1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. actionjbone

actionjbone Senior Member

2. TonyJoe

TonyJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed.

If you're looking for something to hide scratches/color loss, I'd go with AE. The Saphir stuff is nice (it imparts a wonderful glow), but AE's Cordovan Care really sticks to the leather better than anything I've tried (which is a problem with shell) and it's about 1/3 the price. Just make sure to apply evenly and lightly. It's really sticky and dries quickly, so it's prone to streaking. Also, it has a higher, glossier shine than Saphir.

3. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

So I’m working on a pair of shell MacNeils, and there are a couple places with this kind of staining/color inconsistency. Any idea what it might be?

I’m still running it through a few rounds of Bick 4, which is evening it out a little. But I’m wondering if my next step is a little Renomat to see if the color will even out, or move on the AE cordovan cream to increase the color on the lighter sections.

FBD3F3BD-A8E7-47E2-8DA3-D9E8A7270520.jpeg

4. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior Member

Saw these on the Bay and did the buy it now without really thinking or thoroughly reading the listing. 93633 from 1967. Probably overpaid given condition but, hey,what's the chance of ever seeing another pair in my size. We'll see when they get here.
    Florsheim.PNG

5. Thomas Crown

Thomas Crown Distinguished Member

They look to be in nice shape from what I can tell-I picked up a pair last year and yes,I spent alot more than I would for a used shoe but,I have a mental condition pertaining to shoes. Anyway,my Forest Imperials are also in good condition--maybe they didn’t sell many because guys couldn’t figure out what to wear them with so the few who did buy them found that to be the case and stuck them in a shoebox for 50 years—therefore,lucky us! My style suggestion? Wear them with everything! 398CBF33-530E-44ED-987A-299275897C74.jpeg

6. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

7. actionjbone

actionjbone Senior Member

Looks like water spots. If so, Bick 4 wouldn't really fix it, since it's a moisturizer.

You'd need to use a cleaner, something like Bick 1 or Renomat.

For best long-term results, you probably do want to clean it up before trying to polish over it.

8. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior Member

Description and photo show cracking on right shoe . . Like I said, in my zeal, didn't read closely. Maybe some forest green shoe cream will help. Anyway, second pair of green for me . . won't have any problem wearing!

upload_2018-3-13_16-11-56.png

9. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Senior Member

Perhaps it is simply in my imagination, but I find that if I condition shell with VSC prior to applying AE cordovan cream I get a longer "working time" before the polish dries. This might have something to do with the waxes in the VSC? I can apply the cordovan cream and brush to even things out to avoid streaking with plenty of adjustment time. The shoes actually have that cold, tacky feel for quite some time before they feel fully dry. Then I hit them with a final brushing and they glow nicely.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Thanks.
    They were already in my watch list!

11. Thomas Crown

You have TWO pairs of 93633? Nice problem to have! That’s like those people who win the lottery more than once

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I'd definitely smack those puppies with a couple rounds of Renomat. You'll want a couple good rounds of Bick 4 after that, and then a couple of thin coast of the Cordovan cream...

13. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior Member

Nah.... not so fortunate. Have green suede Aldens.

14. Thomas Crown

You KNOW how awesome the 93633 Forest Imperials are when green suede Aldens are a “disappointment “! Lol!!

15. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Senior Member

Not vintage and not shell, but this pair of thrifted Pistolero brogues are kind of cool. 10.5

fullsizeoutput_c60.jpeg
    C48D84DF-C515-4E4C-9446-507E7F9FB11D.jpeg