• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here comes another one - If I’m having GYW shoes resoled is it possible to have the fit tweaked? I’d like to have the heals a touch narrower and the outer edge by my little toes a touch wider. Nothing extreme mind you, a couple of mms or so.
Thanks!
I am dubious that it can be done and that you would get exactly what you desire. Keep in mind that the resole will also give a new mid sole that will have to be broken in and pushed down for your foot print. This will also alter the fit So it would be a while before you could tell if any changes took place in the resole.
Ok thanks, I guess either way the forefoot could be stretched a little after the fact.
You can but the cobbler - a very skilled cobbler - would have to remake the footbed. I imagine it’s an expensive job. I know Bedo’s can do it.
Thank you, I detect a trend here…

Bedos has definitely done it, along with other skilled cobblers.

Martin Sugg and also Corey Hiltz at Fix em Up in Barrie can also take on this kind of work. They are close to Steve at Bedos so will likely consult him if they need to.

I've found that if a new interior footbed is installed, this will tighten the fit. As for widening the vamp area, Bedos did work that took a pair from D to EE width. There should be a video and IIRC, they were vintage shells.

MathMan314

Reaction score
Bedos has definitely done it, along with other skilled cobblers.

Martin Sugg and also Corey Hiltz at Fix em Up in Barrie can also take on this kind of work. They are close to Steve at Bedos so will likely consult him if they need to.

I've found that if a new interior footbed is installed, this will tighten the fit. As for widening the vamp area, Bedos did work that took a pair from D to EE width. There should be a video and IIRC, they were vintage shells.
Here is the video. (@suitforcourt you are correct about them being shell.)

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1940’s Footjoy

F21FD287-1A2B-4337-8E81-0FAA568A88CD.jpeg
9C7EDA8E-3701-4C63-ADEB-A6D41D57FF48.jpeg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here comes another one - If I’m having GYW shoes resoled is it possible to have the fit tweaked? I’d like to have the heals a touch narrower and the outer edge by my little toes a touch wider. Nothing extreme mind you, a couple of mms or so.
Thanks!
What pair are you looking to have work done on?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some older Bostonians I picked up on ebay.
Nice shoes, but that’s a major money investment for another pair of longwings. Replacement cost must be considered. I definitely respect the concept and effort though. I’ve spent nice money to rework vintage shoes I the past, but always for rare (irreplaceable) models.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes, but that’s a major money investment for another pair of longwings. Replacement cost must be considered. I definitely respect the concept and effort though. I’ve spent nice money to rework vintage shoes I the past, but always for rare (irreplaceable) models.
Thing is, these cost me 25usd, I have them in hand, they’re much better made than anything new that’s available locally, and getting such a shoe with the kind of grip I’m interested in would cost a fortune, and, I like them! I live in a very small mid-continental market that generally has **** for shoes available : )

heathenist

Reaction score
Okay, I’d like some opinions. I’m getting married in October and have my suit already, but need to decide on shoes, shirt, tie, watch, etc. I have some nice vintage shoes (which I’m sure I’ve posted in here before), but can’t decide which ones go best with the suit.
Here is the suit for reference (MTO Marling & Evans Merino Wool):
D8378FB0-87C4-4CA0-9F72-94C957C6A667.jpeg

The shoes I’m wearing in that not-so-great picture are these vintage shortwing McHales I picked up recently. In excellent condition. Love the shape, love the style, but worry that the color is to bright for the suit in question:
E2EA0F60-6C3F-47D7-8811-C54ECCD7CDB9.jpeg

I have these shell Florsheim PTBs I also just recently picked up and posted about. If anything these have the opposite problem, plain (as the name suggests), and very dark. I also worry that the reddish brown will look odd with the reddish brown of the suit:
D0275613-8B3D-40F6-BA0B-8253612EE81F.jpeg

Finally, I have these Florsheim longwings, but sadly they have seen better days. Cracks are starting to form and the creasing is pretty bad. I like this style and color the best I think, but just worry about the condition looking too beat up for a 3-piece suit:
6C7C10A3-0113-4322-87B7-0A980FDA22BF.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, I’d like some opinions. I’m getting married in October and have my suit already, but need to decide on shoes, shirt, tie, watch, etc. I have some nice vintage shoes (which I’m sure I’ve posted in here before), but can’t decide which ones go best with the suit.
View attachment 1811081

The shoes I’m wearing in that not-so-great picture are these vintage shortwing McHales I picked up recently. In excellent condition. Love the shape, love the style, but worry that the color is to bright for the suit in question:
View attachment 1811082

I have these shell Florsheim PTBs I also just recently picked up and posted about. If anything these have the opposite problem, plain (as the name suggests), and very dark. I also worry that the reddish brown will look odd with the reddish brown of the suit:
View attachment 1811083

Finally, I have these Florsheim longwings, but sadly they have seen better days. Cracks are starting to form and the creasing is pretty bad. I like this style and color the best I think, but just worry about the condition looking too beat up for a 3-piece suit:
View attachment 1811085

Ok,I am the worst person to ask about this type of thing, but you did ask. The Florsheim and McHale are too light. The PTB is better because it is darker. If it were me, I would wear black. Now, here is the experienced old guy solution. Find two you like and ask your bride which one she wants. Go with that one. It earns lots of points and teaches how pick battles. Pardon the advice, but I have been married 43 years and my wife says I have been right 6 times.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing is, these cost me 25usd, I have them in hand, they’re much better made than anything new that’s available locally, and getting such a shoe with the kind of grip I’m interested in would cost a fortune, and, I like them! I live in a very small mid-continental market that generally has **** for shoes available : )
Availability is definitely a big factor. Please take some pics and show the progress if you undertake the task. Gotta have fun

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1811081

View attachment 1811082

View attachment 1811083

View attachment 1811085
First pair. Not even close. Great shoes. Congrats on your Big Day.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok,I am the worst person to ask about this type of thing, but you did ask. The Florsheim and McHale are too light. The PTB is better because it is darker. If it were me, I would wear black. Now, here is the experienced old guy solution. Find two you like and ask your bride which one she wants. Go with that one. It earns lots of points and teaches how pick battles. Pardon the advice, but I have been married 43 years and my wife says I have been right 6 times.
That’s the MARRIED approach. Lol. Once married, always ask about anything you know matters to her. Before… she ain’t worried about the shoes. Lol. Yet!

heathenist

Reaction score
Haha well, first off, my fiancé and I tend to have a lot of respect for each other’s opinions when it comes to style and I’ve also ran it by her as well and I don’t think she feels strongly one way or the other. The only thing she is insistent on is that she says the PTBs are red, not brown.

As for black shoes, I do have some Florsheim 92604 longwings, but I disagree that black would be fitting for this suit. For one thing, it’s a brown suit, and I tend to be the type to think that black shoes shoes generally be reserved for black suits (with some exceptions). But additionally, the groomsmen will all be wearing brown shoes. So I’d like a little bit of consistency there.
First pair. Not even close. Great shoes. Congrats on your Big Day.
Thanks! I like them too, but like I said, just worry that the color is too loud for the suit. I’m sure I’m overthinking it though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads