• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once, I have to readily and ably disagree with a respected and longtime member.

I only have one pair of AE MacNeil (burgundy shell). Compared to any of my LWBs, I find them overly bulky and not sleek at all. I find AE attention to detailing is lower than all of the major US brands.

My opinion and $0.05 might get you a pair of vintage shoes.

With all due respect counselor (and granted, I have a strong and open pro-AE bias because I find them almost universally more comfortable than other brands), I don’t think you’re correct in your assessment.

And that’s my 2 cents.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The transformation between the before and after photos is amazing! Your shoes look almost brand new! That shoe is a very sharp looking shoe.
I’d love to say that it was a Mr. Noob level transformation, but truth is those shoes really weren’t in bad shape or all that heavily worn (still on their original factory soles and heels from 93), they were just horribly maintained. They might never have had a single application of post factory shoe polish. My impression is they were worn once or twice a year for 10-15 years, then abandoned in a closet for another 10 years before landing at a consignment shop. So they looked awful, but weren’t actually awful. They’re now one of my favorite pairs.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m taking a chance that the collective knowledge of the thread may know something of these shoes I found today while thrifting. They are from Rossetti and made for Battaglia. Made in Italy and the toe shape may indicate a bit of age. I really could find nothing on these online. If nothing else, a bit of shoe Appreciation. Size 10.5 D if someone has the hots for them.

D355363F-56CE-4F7C-AA75-197DDE2D80FE.jpeg
5C781487-50F7-4A91-BCE3-5A0460FCB628.jpeg
0E12BBC0-4F42-4409-9374-9BBAA21FCE40.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m taking a chance that the collective knowledge of the thread may know something of these shoes I found today while thrifting. They are from Rossetti and made for Battaglia. Made in Italy and the toe shape may indicate a bit of age. I really could find nothing on these online. If nothing else, a bit of shoe Appreciation. Size 10.5 D if someone has the hots for them.

View attachment 1021281 View attachment 1021282 View attachment 1021283
Well Rossetti didn’t change it’s branding until sometime in the 2000’s (IIRC). They’re a blake shoe (hidden channel), very well made. I’d guess late 80’s, early 90’s. The company is still around, maybe drop them an e-mail and they’ll know?

I wish we had that kinda stuff to thrift around here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This AE pair needs an explanation. Someone over polished them? Factory issue?

https://ebay.to/2MW7LnX
What the hell?! I don’t see a recraft brand (or seconds stamp), so these do appear to be NWOB firsts. So did they get packed with an open tube of AE polish? I’m at a loss. The stuff that lands on eBay is often baffling.

Given the polish stains on the trees, I’m gonna guess this wasn’t a factory issue.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

As to hydrating and conditioning:

I have no experience with anything other than Lexol and Lexol NF. I no longer use NF as I don't see an appreciable difference between the two. I keep feeding drinks to the shoes until they stop drinking, then I leave them to dry for a couple of days. When I've started the polishing regime early I find they're a little sticky so I have to brush and polish more than if I wait a day or two. I do that with all the shoes I receive and naturally, some drink more than others.

I find that if you feed the rolls on shell with a small amount of Lexol well rubbed in, then gradually the white bloom stops after a few applications however, it does eventually return. I guess that's one of the attractions of shell, eh? I have AE, Florsheim, an English maker and Alden in shell, and I find the best finish is without a doubt the vintage Florsheim.
All the above is only my experience and I'm sure others will have a different take on things.

kilowatts

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the previous owner polished them, and handled them with a polish-covered rag.

What the hell?! I don’t see a recraft brand (or seconds stamp), so these do appear to be NWOB firsts. So did they get packed with an open tube of AE polish? I’m at a loss. The stuff that lands on eBay is often baffling.

Given the polish stains on the trees, I’m gonna guess this wasn’t a factory issue.

Do new ones have JR soles? They look to me like they have had new soles. The shoe trees have stretched them quite a bit, but I think I see slight shell rolls. I don’t think they are new.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

As to hydrating and conditioning:

I have no experience with anything other than Lexol and Lexol NF. I no longer use NF as I don't see an appreciable difference between the two. I keep feeding drinks to the shoes until they stop drinking, then I leave them to dry for a couple of days. When I've started the polishing regime early I find they're a little sticky so I have to brush and polish more than if I wait a day or two. I do that with all the shoes I receive and naturally, some drink more than others.

I find that if you feed the rolls on shell with a small amount of Lexol well rubbed in, then gradually the white bloom stops after a few applications however, it does eventually return. I guess that's one of the attractions of shell, eh? I have AE, Florsheim, an English maker and Alden in shell, and I find the best finish is without a doubt the vintage Florsheim.
All the above is only my experience and I'm sure others will have a different take on things.

kilowatts
NF is great for CXL.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hydration question for you gents. I have a pair where the insole is seriously hard as a rock. Has anyone tried the glycerin treatment to soften that up some?

mariusscott

Reaction score
Came across these today, ironically I currently have in my possession 3 different sizes of the same model of Dack's. These are the nicest of the 3, someone dropped some money to have them topy'd and new heels, outers are in great shape. Size 10.5D, water bison or buffalo depending on what side of North American you hail from. Listed them but let me know if they are of interest to anyone.

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

download.png

IMG_2629.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do new ones have JR soles? They look to me like they have had new soles. The shoe trees have stretched them quite a bit, but I think I see slight shell rolls. I don’t think they are new.

At some point, new AE shells started to use JR soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads