1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. flipstah

flipstah Distinguished Member

Indeed they are. Great commuting shoe.

I want these to last so might get topsole on these.

2. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

WOW! @JohnAAG this is a fantastic write-up. I am going to save this and try it.

I have a pair of Alden Full Strap loafers that I bought on ebay. The seller did not disclose the cracking but they were pretty cheap (for Alden), so I decided to keep them. I am going to try this and see how it goes! Thanks for writing this up and for all your trial and error work!

3. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Check out @JohnAAG 's revival challenge pair. Nothing short of a miracle.

4. Nobleprofessor

5. instigateur

instigateur Distinguished Member

Walnut LWB NB!

All my vintage shoes are equal, but some are more equal.

0921180836~2.jpg

6. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

What brand? The colour looks great. I appreciate the lighter tone.

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My EEE size limits the range of available vintage shoes, so its time to pull out my trusty Florsheims today. 93602 in the sun and indoors.

IMG_3634.jpg IMG_3637.JPG

8. Nobleprofessor

I decided to wear a pair I haven't worn in a while. I have several pair of tassel loafers in black calf and a few in #8 shell cordovan. These are very made well. They are vintage Johnston Murphy back when they were still quality shoes. With the squarish toe, they are not quite as elegant as my others. But, it is nice to remember J&M used to make good shoes (some still are decent).

IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg

9. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

Here are the $2 Allen Edmonds Park Avenues I rescued from the big blue bins at the Goodwill Outlet yesterday. Just about to be put in a pallet-sized box then forklifted onto a container, possibly headed for Central America (calling @JohnAAG, sorry dude!). There's a hole the size of a quarter in one sole and the heels are shot but the uppers cleaned up so well with only Bick 4, Saphir Renovateur and trees that I decided to have them recrafted by AE and give them to one of my sons. The last pair he got were some Alden 684 shell loafers; the kid is lucky let me tell you. fullsizeoutput_14cd.jpeg

IMG_6625.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

10. instigateur

instigateur Distinguished Member

Nunn Bush

11. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

Oh man, that would have been a damn shame if they hadn’t been rescued. Those are in fine shape. FYI, you don’t need to send them all the way through recrafting. The welt looks good, just have a good local cobbler do a resole (unless you don’t have a good cobbler, in which case AE recraft is a good option).

12. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

Day 5 of Shell Week. Cordwainer Wright LWB. These fit very wide, so I have to wear thick socks. But they are very comfortable. I was wearing them when I took most of the photos in Tokyo posted yesterday. Good walking shoes for exploring a city.

1DC10C2D-BA24-4B02-82FF-8F61267486EB.jpeg

13. wasmisterfu

Objection counselor; those are corrected grain / Polished <insert descriptor>, not BookBinder. Actual bookbinder leather is that “other stuff”.

At least that’s my opinion and I’m all about being opinionated.

14. wasmisterfu

Nice looking shoes.

15. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

I do have a very good one here and the cost would be about the same, for soles and heels. I was just noticing that the AE recraft includes recorking and reconditioning the uppers, which would be useful for this pair since they have some scuffs all around the heels. I'm going to have my son try them on when he's home for some other occasion and make sure they fit before I commit to either option though. Burgundy captoe oxfords are a great all-around choice of style for business and dressed-up casual wear, so they're worth investing in. Oh and BTW the AE Cambridge shell wingtips sold this morning for full price. Took a month and a half, but they're on their way to a new home.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018