• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seamster

Reaction score
Photos and update on Banister Shoe refurbishment:
After cleaning and double round of Lexol neatsfoot.
20180215_195543.jpg

Glycerine treatment. Pre and post photos show grain and color change with absorption .
20180216_222705.jpg

After an overnight swaddling!
20180217_100815.jpg

Markings on inside lining. Does anyone here have knowledge of the brand to share?
20180215_191746.jpg

Have a great day y'all!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always understood that cracks cannot be fixed. They can perhaps be sanded and smoothed a bit or covered with polish, but once the leather cracks, it cannot actually be fixed.

Fair enough. I'm not a cobbler. But Steve Doudalkian from Bedos always says he can fix anything.

But I believe we're all in agreement these shoes are NOT worth fixing.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Photos and update on Banister Shoe refurbishment:
After cleaning and double round of Lexol neatsfoot.
View attachment 928626

Glycerine treatment. Pre and post photos show grain and color change with absorption . View attachment 928627
After an overnight swaddling!
View attachment 928628

Markings on inside lining. Does anyone here have knowledge of the brand to share?
View attachment 928629

Have a great day y'all!
Very cool. Can you show a profile shot? Those have very inserting broguing

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until I saw the second pic, I thought you were posting B&W (i.e. vintage-style) pix.

LOL. True.

Black slacks, black shoes, and black socks. Then a grey carpet.

I normally jazz things up with coloured socks, but they're in the wash.

LLEE

Reaction score
Maybe a little off topic, but have any of you had to deal with special insurance/loss recovery for your shoe collections? The newer shoes my insurance agent says is easy, just ensure I have appropriate documentation and coverage for the amounts. It's the valuation of the vintage stuff my agent takes issue with, and in the event of a loss (one mild house fire really makes you think about this kind of thing) I don't have a good feeling they'd see my side.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little off topic, but have any of you had to deal with special insurance/loss recovery for your shoe collections? The newer shoes my insurance agent says is easy, just ensure I have appropriate documentation and coverage for the amounts. It's the valuation of the vintage stuff my agent takes issue with, and in the event of a loss (one mild house fire really makes you think about this kind of thing) I don't have a good feeling they'd see my side.
It would seem like completed eBay auctions and specialty website should be enough to provide comps. Or maybe an "agreed value" policy?

actionjbone

Reaction score

Ask your insurance agent if they'll honor appraisals for each pair from an antiquarian who specializes in clothing.

If your agent says no and can't give you any other options, it's time to find a new agent!

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could go the way of collectible insurance. This outfit will ensure most any collection.

https://collectinsure.com/what-we-i...6m_qgyJur18sG77mXNOLKTEjd-5Y9ZTEaAkGeEALw_wcB

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For your shoes, refer them to classic shoes for men.com

Those prices are clearly fair, properly appraised, and within parameters.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a full reconditioning of a pair of Canadian made long wingtips I thrifted.

You can see I got it heavily soiled so I did the following:
- Disinfection with vinegar/hot water on the inside
- Spot cleaning with Jason Markk cleaner
- Leather conditioner application and a buff after drying
- Leather lotion and buffing after drying
- Sole edge polishing
- Singed loose threading
- Replace with new shoelaces
- Take photos for Likes

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

IMG_20180220_213336.jpg

IMG_20180220_215312.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads