• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chickene

Reaction score
2 front burgundy color are shell.
The burgundy MacNeils in the front are also shell. The one pair of boots in the back could be shell, but the resolution on my phone isn't very good.
My instincts weren’t so bad after all :) left burgundy turned out to be bookbinder:

9B8CE074-F063-4A0A-80F9-107A997B0A6F.jpeg

The other pair was shell though (as I suspected) and I’ll probably be reselling it to someone with 10EE sized feet.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1974 GH is finally showing it’s age. So sad. Maybe keeping the renovateur on it will hold it here. Any tips?
23405594-507B-49B9-901C-48FEC2B031F9.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1974 GH is finally showing it’s age. So sad. Maybe keeping the renovateur on it will hold it here. Any tips?
View attachment 1791775

I had a vintage pair of AE boots with cracks like that. A lot of cracks all over the vamps.

So I did the wet sanding method. First I inserted the tightest fitting shoe trees. Then I used different sand papers to grind the cracks. I applied Bick 4 first and then sanded. I'd let it dry, and examine the crack.

I did this routine a few times over the course of a few days. And it was pretty successful. As long as the cracks don't go all the way through, this method should be fine.

Good luck!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My instincts weren’t so bad after all :) left burgundy turned out to be bookbinder:

View attachment 1791744

The other pair was shell though (as I suspected) and I’ll probably be reselling it to someone with 10EE sized feet.

The burgundy MacNeils can be kind of tricky. The style number 9147 was used for both their shell and the polish cobbler versions. The style number shows up in lists of shell shoes, and this leads some Ebay flippers to just assume the style is always shell even when it is clear that many of them are the polished cobbler version.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes were just made better back in the day. My more modern MacNeils are garbage compared to these!

The finest pair of shoes I own are a pair of 1988 Allen Edmonds Chesters in black calf. They are stunningly well made and beautiful. I mean, easily comparable to shoes in the ~1000 dollar range nowadays.

Thanks @smfdoc for telling me to buy them!

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
It’s Commencement!

Allen Edmonds MacNeil from ~1966-1973.

It has the “owl eye slug” in the heel — AE’s own version of the v-cleat — which I’ve confirmed from catalogs from ‘68-72, but haven’t been able to find ‘66, ‘67 or ‘73 catalogs to put a definitive beginning and end date on that feature.

View attachment 1791384
View attachment 1791385

Was the owl's eye rubber or plastic?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finest pair of shoes I own are a pair of 1988 Allen Edmonds Chesters in black calf. They are stunningly well made and beautiful. I mean, easily comparable to shoes in the ~1000 dollar range nowadays.

Thanks @smfdoc for telling me to buy them!

let’s not get crazy now. They were nice shoes. Nice. 1988 was late in the US shoemaking game. They are nowhere near the 1960’s and earlier US shoes that were definitely “$1000 shoes”. Solid? Absolutely.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was the owl's eye rubber or plastic?

The appear to me to be a hard plastic slug. But I have only seen one pair and they may have also used other materials at some point in time.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The appear to me to be a hard plastic slug. But I have only seen one pair and they may have also used other materials at some point in time.

I wonder if the rubber or plastic piece helped to slow down wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads