• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy WTW forum pals. It's smokey here on the east coast, but that's no excuse for not wearing nice shoes.

IMG_3023.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know it’s wingtip Wednesday, but rules exist to be broken.

Stetson alligator split-toes. It just felt like an alligator day today.

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0061.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Dundee in brown shell today…
IMG_3788.jpeg
IMG_3789.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#wingtipwednesday compliance check.

90th anniversary AE Broadstreets for an evening event. But started the day with Florsheim PTBs.
20230607_103943.jpg
20230607_103946.jpg
20230607_165848.jpg
20230607_165853.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. It was time for some retail therapy and I stumbled on to some NOS Hanover LWBs. Not sure when these were made, but I have been quite pleased with the fit on several other pairs of Hanover shoes I have and it was time they were joined by these. These are a bit of an outlier and not found in the 1970 catalog on Vcleat.com. None of the LWBs in the catalog have 6 eyelets and the shoe size for EEE in the catalog ends at 11. These are 12EEE. The style number is 3312, which apparently went through many design change over the years. I have seen it in their LB Sheppard line, the later comfort arch line, five eyelets and six eyelets and both rubber heel and Vcleat.

s-l1600.jpg

Another oddity is the heel design. I have seen rubber heels and nailed leather heels, but this is my first exposure to a nailed rubber heel.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.30.22 AM.png

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jeopardy Category is Unicorns.

A: Bigfoot, The Loch Ness Monster, A Coherent Fiscal Monetary Strategy for Developing Coutries, and these shoes.

Q: What are things fabled to exist but are rarely seen.

These are vintage Florsheim Yuma with Alligator vamp. Someone on here coined the term “YumaGator” which seems fitting.

IMG_9161.jpeg
IMG_9162.jpeg
IMG_9163.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. It was time for some retail therapy and I stumbled on to some NOS Hanover LWBs. Not sure when these were made, but I have been quite pleased with the fit on several other pairs of Hanover shoes I have and it was time they were joined by these. These are a bit of an outlier and not found in the 1970 catalog on Vcleat.com. None of the LWBs in the catalog have 6 eyelets and the shoe size for EEE in the catalog ends at 11. These are 12EEE. The style number is 3312, which apparently went through many design change over the years. I have seen it in their LB Sheppard line, the later comfort arch line, five eyelets and six eyelets and both rubber heel and Vcleat.

View attachment 1971363

Another oddity is the heel design. I have seen rubber heels and nailed leather heels, but this is my first exposure to a nailed rubber heel.

View attachment 1971367

I had a pair of shell LWB from Hanover like this...and they tore because I didn't realize the shell was dehydrated.

RIP. :(

I think I like Hanover as much as Florsheim.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here’s a question:

A few years ago, I sourced a pair of Church’s saddle oxfords that had layer upon layer upon layer of brown wax on them. “Patina” one person called them, but the wax was cracking and pretty ratchet when you looked at them up close. In the process of removing all that wax, I discovered that it was “polished binder” as Church’s likes to call it, and some of the top layer wore thin while stripping the wax.

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to do a mild color/polish/wax to cover the thin spots, or if I’m now committed to a full acetone strip of the coating to get back to the original calf underneath.

Thoughts?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So here’s a question:

A few years ago, I sourced a pair of Church’s saddle oxfords that had layer upon layer upon layer of brown wax on them. “Patina” one person called them, but the wax was cracking and pretty ratchet when you looked at them up close. In the process of removing all that wax, I discovered that it was “polished binder” as Church’s likes to call it, and some of the top layer wore thin while stripping the wax.

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to do a mild color/polish/wax to cover the thin spots, or if I’m now committed to a full acetone strip of the coating to get back to the original calf underneath.

Thoughts?

Under the "less is more" theory, you could try the spot fix approach. I think you will be unhappy with the results, but it is worth a try. Then you will likely end up stripping the entire shoe and working your way back.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's Florsheim Friday forum pals! My latest unicorn size shell PTBs were just demanding another trip outside.

IMG_3026.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dack’s kudu wholecuts today…
IMG_3793.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93606s yesterday…
IMG_3791.jpeg
IMG_3790.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals.

IMG_3027.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads