• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new project pair this morning for $1.20
View attachment 1053187
Well used, but no cracks or deep scratches.

Mystery maker. Anyone have any ideas? This is all that's left on the insoles
View attachment 1053189
View attachment 1053190

And the codes:
View attachment 1053188

They do have some interesting Cat's Paw Microlite frankensole action happening
View attachment 1053192
Enjoy your evening!
I really like those: they’re survivors. They weren’t some pair of spectators or special occasion shoes with a half dozen wears, or a long-lost NOS pair. No, those things got worn and used. Yet they’ve survived (and I’m going to guess at least 40+ years) because they were legit made to last.

I’ve got a couple of pairs like that, and they’re among my favorite because they have personality. Those are the best project shoes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also picked up a project pair today. It was the slight spade shape of the sole that drew my attention.
View attachment 1053329 View attachment 1053330 View attachment 1053331
I’m so glad you bought those!!!
I was going to buy them, but recent acquisitions and concerns regarding spousal customs prevented me from setting up the snipe (I was going to put it at 25... how far were you going to bid, cause I saw you got’em for 15?).

I was worried that a genuine piece of bench-made history would end up a prom shoe or something. Edwin Clapp was probably the finest shoemaker in America, so those, even in that condition, are something really special.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy them, but recent acquisitions and concerns regarding spousal customs prevented me from setting up the snipe (I was going to put it at 25... how far were you going to bid, cause I saw you got’em for 15?).

I was worried that a genuine piece of bench-made history would end up a prom shoe or something. Edwin Clapp was probably the finest shoemaker in America, so those, even in that condition, are something really special.
I really didn’t “need” them. For $15 though, I couldn’t pass them up.
The heel has some wear, and I’m not a fan of slippery v-cleats. If they fit well, I’ll probably look at getting those replaced.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd dump the criss cross lacing. Not a good look IMO. Straight lacing will allow the lacing to be pulled tighter together.
I'd respectfully disagree. I find bar lacing a little strange on boots and almost any non-bal shoe.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would have been the coolest kid at the prom. I bet the shoes would have made him a better dancer.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's top stuff you have there. I bought a NOS pair once. The mild spade and the construction (hand lasted) etc = Beautiful.

After a big drink straight to Mr Topy.

Dude, Edwin Clapp makes super duper high quality shoes. Nice find!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really didn’t “need” them. For $15 though, I couldn’t pass them up.
The heel has some wear, and I’m not a fan of slippery v-cleats. If they fit well, I’ll probably look at getting those replaced.
If they don’t fit well, let me know and I’d be happy to buy them off you (even at a markup + costs [heels, etc.] if you do restoration work on them - actually, especially if you do the restoration work as I trust your skills, with such a pair, more than mine).

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 1950s style pair of shoes popped up on ebay today. Unusual that they have a UVa stamp in them. University colors.

https://ebay.to/2OtKRcs

$_57.JPG

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, Edwin Clapp made some of the very best shoes.
They were probably the best shoemaker in America. We’re talking hand lasted
Those are definitely early 50s. I have the same pair in white buck instead of ventilated nylon. The trick for the rear tears is to get your cobbler to install a strip inside the achilles around 1/2 wide which is glued in. Then overstitch on the outside where the existing edge stitching is so the new reinforcement stitching hides invisibly amongst the existing edge stitching. French Shriner & Urner is the guarantee of a great shoe.

Yup, and the key is the “Urner”. Things seemed to go downhill very shortly after the Urner got dropped.

One of the things I’ve been doing, since I have “access”, is I’ve been looking through the Esquire archive. Now Esquire has always been dreck (I can assure you, having gone through 5 decades of archives). But the advertising, especially the shoe ads from the late 30’s through the early 60’s, are priceless.

One interesting thing is there is a clear price-point stratification that’s much more pronounced than today. Using ~1953 as an example, shoes were in the 8+, 16+ and 25+ dollar price points. AE, French Shriner & Urner, and top-end Florsheim were in that 25 dollars and up range. Regular Florsheim, Weyenberg, etc., were around the 16 and up dollar point. At the bottom were a bunch of shoes we rarely find examples of, with names like City Club. I love the absolutely tactless style of advertising they used (from 1952):
SWErr1e.jpg

Why is she dressed that way? That’s impractical in the extreme, especially if branding cattle at the farm. What does it have to do with shoes? Oh, I get it... best “brand”. Talk about using completely tangential, non-contextualized sex to sell something. I’m sure a lot young men looked at this ad just because “girl!”. Awesome.

Oh, and for @Shoonoob, not sure it’s the same shoe (last and stuff), but here’s an ad from ‘51 featuring the “Heather”:
VrUAFOK.jpg

It’s pretty amusing that they talk about their prices being comfortable, given they were at the top-end of the advertised pricing structure (though, in this ad, I guess they thought it incongruent to list the price).

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 1950s style pair of shoes popped up on ebay today. Unusual that they have a UVa stamp in them. University colors.

https://ebay.to/2OtKRcs

$_57.JPG
Those are pretty damn nice. If these were 12D, they'd be MUCH closer to getting me off the sidelines, though he'd have to accept an offer...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SWErr1e.jpg

Why is she dressed that way? That’s impractical in the extreme, especially if branding cattle at the farm. What does it have to do with shoes? Oh, I get it... best “brand”. Talk about using completely tangential, non-contextualized sex to sell something. I’m sure a lot young men looked at this ad just because “girl!”. Awesome.
Pretty racy for the day, too (it seems like)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty racy for the day, too (it seems like)
You’d be surprised. They had a whole spread in one mid-50’s issue where they were playing the whole “body paint is art/clothes/not-really-nude game” that SI play nowadays. Hell even some of the 30’s and 40’s stuff was way more suggestive than I’d have thought possible. Guys have always been guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads