• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LLEE

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found a pair of old longwings at a thrift store today, and I'm trying to figure out if they're something cool or not:
View attachment 1055088

Here's a few more pictures. They're shell, right? The brand is Nunn Bush, and I don't know a ton about vintage shoes, but these seem a lot nicer than what I typically associate with Nunn Bush today. They have the slogan "ankle-fashioned" on them, which google tells me they were using in the 50s and 60s. They've got a Cat's Paw heel, but I don't know if it's original.

Does anyone know anything about these?
I know you have a beautiful pair of shell Long wings. Every example I’ve seen of old NB has been very nice, and your pair look really clean.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found a pair of old longwings at a thrift store today, and I'm trying to figure out if they're something cool or not:
View attachment 1055088

Here's a few more pictures. They're shell, right? The brand is Nunn Bush, and I don't know a ton about vintage shoes, but these seem a lot nicer than what I typically associate with Nunn Bush today. They have the slogan "ankle-fashioned" on them, which google tells me they were using in the 50s and 60s. They've got a Cat's Paw heel, but I don't know if it's original.

Those are shell, and they are really, really nice. Wipe them with a wet cloth, let dry, put some Bick 4/Renovatour on them, and then, if necessary, some cordovan cream (it HAS to be specially made for Shell. Allen Edmonds makes some that works well). Then, brush them like crazy. Great find. I'm still waiting for my Eureka thrift store moment.

Steppin'Out

Reaction score
So, I got them home cleaned and conditioned, but they really didn’t take much.

Tried them on with a shoe horn (instead of trying to force them in the thrift store), my absolute wonder when they fit! Half a size too small, but actually fit fine.

They’ll have their first run out in the wild tomorrow, paired with my brown DB suit. Thrilled!

940708C7-6E45-4480-8FD1-94B626806493.jpeg

B2BC3560-1E87-47A6-8A76-428872A197FA.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1055088

Amazing find. These look like shell cordovan to me.

@instigateur has a vintage pair of NB. He might know more.

And welcome to the thread.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who was looking for some (Marilyn Monroe approved) City Club 1940s spades? City Club Captoes.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1055088

Glad to see you in the thread! @davidVC might be able to give you some info. More pix, model #, etc. would help.

Those look terrific! As others have said, get some Bick 4 and slap two or three really good passes on there with a day or so in between to really hydrate the shell - sometimes it's hard to tell if shell is dry. Then some cordovan cream (agree the AE stuff for shell is good. I use Saphir) and brush. A lot.

You've got a lifetime pair of shoes - congrats!

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1055088

Beautiful and I agree they are shell.

Your age estimate seems right. Really clean pair. You don't see a lot of NB on this thread. Thanks for posting.

Here are my NB.

1010180849b~2.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell AE MacNeils today. Not vintage, but a classic style nonetheless. I liked the image.

View attachment 1054915

I love Shell Cordovan #8 and black Shell. BUT, there is something very special in my mind about the other colors of Shell, whether its brown, or Natural, or #4, or #2, or Green, or Navy, or Ravello, Cigar, etc. VERY nice shoes!

View attachment 1055088

Wondering if they are something cool? Uh yeah. Very much so. Sturdy 50's-60's Longwings are something cool. THEN, if you add in the fact that they are Nunn Bush (which is pretty unusual to find in this vintage and this quality) AND they are shell cordovan. YES! Indeed they are something cool. Something MUCH better than cool.

Speaking of Shell, here are my Barrie Shell Tassels in the wild this morning:

IMG_3674.jpg

The gentle rays of the rising sun always makes these look so much better.

Unfortunately, the harsh light of the Florescent lights in the office don't reflect the real beauty of vintage shell.

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

Last edited:

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1055088

Those are a very nice example of some nice looking shell longwings. I really like the toe medallion on them. Fantastic find on your part!

For me today - I don't think they technically qualify fully as vintage, but a classic style and everyone else is contributing their shell, so thought I would drop my contribution today. Shell Leeds - classic PTBs. Have a good one gentlemen!
20181018_073240-jpg.1055212

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you in the thread! @davidVC might be able to give you some info. More pix, model #, etc. would help.

Those look terrific! As others have said, get some Bick 4 and slap two or three really good passes on there with a day or so in between to really hydrate the shell - sometimes it's hard to tell if shell is dry. Then some cordovan cream (agree the AE stuff for shell is good. I use Saphir) and brush. A lot.

You've got a lifetime pair of shoes - congrats!

Agree with all the advice.

They were likely made in the early 1960s based on the construction. Nunn Bush didn't make many/any long wings in the 1950s according to old catalogs.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe Appreciation this morning has been mesmerizing. Just phenomenal.

My fix for the day is good.

I mean, if anyone wants to post MORE...... no complaints from me.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a shoe store yesterday where they have actual professional sales people that know what they are doing. Measured my foot on the Brannock and offered some suggestions and advice. Right foot measured between 11-11.5 and slightly narrower than a D width. LEFT foot measured 11.5 and on the narrow side of C width but not quite as narrow as B. He also said I have a "long arch." I am guessing what he meant was that it is a relatively high arch since not there is a longer distance than normal between where the balls of the foot and the heel touch.

I'm wondering if the high arch is the real reason that narrow shoes are more comfortable for me. He said I was only slightly narrow and could wear a medium width. But, those are usually TOO wide. So, perhaps it feels more comfortable because the side of the shoes might fit tighter, but they also support the arch and therefore feel more comfortable.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are a very nice example of some nice looking shell longwings. I really like the toe medallion on them. Fantastic find on your part!

For me today - I don't think they technically qualify fully as vintage, but a classic style and everyone else is contributing their shell, so thought I would drop my contribution today. Shell Leeds - classic PTBs. Have a good one gentlemen!
20181018_073240-jpg.1055212

Now I really have to get a pair of black PTB shell.

Thankfully @JohnAAG secured an oxblood pair for me. Man, this is overload.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe Appreciation this morning has been mesmerizing. Just phenomenal.

My fix for the day is good.

I mean, if anyone wants to post MORE...... no complaints from me.

@suitforcourt how about a little something different to satisfy your fix. I had these under my desk from the last time I wore them. They are not shell. But, they are one of my favorite pairs of non-shell shoes.

Vintage Made In Italy Bragano woven tassel loafers made with premium english calf.

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1055088

Sure look like shell from here.
Do them a favor and put some shoe trees in them.
Wipe with damp rag, brush, Bick4, brush, Venetian Shoe Cream and brush, in that order. If you want more luster, Cordovan Cream (Allen Edmond's #8) can be added last but wait to see how you like them after you moisturize them and brush the hell out of them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads