• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got suggestions for a good glue for wifey’s heel? Or is this a no brainer gorilla glue fix?
IMG_6855.jpeg
IMG_6856.jpeg

actionjbone

Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J for Ralph Lauren whiskey shell short wing bluchers. These are a grail pair for me. I wanted a pair ever since I installed grommets on a pair Alberto Suastez owns. I got them for an incredible deal. But they needed some TLC. I used acetone to strip them. Then I sanded the shell, starting with 800 grit and working up to 3000. I avoided sanding the brogue so as not to sand down the stitching. It left the brogue darker, which I like. I sun-faded them for two days and finished them with a round of Pure Polish cordovan cream (that stuff is amazing, BTW). I’m happy with how they came out. These really are stunning shoes. The only problem is that they are a very high volume shoe, and so my slightly wide and flat 9D foot is sort of swimming in them. I’m going to add an insole to see if that helps. Here’s the before and after, with the refurbished in between.
IMG_6265.jpeg
IMG_6266.jpeg
IMG_6267.jpeg
IMG_6244.jpeg
IMG_6245.jpeg
IMG_6268.jpeg
IMG_6269.jpeg

actionjbone

Reaction score

actionjbone

Reaction score
I've got a new appreciation for suede's durability.

A few days ago I thrifted a pair of old Alfred Sargent chelseas.

Pre-cleanup photo:
IMG_20240610_234743074~2.jpg

The left boot had a pretty bad patch of gunk about halfway down the right side. I couldn't get it out with brushing alone. I tried a little steam, and that didn't do anything, either.

I brought them to my new cobbler, Raul, to see if they could be saved. Not even exaggerating, it took him less than a minute to get it looking good. He taught me a technique using a knife and fine sandpaper - to scrape out the gunk and then bring up some nap.

I finished them up at home, and now they're looking good!

I don't know why I thought you couldn't be that rough with suede.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pre-cleanup photo:
View attachment 2200485

The left boot had a pretty bad patch of gunk about halfway down the right side. I couldn't get it out with brushing alone. I tried a little steam, and that didn't do anything, either.

I brought them to my new cobbler, Raul, to see if they could be saved. Not even exaggerating, it took him less than a minute to get it looking good. He taught me a technique using a knife and fine sandpaper - to scrape out the gunk and then bring up some nap.

post pic?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93606s rebuilt with Dainite soles and grommets. Some Mad Dog Laces for a different look.

20240615_105050.jpg
20240615_105059.jpg
20240615_105142.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pre-cleanup photo:
View attachment 2200485

That’s exactly my experience with suede. Suede looks all soft, fluffy and delicate, but it’s like the Wolverine of leathers. It’s way tougher than it looks.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choigamemanvip