts in this thread. So, got these Florsheim Royal Imperial PTBs from shopGoodwill. I love the hand stained look, with the raised grain slightly darker than the unraised grain. They are in great shape. I was very keen to reveal the white contrast stitching in the welt, and so I cleaned the welt with a toothbrush and saddle soap. Mission accomplished on that front. The white sticking is stunning and structurally intact. HOWEVER, when wiping off the saddle soap, I didn’t realize I was wiping off the hand stained brown look that I love so much. So, what I ended up with is what you see in the pix. I tried some medium brown Saphir cream polish, but it just darkened everything, so I wiped it off. I’m going to go over it w/ Saphir light brown cream polish first and see if I can get some color back. Any advice? I’m kicking myself for not being more careful... IMG_3495.jpeg

12. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

I would suggest water bison.

13. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

There is only one remedy. Both of you must buy Italian made shoes. Pronto.

14. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I really enjoy Caribbean cuisine, and especially the Jamaican variety.

They definitely use the word "gravy" to mean "sauce."

15. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

I have no italian shoes. I used to have some italian made motorcycle racing boots for the mosh pits. I also dated some italian girls in high school. One had a family recipe for a lobster marinara that I would trade a child for. They would share the sauce but not the recipe.
    I associate italy with red wine. So I wore some red shoes. They were virgins, but I am not overly impressed with them. Just practicing for next weeks sacrifice with a pair I like very much. I think I will have some Sangiovese tonight.
    Cheers
    20181108_091857.jpg