• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made Hartt. These came to me NOS. I seem to summon these to service quite often.

The classic gunboat accentuated by the contrast stitching. A healthy dose of Bick 4 last night.

I will be on holidays and parental leave for the next few months. Don't know how often I will wear dress shoes. So in advance, I seek your collective forgiveness for the low shoe Appreciation contribution.
IMG_20180320_071746.jpg

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these Knapp longwings as bad weather beaters a few years ago for $10(I know because the price is still written on the sole). They cleaned up nicely and fit so comfortably that they've gotten a lot more wear.
thumbnail.jpg

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE needs to bring this style back.
I know that after AE discontinued the Brentwood in 1989 they reintroduced it several years later as a moc toe with no split toe,not an improvement IMO,then during that run in the early 2000s they brought back the old Brentwood,this time renamed the Seneca. The Seneca only lasted a few years. So I guess tgey did try to bring it back,too bad it didn’t work out. A cool shoe.

TonyJoe

Reaction score
I know that after AE discontinued the Brentwood in 1989 they reintroduced it several years later as a moc toe with no split toe,not an improvement IMO,then during that run in the early 2000s they brought back the old Brentwood,this time renamed the Seneca. The Seneca only lasted a few years. So I guess tgey did try to bring it back,too bad it didn’t work out. A cool shoe.
Yeah, I've seen the Seneca on eBay a few times. Always in 9D, and since it's on the 65 last I've always had to pass (too narrow for me). Although now that I think about it, I've never tried a blucher in the 65 last. Just the balmorals. Hmm...

Great looking shoes, though!

LLEE

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’m in need of assistance. I am on the hunt for a classic pair of U-tipped derbies. I know at least one member has a drop dead gorgeous pair (E.T. Wright’s?), but I am having a hard time tracking down any.
Were these under any other name at any time other than U-tip/utip etc? I seem to pull up plenty of apron/moc toe which is not what I desire at all. Any suggestions for who made some standout styles?
Think AE University, but Derby quarters

PSU John

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’m in need of assistance. I am on the hunt for a classic pair of U-tipped derbies. I know at least one member has a drop dead gorgeous pair (E.T. Wright’s?), but I am having a hard time tracking down any.
Were these under any other name at any time other than U-tip/utip etc? I seem to pull up plenty of apron/moc toe which is not what I desire at all. Any suggestions for who made some standout styles?
Think AE University, but Derby quarters

The U-tips seem to have become pretty much extinct by the early '60s. I have seen them from Nunn-Bush as well as Florsheim. I'm pretty sure that all of the major quality shoe brands had a U-tip model. Good luck!

LLEE

Reaction score
The U-tips seem to have become pretty much extinct by the early '60s. I have seen them from Nunn-Bush as well as Florsheim. I'm pretty sure that all of the major quality shoe brands had a U-tip model. Good luck!
Indeed, Nunn-Bush! I had overlooked them in my searches. The Trenton is one of the most beautiful shoes I’ve seen. I’d just need to break my “no oxfords with jeans”...and find a good pair in 9, if anyone happens to come across!

M.Photog

Reaction score
After just having dealt with the first Amazon pop up annoyance in over three weeks I shall now post some vintage shoe Appreciation-the AE Ostendo cushioned heel Brentwoods View attachment 943964 View attachment 943966

I have them in black, after seeing your brown pair I will be on the hunt. I wore them to church on Sunday and then again yesterday evening after seeing your post. They fit great, not sure why I don’t wear them more often. Until Sunday I hadn’t had them on in several weeks.

43C5F4AD-D86F-435A-94C6-77B49F27C3D0.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up these Knapp longwings as bad weather beaters a few years ago for $10(I know because the price is still written on the sole). They cleaned up nicely and fit so comfortably that they've gotten a lot more wear.
View attachment 944247

Those look really well built. While I can't tell anything about the leather quality, I am impressed to see the double row of stitching along the brogue at a decent stitch per inch. You may have bought them as beaters, but they look like a really decent shoe. I will keep my eyes open for other Knapps.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads