• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like what you did with the edges. Did you put some edge dressing on there?
Thanks - I think it is a fun way to really change the look of the shoes that is relatively easy and inexpensive. For the edges I sanded them down using various grit of sandpaper - starting with a coarse grit and then working up to a finer grit (I think I started with an 80 grit -> 180 grit -> and finished off with a 400 grit if I recall correctly). I have used the Allen Edmonds edge dressing on other shoes I have done this to, but wanted a more natural look for these so used a couple light coats of brown shoe polish (wax) on them after I sanded them down. I have a couple examples of my experience spoilered below.

AE Natural edge dressing followed by coat of neutral shoe polish:
20180727_190720-jpg.1010393

AE Chili Edge dressing followed by coat of neutral shoe polish:
20180805_134827-jpg.1014622

Brown shoe polish and no edge dressing:

The pair I am wearing today (pic from a previous post I did this weekend)
20181014_112815-jpg.1052882

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I think it is a fun way to really change the look of the shoes that is relatively easy and inexpensive. For the edges I sanded them down using various grit of sandpaper - starting with a coarse grit and then working up to a finer grit (I think I started with an 80 grit -> 180 grit -> and finished off with a 400 grit if I recall correctly). I have used the Allen Edmonds edge dressing on other shoes I have done this to, but wanted a more natural look for these so used a couple light coats of brown shoe polish (wax) on them after I sanded them down. I have a couple examples of my experience spoilered below.

Nice. Thanks for sharing. You inspired me to do this on my 93604s, and I may try it on my shell MacNeils to set them apart a bit more from shell 93605s. I use Fiebings edge dressing. I found that letting the edge dressing dry and then rubbing it with a wet rag gives it a nice, even finish. I then put some neutral polish. I'll share some pix if/when I make the move on other shoes. Thanks!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Dr. Scholl’s today. I love the shoes, but not sure I love them with suits. Feel more informal so may have to relegate to khakis and jeans duty.

View attachment 1054194 View attachment 1054195 View attachment 1054196
They certainly don’t appear informal to me? They’re very unconventional though; 7 eyelet pseudo-blucher derby, that’s a half-brogued medallion cap toe. That’s just not something you see every day. Last wise, they’re nicely shaped; not overly chunky or super-tapered, I think they are a fine shoe for pairing with a lighter colored suit (as you’ve done). That and they’re just cool and different.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning! Project boots are done. When I got them ... View attachment 1054069

Uppers were in near perfect condition, but the leather was dull and didn't have much character. Edges needed work.

Now (puppy photo bomb!) ...
View attachment 1054071
View attachment 1054070
I wanted them to appear a little rugged so I just used the Pure cleaner conditoner and dark brown cream polish, not the wax, to keep the shine down. Sanded the edges and treated them with the Pure conditoner and then 2 coats of the neutral wax.

Help deciding laces? The boot on the right has the same lace in both pics
View attachment 1054068
View attachment 1054072

Have an amazing day!
John
Those boots are fantastic,all the laces look good with them. Love the split toe. Great job on those! And belatedly,congratulations on the fine job in the revival challenge- those were my favorite pair in an incredible set of entries!

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the inspiration! I was thinking of testing this out on a pair of black Florsheim LWBs and was hesitant to just use black edge dressing. Many thanks!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to 5 thrift stores today. Walked away with the following:

1. Disappointment;
2. Memories of square toe and glued monstrosities;
3. A pathetic report for this group.

I seek your indulgence and forgiveness.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As we already know from his a bit hidden but still aggressive advertising, having Suitforcourt on your side you can afford a lot more than likening posts in the web. Some dick swinging in real life, maybe. Anyone? :)

No one from this group would qualify for my services as I work for a legal aid organization.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They certainly don’t appear informal to me? They’re very unconventional though; 7 eyelet pseudo-blucher derby, that’s a half-brogued medallion cap toe. That’s just not something you see every day. Last wise, they’re nicely shaped; not overly chunky or super-tapered, I think they are a fine shoe for pairing with a lighter colored suit (as you’ve done). That and they’re just cool and different.

Maybe it’s just the fuller cut of this suit that makes them seem odd. I’ll try again with something more slim cut.

And the leather on these is amazing. I love these because they’re different; the fact that the construction is top-notch is just a bonus.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just the fuller cut of this suit that makes them seem odd. I’ll try again with something more slim cut.

And the leather on these is amazing. I love these because they’re different; the fact that the construction is top-notch is just a bonus.
I think it’s probably just a perception thing. Try this: have someone else take a video of you wearing those shoes with the suit you think they look odd with. I think you’ll find that from a distance, and different vantage points, you won’t think they’re odd looking.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to 5 thrift stores today. Walked away with the following:

1. Disappointment;
2. Memories of square toe and glued monstrosities;
3. A pathetic report for this group.

I seek your indulgence and forgiveness.
I’ll do better than that, i’ll commiserate: I was surrounded by stuff like this all day:
s-l1000.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so your browsing Etsy for that elusive “not crap” listing when you come across these AE’s:
il_fullxfull.1256294785_q1mb.jpg

Okay, not horrible...
il_fullxfull.1256294793_br0x.jpg

Little over polished and dry looking, but nothing too terrible... until...

Eeewwwwwww... yuck!
il_fullxfull.1209067676_r08k.jpg

What is that? How did they get this way? What happened?!

They don’t even have that much wear... they’re still on their original soles and heels?!
il_fullxfull.1256294809_163v.jpg

What happened?

I think the sellers $109 asking price is a tad unrealistic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads