1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

Good morning Gents! I was still curious about the odd style # on my black shell cordovan PTBs. We determined post 1973 due to the inset v-cleat. Any reason for the different style code? Thanks!
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg

2. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

3. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

4. mariusscott

mariusscott Well-Known Member

5. mariusscott

mariusscott Well-Known Member

generally speaking online when someone has best offer im already hesitant, and when they say the AE's were $777 new they will say, what about $400, seems fair! I dont think they are anything special. As for the white Miami Vice specials...im pretty sure those would be bad karma for whoever touched them. That being said...suitforcourt...your kijiji skills as always are at a Jedi level

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The AE pair are part of the first release of the Independence collection. at that time new they were in the mid $400 range. They were never $700 shoes.

7. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

Opened that "box of stuff saved from back in the day" and rediscovered the greatest footwear ever created by man. Well not really but they are the most unique things I have ever owned and they qualify as vintage now!
    The history of a shoe:
    From 1985 to 1990 I was in full rebel mode vacillating between punk, rockabilly, industrial, and new wave. I loved The Sex Pistols, Eddie Cochran, INXS, Front242, MDC, and Morrissey equally. My early footwear was combat boots from the local army surplus and Dan Gable signature wrestling shoes.
    In '86 I went full Elvis growing out a pompadour and dying it jet black. The creepers were added to the collection.
    images (1).jpeg
    This is why I love of the spectators.

I spent a great deal of time stomping around the north side of Chicago at that time and in 1987 I discovered these crazy red boots at Wax Trax records.
    868d6a2f-b7cd-41b6-8e47-2666813c4536.jpg
    They became the daily drivers for the better part of a decade and I wore out three pairs. I find it amusing both my daughters purchased mi China versions of these at Nordstroms and wore them to high school.

Then in '87 I was walking through Lincoln Mall. Somewhere between Chess King and Contempo Casuals was the Wild Pair shoe store with a fabulous window display of trendy black leather footwear. I stopped. What are those ?They look like pirate boots? They ARE pirate boots! I must have them.
    I saved up my $3.35 cents an hour from my convenient store job for weeks. SUCCESS they still have them in my size. (Perhaps the only pair they ever sold)
    I believe they were made in Brazil. They saw two school dances, many nights of club hopping, many concerts and hundreds of miles of walking. I did not take care of them. I was unaware of shoe care.
    They were retired in 1990 or 1991. I was 45lbs lighter and a true 9.5D. I think I put them in the box with the picture from the homecoming dance. Nothing else makes sense.
    Shockingly the leather is still pliable and I did not destroy them by shoving my fat feet inside.
    20181006_115457.jpg 20181006_115406.jpg 20181006_120637.jpg 20181006_120548.jpg
    Sort of South American cowboy boots with long ribbons of leather in place of the shaft. It took me hours of experimenting to figure out how to wrap and tie them correctly.
    The moral of the story: Even goofball mall shoes from 30 years ago were made pretty well.
    Now back in the box they will go after some conditioning. Perhaps one day I will have a grandchild that wants to be a pirate for Halloween.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

8. Thrift Couture

giphy.gif

9. Thrift Couture

Wow! I remember Wax Trax. I think my first pair of Doc Martens came from The Alley, if it wasn't Wax Trax.

10. wasmisterfu

I kinda missed the whole 777 bucks thing, because I went right for the pictures. IMHO, it’s not a winning tactic to say “you best not try to go cheap with me” when listing an auction. It’s especially bad when you’re delusional about what it is you’re selling. It’s triple bad when you combine all of that with Don Johnson’s old shoes.

11. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Senior Member

My latest project shoes. Some shell 97626 from 1999 that never met a pair of shoe trees. Time for some spa treatments!
    fullsizeoutput_1570.jpeg

12. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Well-Known Member

Paid $87 for Jeffersons and they were practically new. Paid $165 for the Bartletts and they were even newer. Got them both on eBay. Check out seller dabondo1. Often accepts offers way below - like 50% - list price. Great seller. Sorry for the non-vintage talk here. Wash my mouth with soap!

13. wasmisterfu

Dude, those are like actual pirate boots and stuff. I’m pretty sure David Bowie had a pair just like those. They’re badass.

14. wasmisterfu

Sure they’re not from 89?

15. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Senior Member

The Sage of Seattle, the Lord High Priest of Longwings who leads our motley crew of shoe aficionados, once described them as a 90's vintage shoe. And they have the Royal Imperial rebadging in them, so I'm of the opinion that it's canonical.
    Florsheim Royal Imperial 97626 – LWB – Brown
    Frequency: Common
    Note: The KENMOOR. 1990s model and nearly identical to the 93605.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018