• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

hamercha

Reaction score
In the US? Materials and manufacturing. In the 1960’s, US makers started to switch to even more “mass production” for domestically made footwear. Quality became less important to the public, and lower costs more important. Profit margins benefited from that business model, but overall quality suffered greatly.
Perhaps people could afford only few things, so they tended to buy few but good quality things. Therefore the product quality reflect this.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a person to pick up my pair of boots for me from a retailer in LA. The shop in near Western and Beverly Blvd. I will be happy to pay any charge for gas and mailing. I can't do it because I am 2700 miles away. Please PM me if you are willing to assist me.
You might want to consider paying for insurance as well. Why cheap out, in the event the shoes are blown up on the way?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might want to consider paying for insurance as well. Why cheap out, in the event the shoes are blown up on the way?
Good idea. I am just trying to get a pair of my boots back. Something happened to the guy and he went from good work to a disaster and just is not doing the work or returning calls. He has promised to send them back multiple times. I am trying to get them back before his business goes under and they are lost forever. I sent them to him 4.5 months ago for a 20 minute job on the hooks.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I am just trying to get a pair of my boots back. Something happened to the guy and he went from good work to a disaster and just is not doing the work or returning calls. He has promised to send them back multiple times. I am trying to get them back before his business goes under and they are lost forever. I sent them to him 4.5 months ago for a 20 minute job on the hooks.
So, this is a rescue mission...Excited for updates!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have a volunteer who has been briefed. If captured the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of the mission.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps people could afford only few things, so they tended to buy few but good quality things. Therefore the product quality reflect this.
Also a part of the long forgotten US style philosophy.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Florsheim Beacons from 1966 today.
F1723A9B-04DD-4DE1-B811-E2780E938AD6.jpeg
27007442-96B5-4779-B48A-03B2A151219F.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knapp Bros captoe kangaroo bluchers today. These have a loose tongue (don't we all) that tends to migrate down and to the right during the course of the day, so they don't see a whole lot of action.
20220516_172703.jpg

Also 1969 Bulova Whale. Don't mind the incorrect date -- I managed to somehow mess up the quick-set mechanism when I gave it a service and I haven't bothered to check out what's wrong. This is on a correct style Speidel Twist-o-Flex bracelet.
20220516_172724.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Knapp Bros captoe kangaroo bluchers today. These have a loose tongue (don't we all) that tends to migrate down and to the right during the course of the day, so they don't see a whole lot of action.
View attachment 1792710

Also 1969 Bulova Whale. Don't mind the incorrect date -- I managed to somehow mess up the quick-set mechanism when I gave it a service and I haven't bothered to check out what's wrong. This is on a correct style Speidel Twist-o-Flex bracelet.
View attachment 1792711
Have you considered having a cobbler put in a few discreet stitches to hold the wandering tongue in place?

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chilwellacprice