• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LLEE

Reaction score
Actually, I’d guarantee those are not, based solely on the creasing.
The man-made materials label usually denotes a lower quality shoe which likely wouldn’t be shell to begin with.
I love my old Hanover’s, but I’ve never seen one with that era logo that compares.

Steppin'Out

Reaction score
I’m not expert, but I’m fairly certain those are not cordovan.

Also, “Vintage” is pretty open, but I believe >20 years is a standard definition. Although, anything that even appears to meet that stylistically is alright to look at in my books.

I had thought that, couldn't find the serial number online. There was an identical looking pair of Hanover loafers on VCleat that he labelled as shell but with a different serial number. So felt it could go either way.

actionjbone

Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on these:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HANOVER-Men...158772?hash=item239ece0b34:g:sx4AAOSwz9la0BKv

Not super cheap but I'd be interested to see the hype over shell. Assume they are 80s?

Also, on a slightly different note, I wanted to hear your opinions on what constitutes a 'vintage' shoe? Is it literally the age, the age + styling? If it's just age, when is the cut off?

To me, vintage is the following:

1. Any brand that is no longer made (e.g. ET Wright, Hanover);

2. Brand is still around, but no longer manufacturing in a specific country (e.g. made in USA Florsheim);

3. Any shoe older than 15 years old. This number is flexible.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on these:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HANOVER-Men...158772?hash=item239ece0b34:g:sx4AAOSwz9la0BKv

Not super cheap but I'd be interested to see the hype over shell. Assume they are 80s?

Also, on a slightly different note, I wanted to hear your opinions on what constitutes a 'vintage' shoe? Is it literally the age, the age + styling? If it's just age, when is the cut off?

Yes, not shell. Faux shell

I use 25 years as the boundary for "vintage". So the 80s and some of the 90s are already vintage.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opinions on these:

I’m not expert, but I’m fairly certain those are not cordovan.

Also, “Vintage” is pretty open, but I believe >20 years is a standard definition. Although, anything that even appears to meet that stylistically is alright to look at in my books.

To me, vintage is the following:

1. Any brand that is no longer made (e.g. ET Wright, Hanover);

2. Brand is still around, but no longer manufacturing in a specific country (e.g. made in USA Florsheim);

3. Any shoe older than 15 years old. This number is flexible.

I use 25 years as the boundary for "vintage". So the 80s and some of the 90s are already vintage.

All good answers on what vintage means. But around here, we use a very loose definition.

Dbc0919

Reaction score
I know a few of you are owners of the 93633 Forest Green Imperials, (speaking to DavidVC if no one else). Acquired a pair and finally had some time to clean them up . . . Did the Lexol NF and then Bick and some VSC. The things were definitely not green green when I got them but now, they look really brown with maybe a hint of green in certain lighting. Is this generally to be expected? I bought some Collonil in forest green but I'm wondering if its better to start over by cleaning with Lexol cleaner or to apply the Collonil?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I think 25 years ago, I think of the early 1980s.....

I am so old.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Today felt like a Sears natural day.

IMG_20180419_132906724_HDR.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score

kilowatts

Reaction score
Opinions on these:

Hi There:

Not shell! Many times the eBay vendor either doesn't know or doesn't care that he may be wrong in his description. Luckily, the guys on this site will all help you out in that regard.
I think the hype around shell is due to it's cost and rarity along with a certain look. Further, the shoes made from shell are usually a very conservative style and fit the vintage vibe. Also, properly maintained they will last a lifetime as shell is spectacularly tough stuff.

kilowatts

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads